We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nationwide Mortgages - How long??

Options

Comments

• Tantalus86
    Options
    Obviously people with something to complain about won't think twice about posting it on the internet, but people that have nothing to complain about have no reason to. No-one is going to read a thread titled "Nationwide provided me with a service that was satisfactory."

Anyway, my experience with Nationwide was fairly good (not perfect, admittedly) but far from some of the doom-mongering exceptions that some people seem to have experienced.

On 3rd October - Met with an adviser and completed DIP. Processed the mortgage to the stage just before applying as at the time the vendor hadn't found anywhere to buy and I had a suspicion they'd struggle so didn't want to fork out arrangment fees etc if they pulled out. Adviser said it wasn't a problem, just give her a call when I wanted to apply.
    The only downside was her trying to flog me products I didn't need - namely mortgage assurance. I'm sure a lot of people would believe her emotional pleas of "but what would happen if you died?" (you'll be amazed at the amount of times she asked that question), however I'm sure for a fair amount of people it's just not needed.

12th October - I was informed the vendors had an offer accepted (hurrah, I thought). Unfortunately my mortgage adviser was on leave until 21st October, so I tried to phone nationwide to apply in full for the mortgage. Was told that it can only be done is branch, and was told by the branch that they'd have to wait for my mortgage adviser to get back from leave(!).

21st October - Phoned my mortgage adviser (back from leave) and applied in full.

22nd October - Received notification that the valuation had been booked for 23rd and they were arranging access.

23rd October - Valuation completed and I was informed it was satisfactory. Also received a phone call to say that they needed some extra documentation (a couple bank statements and a deed of gift letter). However I needed my mum to sign the letter, and she was on holiday until 29th Oct.

29th October - Handed the documentation over in branch to my adviser, she scanned it and sent it to their mortgage people.

30th October - Received another phone call to ask a few questions about the documents and (annoyingly) they said they needed yet another document(!)

31st October - Back into branch, sent the remaining document.

1st Nov - Full mortgage offer posted.

So from full application to offer took 11 days, and a lot of that was due to my mortgage adviser and my mum being on leave. If they were more considerate with their holiday choices it could've been done even quicker.

Whilst I sympathise with anyone that's having unnecessary stress forced upon them by Nationwide, I think 11 days from application to offer is pretty damn good - and only slowed down by people's leave.
  • kad1
    kad1 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Tantalus86 wrote: »
    Obviously people with something to complain about won't think twice about posting it on the internet, but people that have nothing to complain about have no reason to. No-one is going to read a thread titled "Nationwide provided me with a service that was satisfactory."

Anyway, my experience with Nationwide was fairly good (not perfect, admittedly) but far from some of the doom-mongering exceptions that some people seem to have experienced.

On 3rd October - Met with an adviser and completed DIP. Processed the mortgage to the stage just before applying as at the time the vendor hadn't found anywhere to buy and I had a suspicion they'd struggle so didn't want to fork out arrangment fees etc if they pulled out. Adviser said it wasn't a problem, just give her a call when I wanted to apply.
    The only downside was her trying to flog me products I didn't need - namely mortgage assurance. I'm sure a lot of people would believe her emotional pleas of "but what would happen if you died?" (you'll be amazed at the amount of times she asked that question), however I'm sure for a fair amount of people it's just not needed.

12th October - I was informed the vendors had an offer accepted (hurrah, I thought). Unfortunately my mortgage adviser was on leave until 21st October, so I tried to phone nationwide to apply in full for the mortgage. Was told that it can only be done is branch, and was told by the branch that they'd have to wait for my mortgage adviser to get back from leave(!).

21st October - Phoned my mortgage adviser (back from leave) and applied in full.

22nd October - Received notification that the valuation had been booked for 23rd and they were arranging access.

23rd October - Valuation completed and I was informed it was satisfactory. Also received a phone call to say that they needed some extra documentation (a couple bank statements and a deed of gift letter). However I needed my mum to sign the letter, and she was on holiday until 29th Oct.

29th October - Handed the documentation over in branch to my adviser, she scanned it and sent it to their mortgage people.

30th October - Received another phone call to ask a few questions about the documents and (annoyingly) they said they needed yet another document(!)

31st October - Back into branch, sent the remaining document.

1st Nov - Full mortgage offer posted.

