Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's why this board is so great , no judgement when you do become a skinflint :rotfl::rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take pride in the skinflintedness! Deep down we know its money smartedness though!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,920 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning all, and thanks, you've reassured me that I'm not being too tight.

Had a good weekend, where we didn't get much that we should have got done done, but did lots of walking instead :) even in the rain! Explored some nearby areas that were new to us and took snacks (Easter chocolate) so two free days out. I did manage to cut the grass on Saturday before it rained and DH got some work on the Mini done. Saw a friend last night and used Leisure Vouchers to pay for dinner - also covered a chunk of her dinner too, so she was happy. Evidence that I'm not a skinflint quite yet :D

Santa interest has been paid so deficit in savings is under £1000! Nw switch hasn't finalised yet, so DH and I still waiting for our £200 there.

Having kitty weeing problems again, so more special food ordered and a diffuser to see if that helps. There has been more fighting and hissing than usual. :( TCB, savings club discount from the retailer and Amex points to claw back from this expense - at least it's something!

A very bitty week coming up as far as I can tell. Various odd jobs to do, bitty bits of work (who knows what else, it's a very reactive job) and a busy social day on Weds, even though DH is away: helping sis with house viewings, meeting Brownie friend for lunch and planning (Wetherspoons, so nice and cheap :) her suggestion, not mine!), and then Dad's in the evening for fish and chips - his turn to pay :)

MS things:
    * Tried to use up some piccalilli in Saturday's curry.... 1/3 jar gone, but won't be repeating the experience. Have posted on the OS forum and had some suggestions, so will be implementing those (DH was given the jar by his mum, but I don't like it all and he's not keen!)
    * VB, MS rewards, SBs
    * YG survey
    * Nectar survey - was quite a quick one, 100 pts, so thanks Busy Mee!
    * OP survey and PA survey
    * Two meals out for £5.10 of real money

Gratitudes:
    * Excellent weekend doing fun stuff with DH
    * Nice catch up with friend
    * Caught up with family too
    * Felt like we actually fitted quite a few jobs in around all the fun!

Have a good afternoon all x
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Madvix,sounds like you've had a busy week. Any news on the car boot this weekend? I'm slowly collecting things from around the house to go! I need it to be sunny before I will do one though :p

You definitely don't sound like a skinflint at all! I wish I was as good as using vouchers...good for you!

Oh and thanks BusyMee! I've signed up to nectar canvass too! we don't have a Sainsys near us so the opportunities to collect points are few and far between
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • themadvix
    Options
    Judging by the forecast, I don't think car boot will be on this weekend either. Don't think Mum is busy, but the field is still likely to be waterlogged. We know we could go elsewhere (although the Saturday daytime works best for us anyway - Mum is not an early riser and has caring duties on a Sunday), but we like the atmosphere at this particular sale (and are familiar with the site, like to catch a glimpse of 'Brian May' (he's not, but it makes us giggle as he looks a bit like him!).

May have skived off this afternoon at Mum's with niece.... In fairness, it was moral support for Mum as she only had 3 hours sleep and has niece until 6.30 tonight (from 7.30 this morning!). Work is due to arrive, but hasn't as yet, so not feeling too guilty.

Have just booked hotel for BIL's wedding in Sept. Ignored expensive suggestions from him and opted for a cheapie travelodge in the city centre - it'll be a taxi ride after the wedding, but intending to split the cost with other BIL, so will still be cheaper. And TCB, of course ;) Oh, and within walking distance of a Beefeater for brekkie using LV :)

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan going for a cheap hotel, you will be out at the wedding anyway won't you so won't be able to make the most of it if you spend a lot.

Good luck with your "Brian may spotting"at the boot sale, my dd is a Queen fan and he came to visit college to do a talk in politics (the real one that is!) - she managed to touch the back of his hair apparently :rotfl::rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have to say i am not envious of your car boot sales. Mrs SJ says we should do one and my level of support is pathetic! I've offered to lad the car the night before,and then offered to bring a Mcdonalds breakfast later but thats my limit! I'd rather give Mrs SJ the £100 myself!

Loving your gratitudes list by the way. Great idea that i may shamelessly steal for a Sunday round up ;)
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I once visited a friend who was selling off her stuff at a car boot sale, as moral support for her. I think if you enjoy doing it, it can actually be fun. The other stallholders were really kind to her little boy, then aged four, I was surprised how good the atmosphere was.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    The boot sale thing is a funny one. Last time I was really nervous and not looking forward to it as I'd remembered how stressful the beginning was from a previous one, years ago (but had plenty of stuff I wanted to sell - made £60ish, I think). But in the end Mum and I enjoyed it a lot and had a good giggle - watching people and being amused at the number who'd pick up certain items and then put them down - we had a couple of things that had loads of interest but no one seemed to want to buy them until right at the end). I think having confidence in your prices, smiling at people and being prepared to engage make all the difference. DH is definitely of your opinion Jimmy, and while he would come along if I was desperate, I wouldn't want him to as he wouldn't enjoy it and I think he might scare the punters off (sorry DH! ;) ).

• themadvix
    Options
    Am struggling with focus today, even though I have plenty of work to get on with. Am also struggling to type as ginger kitty is laying across my hands!

It's grey again here today, but not raining quite as much, so hopefully will get out for a short walk with DH later. Have bread in the oven and have attempted to bake scones (have never made them before and they didn't rise very high, but taste light enough, so think I just rolled them a bit thin).

MS things:
    * 275 SBs for a 10 min survey :T nearly enough for a £10 voucher. Also 50 for full Swago board. Apparently there's a code day coming on Weds, so that should help, although not sure how much I'll be at my desk.
    * VB poll, MS rewards done
    * Meal planned until weekend of 20th (when we go away)

Gratitudes:
    * Kitty cuddles... although my shoulder is aching now
    * Plenty of work, even though I had to turn a large project down because it wasn't in my area of expertise :o
    * Evening class is back tonight (must do homework - whoops!)

Have a good afternoon!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback