'The 'everyone tell Starbucks your name is Bob' campaign' blog discussion

Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've only been in Starbucks once since they started this initiative.

Rather than being asked my name, I was asked if I wanted them to use my name, so I just said 'no thanks' (they've obviously experienced some resistance to it already). If they needed a name, I was planning on using 'Bruce', but I guess 'Bob' will do for next time.
  • i disagree with the sentiment of the blog. why attack starbucks for asking your name and trying to 'be' or 'appear' more friendly?

the first thing i did was go in and give a stupid fake name for a laugh, but people are too quick to attack anything a 'big corporation' does..
  • Sceptic001
    Sceptic001 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    I'm not normally a fan of BBC Radio 4 "The Now Show", but did laugh out loud when they reported that someone at the back of the Starbucks queue, when a customer was asked his name, shouted out "Don't tell him, Pike!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3SqxUomwk
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i disagree with the sentiment of the blog. why attack starbucks for asking your name and trying to 'be' or 'appear' more friendly?

the first thing i did was go in and give a stupid fake name for a laugh, but people are too quick to attack anything a 'big corporation' does..

Because there's a big difference between 'being friendly' and 'being intrusive'. Asking for your name is intrusive.
    I suppose we could also say "Ms. Surname", see what they say to that.

Then again, I don't go to Starbucks. For me a coffee is a coffee. White or black, at a push.
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I like this idea!

I never go into Starbucks but I'm tempted to now just so I can play. :D

I don't always agree with your stance on things Martin but I'm right behind you on this one. :rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Fluffi
    Fluffi Posts: 324 Forumite
    Despite being aware of this new initiative I too found it weird when asked first thing in the morning "May I take your name". I don't want to give my name just to get a coffee, I rarely visit Starbucks and when I do I want to be anonymous!
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    How about 'Spartacus'?
  • sassysar
    sassysar Posts: 112 Forumite
    Nice fresh coffee, thermal mug with lid. No need to tell anyone your name Martin and about 200 percent cheaper. Money saving expert !
  • I think the poor workers in Starbucks feel daft enough asking people their names, without people acting the smart !!!. By all means have a pop at Starbucks, but leave the, most likely poorly paid staff be, they are only following orders.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    'Bob'? I'd go for something far more exciting - "Lady Consuela Tinklebottom the third" at the very least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure