PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    A happy morning CS-ing here in not very sunny Scunny!

Age Concern - a smart black ipad shoulder bag £1 (perfect for work) and a pretty "Guess" muted pink scarf (looks unused as it still has tags on!) £1 ...... extra bonus of unopened packs of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol tablets in the internal pockets of the bag :rotfl:

Hospice Shop - Thrilled to get two pretty vintage etched port glasses - 50p and a (also brand new with tags on) Kangol hooded quilted gilet for £4.50 - a bit over budget but it looks really nice quality & I know that I will get an awful lot of wear out of it.

Still hoping to get a Pyrex measuring jug sometime soon as I am fed up with not being able to read the measurements on my plastic ones but really pleased with this mornings purchases!
    Kangol stuff can be pricy so I think that's a decent bargain.

Re the meaasuring jug:
    I picked up a small one in my local hospice shop the other day - but it had no measurements on it at all.
    It looked like it had never had any rather than they had been rubbed off.

So - can anyone tell me what use is a measuring jug without any measurements on.....? smiley-confused013.gif
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Re the meaasuring jug:
    I picked up a small one in my local hospice shop the other day - but it had no measurements on it at all.
    It looked like it had never had any rather than they had been rubbed off.

So - can anyone tell me what use is a measuring jug without any measurements on.....? smiley-confused013.gif

Do you mean it was just a jug?

Or did it have lines but no writing? That would be odd.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Swampmonster
    Options
    To be honest, I've wondering what I'd do with my Primark clothes if I want to get rid of them, and I thought maybe the best solution would be to put them for recycling, rather than donating them to a charity shop, which would only overprice them anyway?

Please still donate them to a charity shop. Ours still sells their stuff at a reasonable price and the worse that could happen is that it doesn't sell when on the pound rail having been at normal price previously and the charity recycles it themselves and has the money.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    I will now only donate to local independants. As I know everything goes out on the shop foor if they cant it is ragged.

Me too.

They are more user friendly too. I can actually find my size in them. Whereas Oxfam and Barnados sort by colour so that the shop looks nice but I can never find anything I want that way. It does my head in.

I am guessing it is best if you are a size 10 or 12 as they seem to get the largest quantities of stock. One size does not fit all.
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    To be honest Oxfam would be the last charity I would donate to, I had an interview with them and was told they would keep a loss making branch to see their name on the high street.
    This would never happen with the hospice movement

I'm not that keen on Oxfam, in particular their pricing structure given the quality of some of the books, but I find the Oxfam bookshop a good place to take more academic books, ones that students might need, like poetry anthologies, classic books etc. I also take books that I know will get a better price in Oxfam, like in 2014, I bought a chart autobiography, didn't like it, tried to sell it on eBay/Amazon, it didn't sell, so I took it to Oxfam, as I knew they would sell it for more, than other charity shops, who would only price it at £1/2 as per their pricing structure, when I know as a very recently published book, it would be worth more than that.
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got a few bits yesterday for the first time in ages!

Popped to the CS down the road to drop off a couple of bits and of course had to have a look around. I didn't realise, but pretty much everything in the shop is priced at £1! It's in a really convenient location and shares a car park with a Tesco Express, so I imagine it's very popular for people dropping things off, I guess they price things low to get through stock. Anyway, I picked up a white top from New Look (£1) which is a really nice thick material...kind of hard to explain, I'll get a picture of it later!

Later in the day whilst out shopping I got a pair of thick jeggings in a light demin colour from Gilly Hicks for £3.90. I believe the brand has now been taken over by Hollister, but they're a really nice quality. They're super soft and comfy which is just what I need at the moment since I'm spending half my time curled up in front of the computer writing my thesis.

The shop had buy one get one free on all trousers & skirts so I also got a long grey midi pencil skirt from Primark for £3.90. I never buy Primark items from CS normally, but since I was buying the jeggings anyway, I thought I may as well get the skirt for free as it was the only other thing I liked.

Lastly, in the same shop, I got a handbag from New Look for £6.95. It looks like it's never been used at all. It's in a sort of "stone" colour. It has short straps as well as long straps that can also be reattached to turn it into a backpack. They also had a Michael Kors handbag, but they were selling it for £17.99 and it looked quite well used, so I thought it was a bit expensive (although I am kind of regretting not getting it!).
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Great finds there ^ :beer: . Michael Kors seems very over-rated, I don't know why as I've never seen anything I fancy is that range.

I went shopping for something specific today, rather than just mooching. Needed another vase suitable for daffodils, as we have rather a lot because we bought some and then were given some. Found the ideal thing in BHF for £1.50 - a white porcelain jug, the perfect size and shape. Very pleased, the daffs look lovely in it on the kitchen window ledge :T .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 29 February 2016 at 5:51PM
    Options
    Bought a M&S pink cardigan - the short style - from our hospice shop, still had the cicrcular inspection label on £1.00.

Goes perfectly with the Mantaray tunic in jade & fuchsia pink that was reduced to £1.00 from £3.50 in the Sue Ryder shop.

Dallied with a 'Black Yak' hat, BNWT, like this. Also in Sue Ryder
    125x242_1442483275HatearflapstitchmossstripedWC91D.jpg
    No price on it but I might have another look tomorrow.
    From Black Yak website:
    Black Yak has the most amazingly wonderful hats.

Hand knitted on knitting needles, using only the best quality wool - like they should be.
    They are half fleece lined to stop the itching to your ears and forehead and to keep you warm, but let the steam escape!
    Label said 'hand knitted in Nepal'.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,914 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From the Community Shop this afty....a pair of as new black Liz Claiborne trousers....jeans stylee but if the pockets/buttons/rivetty things are covered they just look like smart trousers...£2.50 and a perfect fit :). Last Friday at the Hospice Sale I got a nice M & S T shirt in beige, as new for 50p. :)

Called into the BHS shop too and they had an authentic, vintage black Mulberry bag for sale priced at £100! I know Mulberry is expensive and even 'pre-loved' bags go for multiple squids but on this one the flappy-over bits were all curled up and the leather looked very dried out...will be interesting to see if it sells at that price! :o
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Smoosh wrote: »
    .......... They also had a Michael Kors handbag, but they were selling it for £17.99 and it looked quite well used, so I thought it was a bit expensive (although I am kind of regretting not getting it!).

Apparently the fake ones can be bought on holiday for only £30, and I'm told they look identical. So you might have made apt he best decision x
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport