PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Options

Comments

• janiepopps
    Options
    I work a seasonal job, loads of work/money in the summer and right now I'm in my 7 weeks off (sheer, utter bliss) I have £100 a month put by for our shopping and we live mostly form the freezer & pantry.

I put a bookcase in the bottom of our built in wardrobe which houses our stores. The wardrobe has even been renamed the pantry!

I'll try to get you a photo tomoro Betty x
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I have a full freezer and enough tins, packets and toiletries to get by for ~6 weeks or so, and that is a nice feeling of security. However, living in a small 1 bed flat means there is a clear limit to stockpiling in terms of space. I also don't drive, so can't take advantage of offers on quantites that are too large to carry home.

My friend in New Zealand sent me some chocolate bars that I love but which aren't sold over here (Cadburys Moro Gold). I put them at the back of the cupboard to "save for a special occasion." I then forgot about my secret stash and they went quite a bit past the use by date by the time I rediscovered them. I still ate them though; only a bit furry.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stockpile for other reasons, if I'm ill I don't want to go out it means I have things, I buy or get things free so that I have them when I need then when they might not necessarily be as cheap.

Betty, 10p for those shower gels. Where did you get them?
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • tuttifruiti20
    Options
    yeah I'd like to know where these 10p shower gels people are mentioning came from lol I seem to have missed out on these!
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

My friend in New Zealand sent me some chocolate bars that I love but which aren't sold over here (Cadburys Moro Gold). I put them at the back of the cupboard to "save for a special occasion." I then forgot about my secret stash and they went quite a bit past the use by date by the time I rediscovered them. I still ate them though; only a bit furry.

Are Moro Golds starbars? Just asking cos at home (Rep Ireland) a biscuit boost is called a moro. I never realised when we first moved up to NI that boosts were moros and went without for AGES!!
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    It is hardly Extreme Couponing ;-)
    If you are going to use it and it is really cheap then I don't see any reason not to stock up on something, it's not often you are going to get deals like those mind.
  • Betty_Crumble
    Options
    the shower gels were from superdrug
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • London_Town
    London_Town Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2012 at 2:10AM
    Options
    I've been stock piling for a few years and have recently bought a house with a garage which has now become my bunker. My partner has made up about 6 of the really basic wooden shelving units for me from Ikea (£12:99 each). I have a good few years supply of things like washing up liquid, laundry liquid as well as shampoo and shower gel. I'm now starting to build up things like toilet bleach and soap too.

My food stock is also now increasing with many tins like tomato soup and corned beef. Always look for food stuff that has a long shelf life. I also stock pile dry pasta and tea. I do think it's very important to stock pile what you use and use what you stock pile. My original motivation was to beat inflation which I have probably done quite well on. I only ever buy anything when it is on a cyclic offer. However, I'm now thinking that a stock pile is a good insurance policy against anything from redundancy to extreme weather or even social decay and is perhaps something more of us should consider.

Some of my friends laugh about it, but they're the ones that pay full price for top brand products every week then complain how skint they are. Most people I know have hardly anything in their cupboards and would really be in trouble if there was panic buying in supermarkets.

My garage doesn't have electricity and I was literally sorting some of my stock by candle light the other saturday afternoon. It all looked like a scene from "Threads" the definitive nuclear attack docu-drama from the 80's!
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    reading all this reminds me of my nan, she used a spare bedroom as her larder as she calls it. shes got multiples of everything. she told me she always stocks up as in the war as you never know when you may need it or when you havent got the money
    i will be debt free, i will
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2012 at 3:09AM
    Options
    Most people I know have hardly anything in their cupboards and would really be in trouble if there was panic buying in supermarkets.

Or snow and no deliveries to the shops. Gawd, it could have been so much worse last winter. Some people of my acquaintance would be hard-pushed to rustle up tomorrow's dinner without going to the shops. My sister is one of them. Now single but recently divorced after 30 years and having raised two children, I just can\t understand it. Open her fridge and there's some butter, a bit of cheese and a couple of apples in the veg drawer. Mind, she's a ruddy terrible cook so perhaps she's just saving herself the trouble of chucking ruined meals out by throwing her shopping straight in the bin, to cut out the middle-man so to speak.

Skintas: "When you haven't got the money" Ain't that the truth and a hard habit to break if you've not ever had much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure