PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I really do need to get into the other bit of my wardrobe to attack it again, I dealt with the other half of it a few weeks ago which was quite satisfying lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    The best find for some time is a big bag of Jaeger Catkin wool - a boucle chunky - in a gorgeous terracotta shade. It's discontinued , but I've got a couple of 1950s patterns (also from chazzas) which can be used for it. It's 20 balls, 50g each, and I reckon it would cost over £50 for an equivalent, so getting it for £7.99 was great, plus I'll have a super winter jacket! (and knitting keeps my hands busy when I'm watching TV, so keeps me from nibbling, better for my figure!)

One local chain of chazzas used to be reasonable, but has been expanding rapidly and refurbishing existing shops. The prices have gone up considerably, like £30 for a dress! Plus they are now described as "resale stores" rather than charity shops - very strange!
  • got-it-spend-it
    Options
    Totally inspired by this thread I popped into my favourite chazza today and picked up a gorgeous Sweaty Betty vest and yoga pants set, as well as a Manteray skirt. Very pleased with that haul from my first charity shop visit in months!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just one 'find' this week but a nice one.......:)

Again in the RSPCA shop, yet another Jasper Conran dress...b/n sleeveless, scoopy draped/cowl-type neck, knee length with a pleated 'flippy' skirt in shades of green/navy/tan, priced at £8.99. I'm intrigued as to why they are getting all of these Jasper Conran, size 12, new dresses in all of a sudden? It's costing me a fortune :p
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have been clearing out and donating rather than shopping! I cleared out a pile of really good quality work clothes to our local hospice shop as I'd prefer the money raised to be used locally. I think that's why so many of the local charities fare better.
    Went into BHF today just cos it was raining & got a nice pair of navy Hotter trainers for me and a pair of Rohan trousers for DH - came to £12 - bit pricey but pleased as they both looked new.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2015 at 10:40PM
    Options
    I'm really pleased with my haul today! I needed a wine rack for my new flat so I went to the fantastic Clan shop in my neighbourhood and found:

the perfect black wire 15 bottle wine rack for £2.50
    A heavy rustic copper reproduction magazine rack for £2 (which I plan to fill with logs in lieu of a fireplace)
    A vintage union jack cushion for £2 and
    A nearly-new Oasis chiffon bird of paradise blouse for £4.

Whilst there, I also saw a pretty new-looking Boden rainbow striped silk tulip skirt for £4 (too long for me!) and a pretty monsoon silk top for £4.50 (too big!)
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I went to a nearby city yesterday and bought from Oxfam:
    Per Una jersey maxi dress in shades of blue & turquoise £4.49
    Per Una jersey maxi dress with cap sleeves in multi colours £4.99
    Loona (Paris) jersey short dress in coral, pink, lime, cream & turquoise - will be perfect as a beach cover-up for my up-coming holiday £2.49
    Mantaray cap sleeved tunic/T shirt in fawn and turquoise, perfect with linen trousers £2.49
    So £14.46 in total.

They had a sale on and the items above would have been double (£28.92) but I doubt that I'd have bought them at that price.

Just need to wash & iron them and then find a space in my wardrobe. The 3rd part of this is going to be the hardest. ;)

Oh - and a Harlan Coben book for the hols 50p
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    Something spooky is going on with me and charity shops. My Dd aged 11 has decided to bake a recipe off the great British bake off every week and its starting with Mary's walnut cake. Well at the cs there was a mary berry book with the recipe in for 60p she has also restarted riding lessons and needed riding clothes. Well in the second cs there were a pair of jodphurs in excellent condition just her size and £3.50 I looked at the ladies scarves as I remembered once reading on here how someone got a white company scarf sure enough the first scarf on the rail was a white company one. Fourth shop we went in had a lovely joules polo top which matched the jodphurs for £3.50.
    This sort of thing seems to happen quite often does anyone else experience this?
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    I wish I could say "yes" bobsa1, but sadly it doesn't!
    May be the power of positive thinking?
    Normal people worry me.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kboss - I've repurposed a gunmetal magazine rack to store logs too. It was useless as a rack 'cos the magazines all slid down instead of staying upright. It fits just nicely sideways alongside the fire.
    Googled my Hotter plimsolls - £59!!! and they are SO comfy. DH's trousers were much too short in the leg. Did toy with turning them into shorts but he has plenty so I'll return them for someone else.
    Good Hunting all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure