June 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 43

New Post Advanced Search

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 11 May 2012 at 7:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 125.2K views

Replies

• sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    just watching the thanksgiving service on the tele , I really enjoyed the concert last night too, I think the Queen is fab and hope Prince Phillip is soon better

NSD today :j going to rummage in the freezer for lunch im sure i can concoct something out of there

it is really cold but i havent put the heating back on yet i will if it gets any colder though :cool::cool:
  • cattysmumcattysmum Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hello I would like to join

I have a family 2 adults 2 children (10 + 12) 1 dog. I cat & 3 Chickens

My Budget for this month is 4 shops at £70 Total £280

Thanks

Welcome and good luck with your first GC you will find lots of tips/advice/motivation on this thread so Im sure you will stay on track!!!
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Well, I'm glad its not just me feeling the cold! As I live alone I thought it was me being wimpy last night - I didn't put the heating on but I was under a fleecy blanket on the sofa watching telly and wore PJs to bed last night for the first time in what feels like ages.:eek:

I need to pop out to Mr S later to pick up some fresh bits for visitors tomorrow - I have a £4 off a £20 spend voucher and hopefully won't go over. I'll make up the difference with a few storecupboard and freezer bits if necessary. I'm going to take a calculator so I don't get carried away:o
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • edited 5 June 2012 at 11:25AM
    sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 June 2012 at 11:25AM
    cattysmum wrote: »
    Good morning, thanks to everyone who keeps the GC up to date, I don't post that often but hopefully am going to try to keep up this month with all you thrift peeps!!! Can I be put down for a budget of £200 for June, please. Iv already done an online spent at Ts for £29.00. It was for £58 but with mocs and price flops got it down to less than thirty. Just a quick question though they delivered a piece of smoked gammon that was out of date by 5 days, anyway I rang them up and Ts refunded the gammon and gave me back delivery charge. It looks ok, it was in one of the vaccum packs, iv cooked it in slow cooker, can we eat it or do I put it out for the cat???? Any advice welcome

the more I hear of mr T the less I like :mad:
    with my decision to never shop there again and to reduce the amount i spend in the big SMs I have just done an online meat order , not any cheaper but british free range , naturally finished meat . hopefully the quality will be far superior:T

welcome to the newbies :wave:
  • I have had 3 NSD's in a row :j

But today I needed to top up my mobile (£10) and have a Tesco delivery (found more vouchers after my last delivery :mad:).

The LO gammon has become a HM quiche - I used up LO double cream, OMG bad idea........

It is SO scrumptious made with cream, I may never want to go back to using milk again ;)

I still have LO chicken in the fridge so that will probably be some sort of stir fry with rice for tea.

I will update my signature later when I know how much Tesco is costing me.
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello :wave:
    Is there room for a newbie to join?
    My budget for the rest of June (family of 5) is £270 (£90 per week).
    This may sound a lot compared to some but I'm taking it slowly and trying :o
    Hello I would like to join

I have a family 2 adults 2 children (10 + 12) 1 dog. I cat & 3 Chickens

My Budget for this month is 4 shops at £70 Total £280

Thanks

payingitoff & purplesheila - Welcome both. As you are both brand new posters I thought I would offer a couple of tips/suggestions:

If you haven't read the first few posts I urge you to take an hour or two and do so - zippychick has the overall guidance and optional extras like mothership's legendary second purse system is explained if you want to stock pile (control) things when they are on offer. Rosieben maintains the recipes index (well worth an explore) and Helen Jelly maintains our targets (if you post in red - which you both did.

My other tips are to develop a signature (click on User CP at the top of a forum page and then "edit signature" is on the left toolbar) - you will see many of us use it to track overall targets and challenges but others use it to convey size of household and philosophical statements - it's entirely up to you.

Finally, if you thank posts as you read them, you can always find where you got up to. This weekend we are moving at a rather sedate pace as everyone is doing stuff but watch out - sometimes we can exceed 80 posts a day when we get going.

As Pennygrabber said, everyone makes it work for them and some include purely food and groceries, others include everything householdy (eg from SMs or pets, plants and so on). Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask. Florencecm will bring you into line if she thinks you are being wasteful (sort of a forum conscience! :rotfl: - but she is away until later today). Have fun!
    cattysmum wrote: »
    Just a quick question though they delivered a piece of smoked gammon that was out of date by 5 days, anyway I rang them up and Ts refunded the gammon and gave me back delivery charge. It looks ok, it was in one of the vaccum packs, iv cooked it in slow cooker, can we eat it or do I put it out for the cat???? Any advice welcome

The ood is almost certainly "sell by" if it was vacuum packed so it will be fine. If it was a "use by" date you should still consider using it - use the sniff test - if it smells bad it has gone over, otherwise cooking it will have saved it and having cooked it, it will have the same lifetime as any other meat that has been cooked (extendable by freezing).

HTH
    SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    I went away on Thursday and came back yesterday afternoon - wow - so many posts/pages on here to read! :eek:
    I have a spend of £2 by Mr F to add to sig plus more when I get receipts out of my handbag/suitcase. My friend had bought me goodies - bargains from her local mini market. Then we went there on Saturday - so I spent money!
    Last night we had gammon in batter, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrot, cauliflower, leeks and gravy for dinner.

7339281810_25c13d889a.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
    5.2K posts
    Bikingbint wrote: »
    Hi

I don't actually do the GC as such but I do keep a note of all spends etc. and read the thread on a regular basis. I was hoping to use some of your expertise to answer a question for me :D

I am not good at breadmaking and have created many a doorstop :eek: so I have just invested in a panasonic breadmaker. I am very impressed, so is DH. I have made edible bread, my problem is that I find it very difficult to slice any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried leaving it until the next day to slice and still the same problem.

Thanks in advance and back to lurkdom.

Bikingbint
    Re slicing HM bread - you could invest in a slicing machine. I just make sure my bread knife is sharp - resharpen as I cut the loaf as well. Let the sharp knife do the work - my Dear Dad always told me that - relax your hand. hth.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought some blueberries and raspberries the other day (100g of each) and have just made two batches of muffins. One batch lemon and raspberry, the other lemon and blueberry. The blueberry ones have been tested by the children and DNephew (4) and have got the thumbs up. Raspberry ones are still cooling on the rack. Whatever doesn't get eaten today will go into the freezer for my breakfasts/elevenses. Will make another batch of banana and choc chip ones tomorrow as I have a glut of frozen bananas waiting to be used up!

Cottage pie for tea tonight using DR minced steak - need to get some potatoes and veg for this so will report back later on my spends.
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
    5.2K posts
    3 NSDs added to my sig - Mr F was a good boy and only spent on 1 day. :j
    Fozziebeartoo - are you going to see the Doctor about passing out? :(
    JumbleJack - love the planters. :D
    Newbies - watch out - bossy Florenceem is back! :eek:
    15 in 2015 1/15