Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    edited 26 August 2009 at 7:44AM
    Options
    Odd that you know so much about the way your supplier works but are unsure about whether they will bill you every month:p. Here's the answer you are looking for (but I'm sure you know it already :rolleyes:) - they won't.

I'm assuming from your post that your DD wasn't affected by the coldest Winter we have experienced for several years? SP didn't increase it? You (and they) saw it coming and adjusted the DD before it actually happened? If so, have you thought about working for the Met Office? They could certainly do with some of your skills..

PS Maybe being a single household this doesn't happen to you but our retail spending definitely rises exponentially leading up to Xmas. I haven't noticed the retailers asking for us to pay more for our shopping now in order to pay the same sums at Xmas. Puzzling...

PPS looks like SP offer variable DD on some of their products. Cheapest tariff I could find that does offer this is Online Energy Dual Fuel. Based on my usage (15000 gas, 4800 leccy, Yorkshire region) this works out at £120 MORE than the 'bald' UW figure and £570 more than my projected net figure. What's the deal with SPs cash back card? It would have to be very good...
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • Decado23
    Decado23 Posts: 255 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2009 at 8:26AM
    Options
    Whether it's better to pay exactly for your usage or average the spend over a year is down to individual preference. Personally I tend to prefer the budget plan as it allows me to plan my spending without worrying about peaks in usage busting the bank too much as the cost will be spread.

Of course regular meter readings are essential to keep the estimated usage close to the mark - I fell foul of this problem last year as the approach of winter coincided with my daughter's first year of life. My previous supplier wanted to almost double my monthly DD this year based on a one off period of frequent steam-sterilising and slightly higher central heating usage last year - even though I was still in credit.

Of course that could happen with any supplier but I find the monthly bill from UW prompts me to check my actual usage versus their estimate and submit a reading if they are getting a bit wide of the mark.

Obviously there's nothing stopping someone submitting regular meter readings to any supplier that allows it (either online or over the phone) but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people are considerably less concerned with their energy usage than the regulars on this board - for these people I think a regular monthly reminder of their spend could be a considerable benefit.

UW distributor
    “Things that I felt absolutely sure of but a few years ago, I do not believe now. This thought makes me see more clearly how foolish it would be to expect all men to agree with me.” - Jim Rohn
  • andybos
    andybos Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!! all this interest in UW!! Fantastic!! i am very happy to be involved with a company that holds best buy status for services, and 5star awards for others!! given by the leading consumer mag! not forgetting the TOP PLC 2008 award given to the company by FT. I became a customer years ago,then I became a distributor. The services and benefits are there for all that want them,but of course its not for everyone. Have a great day.
    Andy UW distributor
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    I absolutely agree about each person having different preferences as to how they pay for their domestic fuel but it's still very good that UW actually gives people a choice. I think you hit on a very important point, Decado23, regarding paying the same amount each month over the course of a year - the supplier will often overreact to a sudden surge in usage (last Winter was a good case in point) and are seemingly massively reluctant to explain how they have arrived at the new (often horrendous) DD figure.

That's personally why I have opted out of the budget plan with UW - unlike with other suppliers there's no financial penalties involved and, most important for me, I'm actually in control of the DD not them - use less fuel and it will be lower, use more fuel and it will be higher. No tinkering from the supplier, no overreaction to a sudden cold snap etc. It really is refreshing to have the choice.
    Call me Carmine....

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You manage to repeat
    Sorry. I forgot to repeat asking you for an apology regarding the false statement you made some time ago. How about it? And the link to your Utility Warehouse pre payment card beating offering?

I am an independent distributor for Utility Warehouse and the views I express may not be shared by the company.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2009 at 11:36AM
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I forgot to repeat asking you for an apology regarding the false statement you made some time ago.

As I have previously posted (and to use your vernacular), you lie when you make that statement.

You seized on a question I posed, back in May, twisted it into this false accusation regarding me making a "false statement" and have gone as far as trying to "blackmail" me into admitting it by saying unless I apologised you would resort to a libel action.

You know no apology can or will be forthcoming.

So just put up or shut up.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    edited 26 August 2009 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Anyone else get the distinct impression the UW-beating cash backcard Q has been banging on about for months is merely a figment of his imagination? He just totally ignores any request for further info. Behaviour that would beggar belief if it wasn't being exhibited by Quentin.
    Call me Carmine....

• Decado23
    Decado23 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    As I have previously posted (and to use your vernacular), you lie when you make that statement.

You seized on a question I posed, back in May, twisted it into this false accusation regarding me making a "false statement" and have gone as far as trying to "blackmail" me into admitting it by saying unless I apologised you would resort to a libel action.

You know no apology can or will be forthcoming.

So just put up or shut up.

If I recall correctly the question you refer to was along the lines of 'is that how you used to stitch people up?'

It seems to me the question relates to the method of stitching up rather than the stitch up itself, implying that it is a matter of fact that Nige used to stitch people up.

Since you have no basis for that implied accusation, I believe an apology would be appropriate.

Less complex is the plain accusations of me 'intentionally and cynically' misleading people by posting information which I (and Carmine) was able to prove correct. Any apology for that?

UW Distributor
    “Things that I felt absolutely sure of but a few years ago, I do not believe now. This thought makes me see more clearly how foolish it would be to expect all men to agree with me.” - Jim Rohn
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your recall is mistaken.

Bearing in mind the legal threat already made by your colleague, why are you getting involved by using mistaken "recall" like this?
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    There he goes again. Totally ignoring the question regarding his excrutiatingly embarrassing (for him) npower annual discount gaffe.
    Call me Carmine....

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family