PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad I had been stockpiling, I got made redundant 4 weeks ago (2nd time in 3 years) then OH got laid off too. He's now back at work but not been paid yet, I''m still looking. I have lots in the freezer, in the cupboards.

My advice to those (like myself at the moment) who can't spare much to stockpile is, go through all the freebies list. I got shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, soap powder and some food stuff, tea bags, hot chocolate, coffee, chocolate.

Then look at the discount vouchers. The best one I've seen was money off Batchelors soup. Don't be afraid of the value/basics ranges they are really nice.

Even in the smallest of places there's lots of ingenious places to store things, under the sofa/bed, wardrobe shelves but do keep a list of what you have.

I also (and I did this when I was working too) is do quidco/surveys this money can go towards stockpiling. It's amazing how even a few extra items a week soon mounts up.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wish I had shelves like this.

XE6kg.jpg

:D
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've only got a couple of wall cupboards in my kitchen and a few cardboard cartons in the spare bedroom but I know I could eat for about two months before I had to go shopping. If I could do without fresh milk and proper coffee. Which reminds me, I think I need to buy up more of that ground coffee I saw at £1.29 for 250 grammes. That's the cheapest I've seen in a month of Sundays, cheaper than L!dl (shock! horror!) which is £7 a kilo. With food-price inflation becoming ever more obvious every day I think it's only sensible to have some decent stocks set aside of essentials even if we're not going to have a siege.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which reminds me, I think I need to buy up more of that ground coffee I saw at £1.29 for 250 grammes. That's the cheapest I've seen in a month of Sundays, cheaper than L!dl (shock! horror!) which is £7 a kilo. With food-price inflation becoming ever more obvious every day I think it's only sensible to have some decent stocks set aside of essentials even if we're not going to have a siege.

Could you tell me where the ground coffee at 1.29 is please? It would be good to stock up at this price and keep hubby happy!:)
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've only got a couple of wall cupboards in my kitchen and a few cardboard cartons in the spare bedroom but I know I could eat for about two months before I had to go shopping. If I could do without fresh milk and proper coffee. Which reminds me, I think I need to buy up more of that ground coffee I saw at £1.29 for 250 grammes. That's the cheapest I've seen in a month of Sundays, cheaper than L!dl (shock! horror!) which is £7 a kilo. With food-price inflation becoming ever more obvious every day I think it's only sensible to have some decent stocks set aside of essentials even if we're not going to have a siege.

If you have an area the size of a fruit box and room above, you could use boxes from Aldi, Lidl etc to stack tins in. Just make sure you get the sturdy ones that have slots at both sides to stack another on.

4734424_f496.jpg
  • BitterAndTwisted
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, it wasn't at one of the national supermarkets. As if! The cheapest I've noticed in one lately was about £12 a kilo, I think. When I looked at the site recently I noticed that Approved Food was selling the same brand (Tschibo) at £1.49 (I think). Mind you, to cover their £5.25 minimum shipping-charge you'd have to buy a lot! I'm buying mine at my local Turkish grocer.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    If you have an area the size of a fruit box and room above, you could use boxes from Aldi, Lidl etc to stack tins in. Just make sure you get the sturdy ones that have slots at both sides to stack another on.

4734424_f496.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion sb44 but I'm way ahead of you. There's about a six inch gap between the top of the kitchen cupboards and the ceiling and it's chock-full of all sorts of useful goodies. I think I have enough Puy lentils and soup-mix to last a lifetime
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion sb44 but I'm way ahead of you. There's about a six inch gap between the top of the kitchen cupboards and the ceiling and it's chock-full of all sorts of useful goodies. I think I have enough Puy lentils and soup-mix to last a lifetime

If you had a space in a bedroom you could stack them, turn the top one upside down so that you have a flat surface, put a throw or single quilt cover over it and pin the excess material at the back of the boxes. It would be like a small chest of drawers but covered.

Stick a photo frame, ornament etc on there .........
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    alls well and good stockpiling tinned food. BUT. if like me you cant get a decent tin opener that actually opens tins your screwed lol

I've got plenty of beans and soup and cup a soups

Mine is an oxo (brand name) one that I bought in Wilkinsons and it is really good
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I wish I had shelves like this.

XE6kg.jpg

:D

Oh I love pics like these! You see fantastic stocked larders on America websites. I always thought these prepped homes could survive any disaster that came their way with their super organised homes - then I learnt that American toilets don't flush when there's a power cut!! Hole in the garden sounds pretty grim :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure