PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Options

Comments

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I have to wait until payday so I can buy printer ink on Ebay. Going to prepare though by keeping an eye on the forums and mysupermarket and make a list nearer the time. I still have about 20 tins of Dove antiperspirant so wont be needing that for a while (from when it was 5p a can with voucher) lol!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need to stop watching the news with all the economy/Europe stuff - it's so stressful! I know a few years back people were on here talking about stockpiling for emergencies/economic collapse, but then nothing seemed to happen and it all fizzled out. Seeing all this news about Greece, Spain, runs on banks, actually freaks me out a bit.
    Being an OS I do budget things, and keep a few extra tins and loo rolls etc; but realistically only enough for a week or two. A 1930's style depression? I'm not ready for that! :eek:
    I know it happened in Argentina a few years back, but I keep thinking "It couldn't happen here"....but could it? Is the sky falling down? Are you keeping an eye on the news and making alterations to your OS habits accordingly?
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 18 May 2012 at 1:23PM
    Options
    I don't think that you are unduly worried, I am too.
    I have already started building up a large stockpile of everything from cleaning stuff, shampoo,deodorants, toilet rolls, washing powder etc plus booze (before they raise the price yet again) especially vodka because I use it for make ointments etc.
    I have taken stock of my food cupboard and freezers and am filling the freezers with meat only, nothing else. I am also stocking up on tinned and packet foods so that I have at least a year's supply and we are trying to pay off our mortgage as soon as we possibly can. we are also looking at fitting a wood burning stove, or opening up the fire places. So we will be looking at stocking up on wood and coal too in the near future. DH wants to keep some diesel in the garage as well.
    We also want to try and save as much as we can so that if anything happens we have enough to pay bills etc for at least six months
    We have a cherry tree, plum tree, damson, tree, hazlenut bush, Loganberries, strawberries, raspberries, pear tree and an apple tree, and lots of blackberries all around us.
    We are also storing seeds, so at least we can grow our own food, we might even get some chickens as well.
    I would advise anyone to start getting a good store behind them just in case. Oh and another word of advice buy what you eat and eat what you store or you will end up throwing a lot of stuff away. Use something from your stores every week and just replace it when you go shopping, this will ensure a good rotation of your store cupboard.
    Sugar stores indefinitely so does treacle and syrup, Flour will keep for a long time after the date code on the pack I have used flour that has been over three years old without any problems
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hmmmm...it's a difficult one. I, too, am feeling anxious at how rocky our oh so secure world has become.

However, the reason that problems exacerbate is because people panic and stockpile things/try to get their money out of banks etc. We need to keep sensible about these things.

I think it's more important to try to keep a healthy balance here - e.g. maybe have a stockpile of some things (especially if they are rising in price).

I have some savings with Santander but know they are covered by the UK agreement, so as long as I got my money back the world won't end for me. (I had experience of this with Iceland, and truly thought the world had ended, but in reality it hadn't!). I also have savings (less though) in other accounts - spread them around is my motto :rotfl:.

My main concern at the moment is that I also have a current account with Santander, and if that account became inaccessible, my mortgage etc wouldn't get paid. So, I have contingency plans in place since last month to transfer money out into other accounts as soon as I get paid, and then drip it back to Santander to cover my bills. I'll be keeping an eye on the news and, if necessary, next month, will transfer my bills to another current account.

Everyone's situation will be different, as will everyone's comfort level on what is tolerable and what makes them anxious and have sleepless nights. But keep calm, don't panic, have a cuppa, and think about what will really cause you hardship, then put an action plan into place. You'll feel better if you feel you have some control over what seems an uncontrollable situation at the moment.

LB xx
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    The Mormons have being doing this for years and it is a wise precaution especially as no body knows if their job will still be there tomorrow.
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • tessasmum
    tessasmum Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    I was surprised yesterday to hear someone moaning that he hadn't got time to do the shopping because of other commitments this week, and when I suggested he just go on Monday, he said that they wouldn't have any food for the weekend! He's the househusband and runs a little home based business, and his wife has a FT job. They are not living hand to mouth, so I don't understand why he doesn't keep more food in the house!

We could live for at least a month on the food we have in the house - we have a pantry and two freezers, but we live quite close to the back of beyond in the Fens, miles from supermarkets, so we can't "pop" to the shops when we run out of stuff!

Storage is wise, and it is an investment, but as another poster has already said, do be sure to rotate your stock. I found a website just yesterday called Survival Mom which has some interesting info - goes a bit TOO far for me because it is from the US and talks about shotguns and ammunition, but she does have some useful stuff about how long bleach will last, how long to store oil (veg oil) etc.

We have a woodburner already and are storing all the wood we come across. Spreading your savings across banks is also a wise move, I think. Keeping a little (I've got about £50) cash in the house is also a good idea for when there are electricity failures in winter - corner shops will often take cash and carry on, whilst the bigger shops have to shut completely!
    December GC: £350
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

However, the reason that problems exacerbate is because people panic and stockpile things/try to get their money out of banks etc. We need to keep sensible about these things.

This is what worries me. When there was that petrol scare a month or so back, all the petrol stations in the north of London sold out within 2 days. I fortunately didn't need any, but it took 4 days more before they got a delivery in. Petrol I can live without, food is different!
    I'm sure if there was a food/water shortage it would go straight on Twitter and everywhere would sell out overnight - that happened with salt a couple of icy winters back. People really do panic here (don't know about other areas) and if you don't run with the crowd you get left behind - very scary!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    tessasmum wrote: »
    I was surprised yesterday to hear someone moaning that he hadn't got time to do the shopping because of other commitments this week, and when I suggested he just go on Monday, he said that they wouldn't have any food for the weekend! He's the househusband and runs a little home based business, and his wife has a FT job. They are not living hand to mouth, so I don't understand why he doesn't keep more food in the house!

We could live for at least a month on the food we have in the house -

I think a lot of people don't realize how much food they have actually got in the house my DH said last night the freezer is running low (im trying to empty one to defrost it ) but in his eyes there was no pizza so i need to go shopping, i have all the ingredients in the house to make pizza but because there isn't a ready prepared one sitting in the freezer for him, there must be no food in the house :rotfl: we also could manage around a month with basic meals at a push, i also think it's irrelevant getting in a panic about cash if we were to go bankrupt cash has little value, after all it just a promissory note, i always remember a picture i saw of a russian? trading a wheelbarrow of cash for a loaf of bread due to hyperinflation.

In saying that I have stopped letting my car run down to much on fuel and we re-topped up the oil tank last week rather then leaving it till the summer and picked up another gas bottle & charcoal for the BBQ's, it's stuff that we would have done at somepoint in the year but I least im cofident that i could feed us if the power was out or zombie's attacked :D
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Firstly...the world is no more insecure today than it was yesterday....we have just become a litttle more aware of how fragile our systems are and how much they rely on honourable things and stability. So, as things are no worse than yeaterday inreality, try not to worry to much.

It makes sense to have an emergency supply of things for all sorts of reasons, not just collapse of fiat economies ;) but in case...say, you trip and sprain an ankle or break a leg and cannot easily get to the shops for a few weeks.

Buying livestock, unless you otherwise want them, is an overreaction. Chickens etc are a tie and a definite change and restriction in lifestyle, where as there is only a fairly remote possibility they will actually be needed to save you from starvation. :). They are also not that unexpensive to get started in.

Just build up a good os backup of a reasonable amount, ..this will depend on your storage facilities and usage, of cupboard goods and things like washing powder.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    edited 18 May 2012 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Evidently you have never been unfortunate enough to have lost your job at any time lostinrates or you would understand why I, like many others keep a good stock of goods. It is a scary thing to find out that you don't have enough food in the cupboards to feed your family in times of hardship. Both my DH and I have been made redundant 8 times in 15 years and I now find myself disabled and can't find work, and the way this government is going I could lose my DLA as well. So forgive me if I would rather be prudent, and at least if the SHTF we won't have to fight everyone in the shops, we will be ready.
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills