'The 'everyone tell Starbucks your name is Bob' campaign' blog discussion

1234568»

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    I find anyone unfamiliar asking for my name a bit creepy, honestly. If I wanted them to know, I would offer it myself. I do not want a new best friend when I am buying something, especially not a corporate pseudo best friend.

I rather like my local Pret's filter coffee in preference to any of the fancy ones. And as the water at work is horrible, and a 99p filter coffee nice, I usually go there. We get along just great, plenty of recognition and friendliness without crossing a creepy line.

And of course, once that line is crossed, are Starbucks going to start asking for your phone number, or giving you a pat on the bum as you walk past? ;-)
  • gglaze
    gglaze Posts: 265 Forumite
    I think the asking for your name thing may have something to do with Starbucks getting into competition with Jamba Juice in the US - so the original blog post may be right, this might actually be a corporate policy coming down from the top. When I first read this, I was thinking hmm wasn't it always that way in the US with Starbucks? But maybe not - but it has definitely been the way with Jamba Juice for as long as I can remember. I've read a lot of articles this year about Starbucks opening "juice" operations to compete more directly with Jamba Juice - so makes sense that they might try to copy some of their "best" practices...

Completely agree though, it's always been way too intrusive. I don't like to lie to people when they ask me a simple question like my name, and I also don't like the slightly uncomfortable feeling that still comes every time with telling a complete stranger my name for no apparent reason!

With a place with so many possibilities, you would think "gande soya caramel macchiato with extra whip" would be enough to uniquely identify someone! ;)

Btw haven't been in a long time but agree that Costa is the absolute worst, followed by Starbucks, and then Nero and AMT. Could be that things have changed though. Stick to Cafe Brera if you have one around, or an independent coffee maker that uses Illy or some other well known quality brand.
  • I agree: it's creepy to ask me for my Christian name.

You can run into problems with providing your surname and anticipating they'll be professional enough to use it correctly. My wife did that at Nandos and was addressed for the whole evening as "Walker". :huh:
  • Could take inspiration from Slartibartfast in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: "My name is unimportant."

Alternatively, you could just say "Mr. ....... " as that is polite and technically correct.

My plan, however - and I haven't been tested on this, as they never actually ask me my name for some reason - is, as my name is Brian, to say "I'm Brian and so is my wife."
  • I normally tell people my name is Sir.

"Your coffee's ready, Sir"
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,278
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2012 at 1:31PM
    I like the idea Martin, but what about when you get a Baldrick like person who offers you a 'special' cappucino and 'one lump or two?' eeeeeewwwwww!!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ima Taxa Voider.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • I'm an Engineer and I don't have a "Masters" degree. I have however studied navigational technology, and worked within a defense industry long enough to have the knowledge of electrical repair and testing technique's of units costing over £100,000.

I am now in different industry learning a new technology all together. Working with multi-array equipment and oil and gas. I have certifications from various global industry memberships, events, successes as well as years experience in various fields, and I am an engineer. It's broad term to take a quote from wikipedia
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm an Engineer and I don't have a "Masters" degree. I have however studied navigational technology, and worked within a defense industry long enough to have the knowledge of electrical repair and testing technique's of units costing over £100,000.

I am now in different industry learning a new technology all together. Working with multi-array equipment and oil and gas. I have certifications from various global industry memberships, events, successes as well as years experience in various fields, and I am an engineer. It's broad term to take a quote from wikipedia

Neither does my dad, but he completed an accredited course and had membership of professional bodies. The 1st line of the wiki entry mentions "professional" and a link on the page takes you do the definition of Profession. He was an engineer. I don't think anyone said you had to have a masters, I have a B.SC.Eng. (though I have not worked in engineering as such for over 25 years - and when I last did I was in the Royal corps of Signals - we may have crossed paths at some time).
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport