Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

MSE News: Budget 2012: Cigarette prices to rise tonight

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Budget 2012: Cigarette prices to rise tonight

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
78 replies 8.7K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Smokers will be hit by higher duty prices on tobacco, while alcohol duty will remain the same..."
«1345678

Replies

  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Good ! Smoking is a disgusting filthy habit which kills people. I get annoyed that I can't sit at outside tables for lunch/coffee/drink without being subjected to smoke at a pub or cafe. I can smell smokers from a metre away if they smoke a lot. The more people who give up the better, frankly. Smoking shoul be illegal.

    And since when did cigarettes become groceries ??
  • good, just enough to raise some money, but not quite enough to make people quit. surely this is exactly the right amount. When i smoked, this would have made no impact on if i gave up or not.
  • SuarezSuarez Forumite
    970 posts
    Stick them up to £10 a packet :)
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Good ! Smoking is a disgusting filthy habit which kills people. I get annoyed that I can't sit at outside tables for lunch/coffee/drink without being subjected to smoke at a pub or cafe. I can smell smokers from a metre away if they smoke a lot. The more people who give up the better, frankly. Smoking shoul be illegal.

    And since when did cigarettes become groceries ??

    And anti-smokers like you should get a life and stop trying to make others life a misery.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    booze and fags
    no effect for me :)
  • angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caoimhin wrote: »
    No, it shouldn't be illegal, as the tax is good for the economy, but smoking related diseases shouldn't be treated on the NHS either.

    When the NHS is reformed properly that will go a long way towards reducing spending.
    And neither should drink related illnesses. Smoking and drinking costs the NHS vast amounts of money, I read somewhere that over 90% of A&E admissions over the weekend were drink related. This country is sitting on a ticking time bomb with alcohol related illnesses like liver disease etc.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anguk wrote: »
    And neither should drink related illnesses. Smoking and drinking costs the NHS vast amounts of money, I read somewhere that over 90% of A&E admissions over the weekend were drink related. This country is sitting on a ticking time bomb with alcohol related illnesses like liver disease etc.

    easily believe that
    I was in for "mad Friday"
    I was the only non drink incident for 9 hours,in a packed A&E
  • walwinwalwin Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope all those on here who are vociferously anti smoking and anti drinking aren't overweight as that's unhealthy too and also costs the NHS dearly.

    And no, I'm not a smoker, but I defend people's right to smoke if they so choose ;)
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    walwin wrote: »
    I hope all those on here who are vociferously anti smoking and anti drinking aren't overweight as that's unhealthy too and also costs the NHS dearly.

    And no, I'm not a smoker, but I defend people's right to smoke if they so choose ;)

    non smoker
    non drinker
    paying for my gym,personal trainer,cycle instead of using the car etc etc
    good enough to have an opinion,or do I need ot put in more effort?
  • edited 21 March 2012 at 8:01PM
    EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    edited 21 March 2012 at 8:01PM
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    And anti-smokers like you should get a life and stop trying to make others life a misery.

    Why should I put up with kipper-smelling chavvy smokers and their phlemgy coughs blowing their carcinogens over me when I want a drink/something to eat ? Smoking isn't justifiable and only losers do it.

    Non-smoker, non-drinker and don't consume processed ready meal junk food or takeaways either. No halo though as I'm an atheist :D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support