PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• prophecy_grrl
    prophecy_grrl Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm late posting, but am aiming for £120 for June, as it's a four week month for me @ £30 p/w.

Good luck everyone :)

p_grrl
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Guppycaz
    Guppycaz Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    NSD for me :j Have updated my signature with spends and feeling ok with the amount so far.

Have made red pepper, carrot and lentil soup for dinner. Just making a cauliflower (YS) and potato curry which will be used for DH packet lunch with some rice.

Am getting a real buzz from cooking from scratch:)
    Grocery Challenge: June £92/£500
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mrs Addicted To Spending :)_
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    Still got a horrible cold today!! Am abit fed up as it wasnt quite what I had in mind for my week off work :(

On the upside I have spent £3 today but that was paid to second purse- its not so bad spending money when your paying yourself :rotfl:

I have had t*sco value museil for breakfast padded out with extra rasins, crushed nuts, seeds and oats- i tip the t*sco stuff in a jar add my extras and give it a good shake :D

Then HM tomato and basil soup made with reduced tomatos and peppers from A*ldi (brought & made saturday) and for tea HM spag bol with ys mince :D
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone! For a while it looked like we were going to pop to the local supermarket as I'm running a bit low on milk and bread, but Mr KB got distracted by the internet and we've not been out of the house today :s Still, it does mean that this is the 2nd NSD in a row - a bit of a rarity for me lately!

Savesummore - I got reading the 2nd purse thread today to see if I could make it work for me, but I don't think it's going to be something I adopt. :) I do understand it, but just won't be using it. :) Hope your cold is much better soon!

Tea tonight is a chicken Rogan Josh. I'm using a jar of sauce because HM curries never work for me. It's something I would really like to make - probably never happen though :blush: I've (amazingly) still got a few cookies leftover in the tin so if we need a sweet fix we've got something to nibble on.

Have a lovely evening, everyone. Take care.

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Options
    I,ve been brave and opned up one of the bags of minced beef from App foods. It is already cooked and seasoned in gravy and a quick cold tasting tells me it needs nothing else! So I've made a pie and a pasty with the leftover pastry and still have loads left! for anyone else who bought it a month or so ago I assure you it is fab stuff!:j:j:j:j:j I may make a curry or a chilli with some of it then freeze the rest or I may end up freezing whats left right now because I'm also making pizzas as I've got leftover ham and pineapple chunks in the fridge so I really have to use them up. Also have a herby quick loaf(no yeast)in the oven as I was making pizza base in the BM. That should feed us for a couple of days!:money:

Mmm I could of course make a few pasties also-I could use up the lentils, add some carotts and the beef and will still have loads over as the packet was 2 kilos!:D
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    payingitoff & purplesheila - Welcome both. As you are both brand new posters I thought I would offer a couple of tips/suggestions:

If you haven't read the first few posts I urge you to take an hour or two and do so - zippychick has the overall guidance and optional extras like mothership's legendary second purse system is explained if you want to stock pile (control) things when they are on offer. Rosieben maintains the recipes index (well worth an explore) and Helen Jelly maintains our targets (if you post in red - which you both did.

My other tips are to develop a signature (click on User CP at the top of a forum page and then "edit signature" is on the left toolbar) - you will see many of us use it to track overall targets and challenges but others use it to convey size of household and philosophical statements - it's entirely up to you.

Finally, if you thank posts as you read them, you can always find where you got up to. This weekend we are moving at a rather sedate pace as everyone is doing stuff but watch out - sometimes we can exceed 80 posts a day when we get going.

As Pennygrabber said, everyone makes it work for them and some include purely food and groceries, others include everything householdy (eg from SMs or pets, plants and so on). Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask. Florencecm will bring you into line if she thinks you are being wasteful (sort of a forum conscience! :rotfl: - but she is away until later today). Have fun!

The ood is almost certainly "sell by" if it was vacuum packed so it will be fine. If it was a "use by" date you should still consider using it - use the sniff test - if it smells bad it has gone over, otherwise cooking it will have saved it and having cooked it, it will have the same lifetime as any other meat that has been cooked (extendable by freezing).

HTH
    SL
    Thanks it passed the sniff test no probs and had some for lunch and rest going in freezer
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options

Savesummore - I got reading the 2nd purse thread today to see if I could make it work for me, but I don't think it's going to be something I adopt. :) I do understand it, but just won't be using it. :) Hope your cold is much better soon!
    K xx

Im very early days with the 2nd purse but so far so good- everyone finds different ways/different things that interest them and I like the idea of trying to play the supermarket at its own game :rotfl:
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    3 NSDs added to my sig - Mr F was a good boy and only spent on 1 day. :j
    Fozziebeartoo - are you going to see the Doctor about passing out? :(
    JumbleJack - love the planters. :D
    Newbies - watch out - bossy Florenceem is back! :eek:
    Welcome back Florenceem. You must have MrF well trained :rotfl:
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Hi, I went away to stay with my craft friend on Thursday. I came home yesterday.

We went to a class with Lisa Baker on Friday – she has had cards published in magazines. I went to her class when I was staying with P.. in February. The June class was decorating a wooden mirror frame using a brayer and Lavinia stamps. We had a lovely time – another craft friend M...... drives us there as it is in a village near Maidstone and difficult to get to.

On Saturday we just popped to a near by mini market that has really good bargains – I wanted to get some yarn for my Sister but they were out of stock of pale blue. After lunch we did some crafting – I spent ages colouring in a Sarah Kay stamped image with Cosmic Watercolour paints. I will matt and layer it on to a card.

Sunday the three of us were off to a day workshop with Paul Church in Rochester – he works with Barbara Gray formerly Santerelli. Paul is also a regular demonstrator on Create & Craft. Again we used a brayer but this time the Clarity stamps. We also used Flitter Glue and Mica flakes. Also DS adhesive sheets with acetate.

I learnt a lot at both workshops. I had bought a brayer years ago but never used it – I will now! I felt more confident with the brayer on the second go at it – as always – practice is what is needed to do new techniques. The Paul Church day was a technique workshop where we produced pieces of artwork that can be made into cards later.

Photos will be posted as soon as I am unpacked and settled back home. :)

Paul Church is doing another workshop in August so we have booked for that – unfortunately – it means I will be away for my Wedding Anniversary. :(:o:eek:
    I'm SO jealous. Glad you've had a great time. You could take MrF with you - to carry the bags!

Savesummore - hope your cold gets better soon :)

Welcome to the newbies :wave:
    Don't get stressed - we've all been there. Some a lot longer than others ;) Everyone is friendly here and will try to answer any questions :)

Did my shopping for the week today. Will update sig as soon as I add it all up.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    hi

Welcome to all our new people - nice to see you on here - read the first post with all the info and check out the recipes posted by the lovely Rosieben
    Ask any questions as there are lots of clever people on here who will help out
    Post lots

Thanks Suffolk Lass :]]

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts