'The 'everyone tell Starbucks your name is Bob' campaign' blog discussion

Comments

• Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Big respect to Martin usually but this is strange. Don't like something, don't go in there! Having a problem with it and using MSE users as your way of getting back at the company and beating your chest is a little desparate and needy tbh.
  • BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This seems idiotic: I don't want Starbucks to call my name out, so I'm going to behave like a childish pratt. That'll teach 'em.
  • I imagine if everyone did say their name was Bob there would be mass confusion when it was time to pick up their coffees. Either that or Bob would get 10 free mini-mega milky mocha-choca frappacappucinos.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    How about 'Tea' if you are a woman eg. actress Tea Leoni or 'Kofi' if you are a man eg. Kofi Annan.
    J_B.
  • I do get where everyone is coming from. It is clearly a corporate piece of PR designed to make you feel all warm and cuddly.

However, spare a thought for the poor workers. Serving coffee and being on your feet all day is bad enough, then you get the new corporate memo about first name. You need your job, so you toe the line and ask for the customer name. To be greeted time after time by Bob is even more soul destroying. If you really feel strongly about giving your name then at least have the creativity to come up with something funny. Ferris Bueller, Mork from Orson. Just try and make the poor soul following instructions smile a little. The fat cats in corporate who come up with this are not the ones having to face a bunch of indignant Bobs!

My name is Sharron by the way and its my first time on the Forums.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surely the least Money Saving idea Martin has ever had?

If someone buys a cup of spectacularly-overpriced coffee every weekday for a year then the total cost is very similar to their annual gas or electricity bill. :(
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Am I missing something here? Don't they just ask for your name so they can tell you your order is ready, since someone else might have the same? Or to personalise it? They don't demand your full name or check id. I wouldn't need to tell them my name is Bob since it's Sarah, which is common enough to be anonymous, but anyway I don't think someone can steal your identity from your first name. The Starbucks employee asking your name will probably be wearing a name badge. I work in a supermarket and I wear a name badge, I didn't realise I was giving away secure information :eek:

People complain that corporations are too impersonal and then complain about this effort to personalise things!

Also this is a classic example of first world problems. 'Oh noes my overpriced coffee place wants to know my name!' If you're going to criticise Starbucks for something can it please be their ethics?
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    If you're going to criticise Starbucks for something can it please be their ethics?

...or their bad coffee :cool:
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also this is a classic example of first world problems. 'Oh noes my overpriced coffee place wants to know my name!' If you're going to criticise Starbucks for something can it please be their ethics?

What major issues are there with their ethics?
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What major issues are there with their ethics?

There's some information here: Free shopping guide to Coffee shops, from Ethical Consumer (Starbucks is at the bottom) among other issues it has a reputation for what the US National Lawyers Guild called its “relentless and illegal anti-union campaign” and “retaliatory firing” of union organisers and a record of six settlements in three years for complaints to the US National Labor Relations Board of violating workers’ rights. That's US based but shows their standards. These issues concern me more than a name on a cup of coffee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure