'The 'everyone tell Starbucks your name is Bob' campaign' blog discussion

Comments

• adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm Brian and so is my wife.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Is this a new thing? I'm pretty sure they asked me my name the first time I went in there, which is years ago now. I don't go in there often, maybe once a year or so. It doesn't really bother me if they ask me my name. It's not a secret.
  • SunnySusie
    SunnySusie Posts: 274
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It seems very "American" to me. I think they have miss-judged the Brit appetite for this kind of thing. Most of us are that little more reserved.

Like others, this just put me off Starbucks and I go elsewhere.

I did remember reading 'bucks statement saying they were going to see how it went and were open to trying other ideas if it didn't work. I do actually praise that approach, it's nice to see a corporate trying something new and being open to adjust if it doesn't work out. You never know until you try. Welcome to the agile world.
  • It really doesn't bother me. If someone asks for my name, that's fine by me! I think they are only trying to be more friendly and I suppose it avoids confusion at the place where you pick up your coffee (I have been there many times when someone else has taken my drink in error!).
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554
    Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2012 at 12:15PM
    There's some information here: Free shopping guide to Coffee shops, from Ethical Consumer (Starbucks is at the bottom) among other issues it has a reputation for what the US National Lawyers Guild called its “relentless and illegal anti-union campaign” and “retaliatory firing” of union organisers and a record of six settlements in three years for complaints to the US National Labor Relations Board of violating workers’ rights. That's US based but shows their standards. These issues concern me more than a name on a cup of coffee.

I used to hear the same sort of stuff about McDonalds – terrible to staff anti-union etc. Yet I used to get abuse from the well meaning lefty liberal types when I pointed out that McDonalds paid more across the board to staff than the local independent veggie cafe the cafe bar they held their meetings in and most of the rest of the catering sector – they were to full of their own self importance to research that and every one of them was a rotten tipper as well. Two faced as anything - it's easy to have a social conscience when it's thousands of miles away but not when it costs them.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • John47
    John47 Posts: 8 Forumite
    "Don't Tell them Pike"
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    There's some information here: Free shopping guide to Coffee shops, from Ethical Consumer (Starbucks is at the bottom) among other issues it has a reputation for what the US National Lawyers Guild called its “relentless and illegal anti-union campaign” and “retaliatory firing” of union organisers and a record of six settlements in three years for complaints to the US National Labor Relations Board of violating workers’ rights. That's US based but shows their standards. These issues concern me more than a name on a cup of coffee.

The NRLB are bunch of left wing wacko's. Those cases were managers who were paid a salary and do work off the clock.
    And you are not aware that they are overwhelmingly franchises and therefore these are locally negotiated.

It's Coffee, you turn up, be polite, quick, and serve it.

You can be replaced in 30 seconds. Don't like it find a real job !
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    I used a Voucher with my name and address, and he still asked my name as he held the voucher in his hand....
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    I find it funny that people will willingly hand over all sorts of their personal details to some guy on the street / website they've never heard of before, but get hung up over giving a guy in a coffee shop your first name ;o)
  • In the states they ask for your name. Not much of an issue.. but what the hell.. I'll play!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure