PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Options

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tiff wrote: »
    These are proper stockpile pics lol, just wish I had the space

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/stockpile-pictures/186919-flashs-stockpile-pictures.html

:rotfl: Brilliant!!!

One question though... If the proverbial were to hit the fan in a major way, where on earth are they going to get salad from to use up all that salad dressing? :D I didn't see any salad seeds stockpiled, and besides, you may not be able to grow stuff in the event of a major disaster!!!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May I ask exactly what you're stockpiling for? I can see the sense in having extra supplies of bog roll, bottled water, matches and some packets/tins etc in case of bad weather/power cuts, or the security of having say a month's worth of basics if you lose your job, but I'm not quite sure of the point of hoarding 20 bottles of shampoo.

The way prices have been going up recently, its money saving to buy as much as you can, especially when on really good special offers, and store it. The idea being that you end up making more 'interest' than you would get from the banks.

Or, in the event of a catastrophic world event it wouldn't take long for the supermarkets to be empty. Having extra food/supplies stored is peace of mind that you can still feed your family :)

For me its about moneysaving - If I can get stuff that I often use, at half price or buy 1 get 2 free, I stock up :)

Once I get my house in order, i will be stockpiling more :D
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well the forum that picture is on is based on couponing in America, so a lot of what is stockpiled is either cheap or free. Therefore they are stockpiling to take advantage of bargains and only stockpile things with a long shelf life. There are other forums based on when the shtf, but they are total nutters lol For most people its just an insurance against rising prices.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alls well and good stockpiling tinned food. BUT. if like me you cant get a decent tin opener that actually opens tins your screwed lol

ive got plenty of beans and soup and cup a soups
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Betty_Crumble
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.
    I wouldn't call it hoarding, that's keeping stuff you don't need and won't use, I think I'm being careful with my money. The shower gels were 10p and I got them because they will be used AND cost me 10p, not just because of the price. If i were buying stuff that was cheap but I had no use for and had a stock of that then that would be daft. It would really hurt my intelligence to buy 1 at a good price and have to pay 10 x's as much when I had used that up. For such little amounts I doubt saving the equivalent would give me such a great return. For (e.g) £1 outlay on 10 shower gels (if they sold at £1 initially) I have in effect 'made' or 'saved' £9.
    The Americans are on a whole other level, like i said i will only buy what I will use.
    Anyone got pics of their's?
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • Betty_Crumble
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    alls well and good stockpiling tinned food. BUT. if like me you cant get a decent tin opener that actually opens tins your screwed lol

ive got plenty of beans and soup and cup a soups

mine is brabantia, from lakeland about 10 yrs ago and its brill :)
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • Betty_Crumble
    Options
    May I ask exactly what you're stockpiling for? I can see the sense in having extra supplies of bog roll, bottled water, matches and some packets/tins etc in case of bad weather/power cuts, or the security of having say a month's worth of basics if you lose your job, but I'm not quite sure of the point of hoarding 20 bottles of shampoo.

the amount of times i have to tell guys i'm washing my hair means i should go out and get more tbh :rotfl:
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • tuttifruiti20
    Options
    I don't really stockpile as such - well I don't think of it that way anyway! I do take advantage of special offers though when they come along, so I have no problem with having 5 or 6 large bags of pasta stored in the cupboard that will last a year or two if I was able to get them super cheap when I bought them.

I think my biggest 'stockpile' was waaaaay back when boots and other stores had sanitary towels for £1 a pack, and each pack came with a £1 off coupon in it. I have to admit that time I bought enough to last me a good few years... imagine my dismay however when they finally ran out and I had to start spending money again lol. ( a friend of mine stored her stock pile of the same in the loft as an extra layer of insulation hehe).
  • spiddy100
    spiddy100 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to go the other way to be honest. I'm a natural stockpiler (when I was a kid I used to help my mum put her shopping away and pretend we were in LIttle House on the Prairie and we were stocking up for a long winter) but it's getting to the point where my house is too full and I have ££££ of food stored away. It's all non-perishable and will get used eventually but I need to curb my stockpiling I think and use some of my stocks. If something's on special offer (2-for-1 etc) I try just to get as much as I think will get me through to the next decent special offer rather than going mad "just in case". The exception obviously is bargains like shower gel for 10p which is too good to pass up!

BTW I buy in bulk when things are bargains, not with any doomsday scenario in mind (I have learnt that I am not actually a pioneer living on the prairie, sadly).
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I don't stock pile hugely - I might by a few if I see a bargain - because I have realised the 'special offers' come round all the time. I have never paid full price for finish dw tablets but never stock piled either - they are alway on offer somewhere or available in Homebargians or B&M.

Hubby already thinkks i have a groccereis shopping problem as we usually end the month with more food in than we started it but it does all get used, howeverit would take me several lifetimes to use all that salad dressing!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport