'The 'everyone tell Starbucks your name is Bob' campaign' blog discussion

Comments

• aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2012 at 7:15AM
    Don't go into Starbucks very often - can't stand their coffee, but I'm sure asking your name is something they've always done, as they write it on the cup as you place your order! Perhaps it was 'store choice' rather than company policy. (Or perhaps that's Costa?)

I remember back in my 'working for co-op' days, when the customer presented their dividend card, it came up with their name, and we were always instructed to greet / thank the customer using the name that came up. It was never really a big deal - customers quite liked that little bit of personalisation. Do Starbucks have a loyalty program? Perhaps they could do something similar, whereby if they present a card, then they write that name down.
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    sassysar wrote: »
    Nice fresh coffee, thermal mug with lid. No need to tell anyone your name Martin and about 200 percent cheaper. Money saving expert !

I picked up a 2.99 tesco thermal mug a few years ago - take it to work every day - best investment ever - keeps it hot a good couple of hours!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We've already had a thread on this. I told one barista that I'm lord voldemort, when my coffee was ready the guy at the other side shouted "caramel macchiato for he who must not be named".
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    These days in (all but the poshest) restaurants and cafes I find the staff presume my name is "You Guys" (even with if we are all ladies).

I do remember though when it used to be Sir or Madam as the context required. Ahhh, the good old days !
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Simple answer to this one - just don't go into Starbucks to drink their disgusting overpriced dishwater.

Costa or Caffe Nero are much better.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 19 April 2012 at 11:35AM
    bargepole wrote: »
    Simple answer to this one - just don't go into Starbucks to drink their disgusting overpriced dishwater.

Costa or Caffe Nero are much better.

Cafe Nero is Italian for "we burn our beans so our coffee tastes like a dirty ahstray".

I go to Starbucks after the gym and most of the staff know our names anyway but I have always got on with them and have no wish to mock them. If you don't want to give your name just say you would rather not, no need to be a drama whõre about it.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Or go with one of the Bart Simpson options - my favourite is Hugginkiss, first name Amanda
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Cafe Nero is Italian for "we burn our beans so our coffee tastes like a dirty ahstray".

True, same goes for Costa

I cant see why people have such a problem with it, although I cant really see the need for it either, I've never had a mix up with drinks or anything happen in the past when they didnt ask your name.

In fact it makes me laugh that people are so hung up on customer service these days then criticise a company for wanting to "appear" more friendly.. they cant win..
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    oldvicar wrote: »
    These days in (all but the poshest) restaurants and cafes I find the staff presume my name is "You Guys" (even with if we are all ladies).

I do remember though when it used to be Sir or Madam as the context required. Ahhh, the good old days !
    Must admit I prefer that too, I think companies are too familiar now. I'll never forget being in a bank with my Grandmother and the cashier called her by her first name! :eek: My Grandmother is of a generation where you call everyone Mr or Mrs unless you're related to them or really close friends. She still addresses her neighbours by their surnames and she's known them about 40 years! :D
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    Plushchris wrote: »
    I cant see why people have such a problem with it, although I cant really see the need for it either, I've never had a mix up with drinks or anything happen in the past when they didnt ask your name.

To be fair I have had middle aged women trying to wander of with my drink on occasion , they have just not heard all of what has been shouted by the barista, I just quietly say excuse me that's my soya milk one and they have always been happy to give it back.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport