MSE News: Driving to France? Pack a breathalyser or risk fine

Options

Comments

• jno
    jno Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone in France recommend where to get them super cheap? I am coming over the border from Belgium in a few weeks and don't want to get ripped off in the UK.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does this mean that when everyone gets stopped after a toll booth, then les flics now uses the drivers breathalyser and not one they supply?
    One newspaper yesterday reported that:
    • the 'official' ones are inaccurate and under-register
    • the police use their own units, which of course are accurate
    It was the Mail on Sunday, so I will wait until a real newspaper reports before being convinced.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    jno wrote: »
    Anyone in France recommend where to get them super cheap? I am coming over the border from Belgium in a few weeks and don't want to get ripped off in the UK.

See post #24 1 Euro each
  • January20
    January20 Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    I am starting to get a bit concerned about this subject, because I have a long trip coming up next month, and need to get the breathalysers. I have seen them advertised on Ebay but nowhere else, and the feedback is not brilliant, regarding packaging and damaged kit.
    It would not surprise me at all, if it was just the British drivers being targeted, in order to make easy money for the French government.

This is a very silly thing to say, that I would expect to read in the Daily Mail or such tabloid. There is a great problem in France with accidents on the roads, and people drink driving: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6920720.stm Do you think that the French authorities care so much about British tourist that they would vote in a law just to annoy them? The British are far more obsessed with the French than the French with the British :rotfl:

You can find them on Amazon. Pricey but with the NF mark. Which you need. Don't bother buying anything that hasn't got this.

Personally, I'm going to buy them here and store them in my glove compartment, and as never drink if I'm about to drive they can stay there forever or until they get to their use by date - if they have one.
    LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    January20 wrote: »
    This is a very silly thing to say, that I would expect to read in the Daily Mail or such tabloid. There is a great problem in France with accidents on the roads, and people drink driving: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6920720.stm Do you think that the French authorities care so much about British tourist that they would vote in a law just to annoy them? The British are far more obsessed with the French than the French with the British :rotfl:

You are right, France does have a bigger problem with drink driving than the UK but I don't think this new law will make any difference. The rule is that you just have to carry them not that you have to use them.

The drink drive limit in France may be lower than the UK but the chances of getting stopped (especially in rural areas - unless you have a foreign plate) is almost zero and the fines and punishments were also less. It took Britain 20 years to improve the social and cultural attitude to drink driving and we still have problems. It's going to take France more than a cheap breathalyser.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understood that anyone caught without one until November would receive only a warning? After that, the fixed penalty will be €11.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Bob_the_Saver
    edited 1 July 2012 at 11:37AM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    I understood that anyone caught without one until November would receive only a warning? After that, the fixed penalty will be €11.

Not having them might encourage the police to look around more rather than just producing the required items if stopped and being waved on your way.
    They are only a Euro each after all, and the law might just save a few lives.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where can you get the 40p breathalyser??

Thanks
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    Where can you get the 40p breathalyser??

Thanks

Beats me, there seems to be a shortage anyway, best I could find was 1 euro each.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure