PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• sedment
    sedment Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, school jumpers cost a fortune, only got my ds one new one this year (for the photo), last years will have to do him.

Got a food processor looks new for £5 always wanted one. As with most charity shop things no instructions :( need to work out how to use the attachments, think its a juicer as well.

Apparently its what a lot of schools do with the lost property, might be worth a look in your local one?? My sons school isnt that strict uniform wise, but I really grudge £10 a jumper, when the jumpers tend to bobble and just get lost or stolen. Another cs find, a debobbler for school jumpers, brill!! Can you put in the processors make and number into google ?? Might be able to download from net?? x
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just got a beautiful Poole Pottery large bowl for £8.50 in purples and greens. Really pleased and found it before a gentleman saw it!
  • empressemma
    Options
    Forgot to add to my list the other day...
    A cath kidston mug for 80p :)

And on the school jumper front, I found one for a friends son at a jumble sale, it was new, 20p! I also found a coat (I used to work for a school uniform company and knew the coat was worth about £30, waterproof and fleece lined) also 20p!! And a very grateful friend :D
  • Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I splashed out a bit in my charity shop today. Dropped some things off and my daughter spotted an acoustic guitar..still in it's original box with the wrapping in the box with it. There was also a soft case in the box for it. £20. It's the most I have ever spent in a charity shop on one item but £20 for what looks like a brand new guitar couldn't be missed...and this time next year my daughter will learn guitar in school too, so that's the instrument sorted. :)
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    I got myself elbows deep into a bargain basket yesterday, something I never do in my home town but we were a little further afield where they are more generous with their reductions :j

I found a rather wonderfully ugly 1950s ish dress, marked down from £8 to £4 to ..... 50p :D. I then found (another :o) headscarf for £1 and can't wait to wear them. I've heard tell of these baskets of wonder but just don't find them- I could have spent ages rootling through but I had four children to monitor, and had to cut the rootling short. Next time I may just go on my own!
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    Don Estelle LP Lonely Wine, excellent condition, 50p, and the nice bit is it's signed - to someone with the same name as me.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    I got myself elbows deep into a bargain basket yesterday, something I never do in my home town but we were a little further afield where they are more generous with their reductions :j

I found a rather wonderfully ugly 1950s ish dress, marked down from £8 to £4 to ..... 50p :D. I then found (another :o) headscarf for £1 and can't wait to wear them. I've heard tell of these baskets of wonder but just don't find them- I could have spent ages rootling through but I had four children to monitor, and had to cut the rootling short. Next time I may just go on my own!

Oooowww! I love the bargain bins too! It must be better to sell things at 50p than for them to go for rags/landfill IMO. My local Age Concern has everything priced at £1 or less, even for the Jaeger and 'designer'brands - so I treat myself to a very affordable "something new to me" every week :)

Not CS but Farm Foods are selling multi-packs containing 6 packs of Polo mints tubes for 29p - less than 5p per tube :) Bargain! :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Was in a different town yesterday and bought:

Next strappy top, a bit strange with tiny flower pattern on the front, trimmed with striped material with the same colours in and a plain green back trimmed with the striped material £1.00. Sounds hideous but looks nice. Well, I think it does. :rotfl:

Quechua hiking crops, look brand new in a bright green colour. Very comfy and will probably take on holiday (with the Next top) for casual days out. They were £1.99.

And when I got back to my town, I just had time to pop into one of the shops I've not been into recently and found a pale grey 100% cashmere short cardigan with 3/4 sleeves and trimmed with 3 satin buttons. Will look great with a maxi dress.
    At £4.25 it's not as good a bargain as Beenie's bargain but it's hardly been worn.
    It's so soft and snuggly - and I love it!. :T
  • hobbitfancier
    Options
    Well done, school jumpers cost a fortune, only got my ds one new one this year (for the photo), last years will have to do him.

Got a food processor looks new for £5 always wanted one. As with most charity shop things no instructions :( need to work out how to use the attachments, think its a juicer as well.

In Ireland uniforms are extortionate!! You usually can only buy them in one local shop so they are free to charge as they see fit. When I started secondary school my skirt was £80, so it had to last through 6 years (which meant it was too long on my spindly 13 year old legs and then snug on my 18 year self) and the jumpers with crest totalled around £30 each and then there was the tie (£10 x 2) and the shirts. When I was leaving school they were introducing generic waterproof jackets with school crest for €60. And then there's the books! How are parents on lower incomes supposed to cope?! Argh, I get so angry over this. Thank god I'm done with that and my brother is finishing up too (at least he could get his school trousers in Tesco).
  • 415SanFran
    415SanFran Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday I got a really good haul, after a very dry spell.

Hairy Bikers diet cookbook for £2.
    Mr Men library of six board books for my grandaughter, for £1.

AND A vintage still in the package FOTHERGAY set of curtains. They had been bought in the C0-Op originally for £29.99 Didn't we stop using price tickets in the early 80's? They are in a lovely duck egg blue and brown, I will line them for the winter, they are just the perfect size for my bedroom.
    So pleased.
    So with the candelwick bedspread that I found for £4 a few weeks ago, that is my bedroom all ready for the cold weather, even if I'm not.
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family