PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So I woke up feeling lucky today and took it to mean I'd find some china from the old DDR (I like the Kahla stuff) or some Corelle plates. Off I went, no luck in the first store but crossed the highway and found something that is so hard to find here in Canada, that I had to double check I wasn't hallucinating.

Three Woods Ware Jasmine cups and saucers. Not just the plain yellow ones but ones with brown trim and wildflowers on them. For $6.99 for the set.

What made it even more fantastic is that number two son has the same cup and saucer that he picked up in a town 200Km away from a thrift store.

He's now the happy owner of a set of four!
  • Westywoodpecker
    Options
    I'm a sucker for buying books, even if I don't know the author, if there are three or four of them together. In my mind someone has enjoyed a book & then bought the others too :D

I found five different books by Patricia Scanlan for £4 which I intend to read now I'm off work for two weeks :j
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A tunic/dress/top (can be worn as all 3 really :p), River Island, £3.

A grey t shirt, Next, £1.95.

A dress, F&F, £2.95 (this is actually a child's 12-13, but it doesn't look childish, and I'm a size 6 and it fits me well).

A bed sheet, £3.49. I bought this for the fabric because it's perfect for what I'm looking for to cover the seat pads of my chairs in and there'll be loads left over, so I might even make some cushions.

2 nail polishes, one Star Gazer (minty colour) and one Accessorize (light pink), 20p each.
  • Nicepeach
    Nicepeach Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2013 at 6:40PM
    Options
    Hi everyone :hello: I don't post as much as I used to but still enjoy reading all your posts.

I am very pleased with my latest find...

Full length Morlands sheepskin boots, leather foot part & sheepskin from just above the ankle. In chocolate brown with a crepe sole. Will be lovely & snuggly for the winter. £2 :j

So don't forget to look at "unseasonal" things. The day I bought these it was VERY hot & sunny & I wouldn't have bothered looking but the lady in the shop was announcing loudly "all shoes £1 per pair, boots £2 per pair" so had a little peek.

Oddly enough they had lots of wellies too, ladies, mens, kids (some lovely cute little yellow Hunter ones awwww).

Also recently got a lovely "Thelwell" umbrella, looks brand new with plastic covering still on the handle £5, it's a long one with a wooden handle & I've used it as a parasol in the sun, it's been fab as it has a silvery type lining & has kept me lovely & cool.

Also found a lovely hardback book for my brother. Water Light Time by David Doubilet a diver, journalist & image maker. Amazing underwater photos of fish, coral etc. £4.

It was my birthday very recently & I was lucky enough to be given a £50 voucher for Next but when I had a quick look in there today I was really disappointed & kept thinking "I wish I had £50 to spend in CS" :rotfl:
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have been on holiday last month, while away I decided I wanted a thin cotton shirt to use as a cover up. Found a CS in Puerto Pollenca and found said shirt for 3 euro. It was a Primark one!! Came home and whilst shopping yesterday popped into my local CS and found another one in a different colour. Perfect for another holdiay :)
  • DulceMiel
    DulceMiel Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Was on a CS mission today to get some much needed clothes for my upcoming time abroad (for nearly 3 months, :eek:) Quite stressed but had a list and managed to tick a couple of things off!

I got;

Black loose-knit shrug - From the £1 rail in Shelter.

Black casual cut-off cargo type pants - £1.99 in Salvation Army.

Mango knee-length denim shorts - £3.95 in Cancer Research. Been searching for appropriate length shorts for agggges! Sorry but I'd prefer to keep my cellulite to myself, ta! :rotfl:
  • sairy2010
    sairy2010 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have been on holiday last month, while away I decided I wanted a thin cotton shirt to use as a cover up. Found a CS in Puerto Pollenca and found said shirt for 3 euro. It was a Primark one!! Came home and whilst shopping yesterday popped into my local CS and found another one in a different colour. Perfect for another holdiay :)
    Can you please tell me where the CS in Puerta Pollenca is. We were told about it in My and went looking but could not find it. Some one said it is at the back of the Pine Walk but we walked the whole length. I would be really grateful for the info assuming I get back there next year. Thanks Sairy
  • piecemeal
    piecemeal Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    I collect small cups to use as scoops in storage jars for flour, washing gloop etc. I found a nice little blue and white one today for 50p. A white floaty blouse, unknown brand, not expensive, but exactly what I wanted. £3, BHF; usually very pricey but thought that was fair. Also jade green Bhs dress shirt for DH in Oxfam for £2; also usually pricey but apparently this branch is a "saver branch", according to the man there; Lowestoft; it was certainly cheap. DH found a hardback, recent novel he wanted to read but it wasn't priced; 25p! :j
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a lovely Laura Ashley navy dress with yellow and pink flowers and butterflies which I wore to a wedding this weekend but I needed a jacket to match! Couldn't find one new anywhere but eventually found a bright yellow Papaya (Matalan) jacket in Cancer Research CS for £4.50! Gorgeous lining too!

A few bargains I didn't buy included a pink patchwork American Eagle Outfitters bag for £5 (these are usually around $20 + p&p from US), an almost-new Fossil red leather bag for £25 (RRP over £100) and a lovely black and white Monsoon dress for £15 new (RRP £120).

(MIL also complimented my OH on his "smart trousers" the other day - I bought them in a local CS for £5! She's usually an M&S/JL-only shopper so I was quite pleased that she liked them!):D
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blether wrote: »
    Went on a short break to Aberdeen and got lots in their charity shops. The recession seemed to miss them as the shops are pretty full. The car boot is great as well.

I've yet to venture out to Thainston but I really should some day.

I agree about Aberdeen, the wealthy, Audi-driving oil workers in this town clearly like to have a good clear-out every now and then because you can often get Hunter wellies, Barbour jackets and Monsoon dresses new or nearly-new in many CS! :p

There also seems to be a lot of good quality, solid wooden furniture that often looks like it's been handed down through the generations in the furniture CS's. I've seen reasonably priced Singer sewing machines, huge wardrobes, almost-new sofas and dining sets in CS for very reasonable prices.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport