Mystery Shopping Thread 23 *PLEASE READ THE OP FIRST**PLEASE NO CLIENT NAMES OR FEES

Options

Comments

• Boredupnorth
    Boredupnorth Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    gaaaaaaaaaaaaa tax questions :wall:
    Really not sure how many more times I can stand going over the same tax questions. We seem to do it every single week!
  • Boredupnorth
    Options
    brooke3 wrote: »
    Surely reimbursements don't count as income, even if it is reimbursement only?
    So if I got a company to give me say a car rather than paying me a salary you think it should be tax free?

The reason you are doing the job is to get the reimbursement, you are not doing it because you are a really nice person and work for free. It is therefore taxable
  • brooke3
    brooke3 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    I have a few salons who give me free stuff (facials, massage etc.) in return for feedback. I don't pay, I never got it formally as a job (I was a regular at one of the salons and mentioned the msytery shopping and they asked me to do it for them). Now I'm wondering should I put that into my tax return.

I don't understand the logic behind reimbursements if they are reimbursement only being taxable but reimbursements in addition to fees (and sometimes fees that are so ridiculously low that no one would ever do it for the fee) being tax free. If you got a car in addition to your salary then surely that would still be taxable regardless of if you also got a salary. And in terms of my question I was thinking with regard to restaurant and hotels, rather than actual products. My understanding is that you pay tax on any items that you keep regardless of if there is a fee or not.

Also if you don't like something that's being discussed you are always welcome to ignore it :)
  • Boredupnorth
    Options
    brooke3 wrote: »
    I have a few salons who give me free stuff (facials, massage etc.) in return for feedback. I don't pay, I never got it formally as a job (I was a regular at one of the salons and mentioned the msytery shopping and they asked me to do it for them). Now I'm wondering should I put that into my tax return.

I don't understand the logic behind reimbursements if they are reimbursement only being taxable but reimbursements in addition to fees (and sometimes fees that are so ridiculously low that no one would ever do it for the fee) being tax free. If you got a car in addition to your salary then surely that would still be taxable regardless of if you also got a salary. And in terms of my question I was thinking with regard to restaurant and hotels, rather than actual products. My understanding is that you pay tax on any items that you keep regardless of if there is a fee or not.

Also if you don't like something that's being discussed you are always welcome to ignore it :)
    You are able to look it up from any one of the 100 or so times it's been discussed in the last year.

Consider it ignored!
  • DPJames
    DPJames Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe such a small country can suffer floods and drought at the same time.
    Today I've suffered rain and hail, yet when the sun came out I was still soaked, with sweat!!

Mental.

Did another two Helion today, love their reports and fees.
    And did three Grass Roots, and love their reports and fees even more.

Two top companies. Retail Active could learn a thing or two from them.
  • DPJames
    Options
    Tax doesn't have to be taxing. But on here it's bloody annoying. And BUN is right, it's discussed (In exhaustive depth) at least once a week.

I was going to say put something up on the first page, but people would still question it and have their opinions of what's taxable and what isn't. To me, really, it's ALL taxable, the fee and the reimburssment. So maybe a default answer could be, if you're not sure then tax the lot.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe we should have a Mystery shopping tax thread if it is getting on peoples nerves.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 April 2012 at 8:37PM
    Options
    someone wrote: »
    Maybe we should have a Mystery shopping tax thread if it is getting on peoples nerves.

Go for it. You set one up, and we will refer all tax questions to it.

Or if anyone is unsure, please contact your local tax office, they have starter sessions and you can ask questions to your hearts content and get a definitive answer there. It's better to know for sure than to say "Well so and so told me off MSE and therefore it must be right etc etc ........"

PS. It's free listings on eBay if anybody wants to put their bits and pieces on. :D:D
  • Boredupnorth
    Options
    Seems I am not alone then.
  • DPJames
    Options
    Bloody tax questions get in the way of all the arguing ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure