June 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 39

New Post Advanced Search

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 11 May 2012 at 7:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 125.2K views

Replies

• bossymoo wrote: »
    Hi
    Do we include all our spends, even if not groceries? Eg this morning I bought biscuits and crisps and loo roll but also some plates, medicine and craft paper in the same shop? What about cashback?

If its all then I have spent £84 but if its just groceries / cleaning / laundry stuff then £12. Got £50 in cash which should last as I have no parking costs this week, and no social life, lol

X

I think everyone has their own rules for the challenge. It has to work for you. I include all groceries, toiletries and pet stuff in my budget, and i have several budgets for different things. But there is no right or wrong.
    SPC 12 #005 Target £200 /
  • MrsCDMrsCD Forumite
    807 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Xmas Saver! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:I need to get some action in the kitchen today as Ive not had chance last couple of days as DH admitted to hospital with a clot on the lungs. Kept in for a few days so all planning out of the window!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Hope your DH is better soon. At least they can keep an eye on him. Look after yourself.
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Hi
    Do we include all our spends, even if not groceries? Eg this morning I bought biscuits and crisps and loo roll but also some plates, medicine and craft paper in the same shop? What about cashback?

If its all then I have spent £84 but if its just groceries / cleaning / laundry stuff then £12. Got £50 in cash which should last as I have no parking costs this week, and no social life, lol

X
    Some people count everything, others just groceries. It's what works for you. :)

Jumblejack - look after yourself :) Take it easy for a few days until your back sorts itself out.

Had a fairly easy day. Watched the boats on the Thames this afternoon. They were fantastic :T Some of the histories behind them were very interesting.

Off to bed now as I'm at work in the morning :(
    #59 Saving for Christmas 2020
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ - take care of that back!
    I just wanted to give you a little boost. I was in the local garden centre and they were selling vegetable planter "kits" - small ones were £66 and big ones (on a par with your new one) were £88 each - you know what to do with the kids this week if you need a little budget boost!!:rotfl::rotfl:
    SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • AldahbraAldahbra Forumite
    317 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hello again everyone. I've moved over from the other side and am back for the June challenge
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only one thing worse than rain on a bank holiday Monday and that's forgetting to turn the weekday alarm off. :mad: While I can reach out and turn it off almost instantly, both cats assumed their pounce positions and dedicated themselves to ensuring I did not oversleep. :rotfl:So that was it, after 25 minutes pretending to be asleep I got up to feed them and make a cup of tea and here I am, contemplating my more-than-expected spend so far. At least I realised I included cats in last month's budget for the first time so £53 of the overspend accounted for.

Waitflower's strawberries were £4 a large punnet with a bogof so actually £2 but as I got there at 3pm yesterday they were marking them down to £2.79 a punnet and the till was still taking £4 off every second punnet so worked out £0.79 each and they are lovely. Pigged out and bought 4! (then she wonders why she spent more..). Also Ariel and Fairy washing stuff is on bogof. I last bought some for second purse in January when it was £5 down from £7 but now it is £8.17 (£1.17 up in four months!) but of course worked out at £4.09 so I bought 4 for 2nd purse which should see me through until Christmas if I keep using less than they say. The nice young man with the sticker gun said the offers always work at the till even when the goods are reduced and I mentioned my free rolls from last month and he said sometimes they have mis-calculated and ended up paying the customer to buy the food. :T 3pm on Sunday seems to be a good time...

Have a good day everyone, wrap up warm and stay dry
    SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • Dear All,

I've been reading for a few weeks, so I think I'll give it a go this month.

Please don't add me to your official list (if you have one), but I'll just try to keep reading (for all your fantastic tips, and stories) and try and keep within my budget of £190.

I work shifs, with no pattern to them, so meal planning more than a few days ahead is a nightmare.

Anyway, thanks everyone, for all your words of wisdom, I bet there's lots more people reading them than you think.

x

'Extra payment every week' (started May '12) £60.00 this week = £150.94 so far
    ;)
    'Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge' (#174 started May '12) £33.00 this week = £86.19 so far :)

• hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Picking brains please

I need white sugar. I have tried the really big bags and struggle with them so I prefer 1 or 2kg bags if I can.

The big 4 show up as 98p/kilo, I think Lidl Aldi are 89p, the best I can find seems to be Makro at £11.99 for 15 x 1KG bags which makes it 80p/kg. Is anywhere else cheaper? Didn't the £shop used to do a 1.5kg bag which is 67p/KG.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Hi everyone sorry to hear a few people aren't well - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I've spent the whole weekend nannying so have earnt money rather than spent it. Food was provided by the family :jand they live on the river so I took the kids to watch the boats going to join the jubilee pageant.

I've spent £11.57 so far this month and going to my mum's for the next couple of days so hopefully they will be NSD's too! ;) I might get her to take me to the big Tesco's while I'm there - its much cheaper than London supermarkets.

Happy bank holiday everyone!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• edited 4 June 2012 at 9:29AM
    jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 June 2012 at 9:29AM
    hex2 wrote: »
    Picking brains please

I need white sugar. I have tried the really big bags and struggle with them so I prefer 1 or 2kg bags if I can.

The big 4 show up as 98p/kilo, I think Lidl Aldi are 89p, the best I can find seems to be Makro at £11.99 for 15 x 1KG bags which makes it 80p/kg. Is anywhere else cheaper? Didn't the £shop used to do a 1.5kg bag which is 67p/KG.

Home bargains, B&M and the Indian supermarkets are the cheapest. Usually around 79p ish!

Good morning all :)

I am out of bed:j
    I'm far from recovered but at least I'm mobile enough not to worry about having a drink cos of the worry of getting to the loo:rotfl:
    I am going to take the kids to day 3 of the survival event. Hopefully he will refresh us on what we missed yesterday: obtaining clean water and foraging. I'm gonna take a chair with me though as it will be hard to get up after sitting on fallen logs as we did on Saturday.

Today will be carrot and coriander soup as that's what I have loads of.
    Dinner will be LO pizza wedges and melon which I can take out with us.
    Better get the old waterproofs on as it doesn't look too promising.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!!!

Edit:
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words:A
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone. Somehow still not managed an NSD, as yesterday plans changed all of a sudden as family came up and a massive family fry up was proposed. Using what all of us had in left us with a shortfall of:

Hash Browns,
    Mushrooms &
    Smoothies (we needed these anyway)

So, after a little trip to a nearby Mr M that's another £5 spent. I'll update my sig now and sit tight today, hoping we don't spend anything! At least while I'm spending every day it does seem to be very small amounts.

Angelatgraceland - hope your DH is OK
    PennyGrabber - hope you enjoyed your concert!
    JJ - take it easy today - hope you learn lots. :) That's something I've always wanted to do.

Tea tonight is the shepherd's pie we would have been having last night and then hopefully the mealplan can resume as planned! Hope everyone has a good day.

KB xx