So from full application to offer took 11 days, and a lot of that was due to my mortgage adviser and my mum being on leave. If they were more considerate with their holiday choices it could've been done even quicker.

Whilst I sympathise with anyone that's having unnecessary stress forced upon them by Nationwide, I think 11 days from application to offer is pretty damn good - and only slowed down by people's leave.

Yes, I'd agree. 11 days is excellent. Don't think any of us would argue with that! Shows how variable the service is...
  • Miiri
    Miiri Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well - after what seemed to be a smooth process with the Nationwide, its started to go horribly wrong after the solicitor asked them to update our mortgage offer with a couple of details. Apparently, there is an IT error on my case and we're currently in limbo between New Business and the IT team - it should be assessed (not necessarily fixed!) by end of play tomorrow - which is crazy as the intial error was raised last week (lets not go in to why it took them a month to even try updating my case), has been supposedly 'fixed' and relogged.

Until this we were on track to exchange last friday :(

Fi
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made an application via a broker on the 24th October 2013.

Valuation was completed the next day and I received an offer today.

So all in 12 days.

Very pleased!
  • Tantalus86
    Options
    How long have people here needed to wait from being informed that the mortgage offer was accepted and that it was in the post, to actually receiving it in the post?

Had mine posted on the 1st and it still hasn't arrived :mad:
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long have people here needed to wait from being informed that the mortgage offer was accepted and that it was in the post, to actually receiving it in the post?

They post everything second class.
  • Tantalus86
    Options
    highguyuk wrote: »
    They post everything second class.

Thanks, I'll give them a call if I haven't received it today.
  • ed89
    ed89 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Been keeping an eye on this thread over the last month so I'll briefly add my experience with Nationwide.

1st week in October, viewed house, liked it, made verbal offer under valuation.

Same week, told they would accept if the sale went through by the end of the month.

Same week, approached mortgage advisor, filled out application and obtained mortgage offer, made official offer on property.

2nd week, offer accepted.

4th week, funds transferred and property purchase/exchange completed on the agreed date. Got the keys the same day.

I'm pretty sure having the broker/advisor in place helped. Not sure Nationwide would have been so cooperative and efficient had I tried to do my application myself.

All in all, had nothing to stress about!
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Mine arrived today 6 days after I received the offer text :j
  • Leo16
    Options
    4 weeks and counting and we do not even have a decision in principle yet.
    Sent in requested documents and never heard anything for a few days, called and was advised they wanted another months bank statements because nothing came out of the account for the first couple weeks in the first month. Not a problem I sent in the previous months statement. Again no response from NW, tried to call the advisor back but nobody could find her on the system to transfer me through. Talked to someone else and next issue was my wife is on maternity leave so they need an employer’s reference. This took NW around 5 days to send out (after several calls they sent it via email). Employer sent it back so I called again and was advised they had not received it, again after several calls later I eventually spoke to someone who wanted to help and told me the exact time it arrived (several days ago). Next problem a bank statement had a middle name for my wife and the application did not so the application had to be sent back to the advisor. Next day I called an advisor (still could not get in touch with the advisor handling the application) they advised it needs to go to a different department so they gave us a number to call. Called the number – guess what – wrong number. Eventually got to the right department and found out the application was also still under my wife’s maiden name. (The application was made over the phone and we are existing customers so they took our details from our existing mortgage without confirming them. We should have changed her name so partly our fault however she had called in and passed the ‘security’ by giving her married name. So wife’s name got changed on existing mortgage and we were advised that a new application would have to be done with my wife’s married name as the existing application could not be changed. We were then impressed for a short while as the new application was created the next day, however it took 2 days to transfer the documents from the old application to the new one.

After calling I was confirmed that everything was in and it would be sent to the underwriters, next day I called just to make sure it had been sent and I was advised it had not been because the employers reference salary did not match the salary we put down in the application. We provided the last year’s salary not what she will be on in 10 months’ time when she returns to work. (her salary will be more when she returns). Anyway it had to go back to the elusive mortgage advisor again, the person I was on the phone did not transfer me through because as the account was referred it would be locked for the next 20 minutes, however he assured me it would be corrected within 20 minutes and he took a note to check it had been done so it could be sent on to the underwriters. 24 hours later I called again and got the same story as the previous day. Tomorrow I will call again.

I have been advised that I do not need to call in for updates and they will call me however I have not received any of the calls and I get the feeling the application would be left in limbo if I did not call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport