Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,899 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi EG, will pop over and see if you've had a good holiday in a sec... Yes, they use plastic to seal the bags - if you ever home compost them you have to pick the bits out I think. But, public pressure has led to the Coop announcing that they'll be removing plastic from theirs asap and eventually PG Tips caved too (took more pressure). Not sure about the others, suspect they're all quietly doing the same. The revolution has begun :D (I can't explain how happy I am not to be being looked at as if I have two heads when I ask about plastic now!)

Have placed a cheeky bet on the National - with the money we leave in the bookies account every year for this occasion. Fingers crossed! Last year I won, so I doubt I'll be that lucky again twice in a row, although we do quite often do well for some reason :) It's the only gambling I ever do.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    How did you get on?
    Do I know another millionaire?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    Options
    Haha, no, not a penny today! :roftl:

But a smaller win.... just made pearl barley and broad bean risotto and it was delicious and as we get the beans in the veg box from time to time and aren't really keen, we'll do that again.

A couple of PA surveys in the bag too.

Just drinking the first of the newest batch of beer (it's a test one, we'll bottle the rest tomorrow and leave it to mature) - pretty good :) Oh the temptation to go into business!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MV,

Just catching up, how is your spinach looking? mine are in the greenhouse at the moment and are still alive which is great.

That's fantastic news about T-bags, I hadn't heard about that. We switched to loose tea a while ago but I do prefer T-bags as it's just easier.

Risotto and beer both sound lovely:T
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hi Crumpets :)

The spinach plants I've got are literally four tiny leaves each at the moment, so really can't say they're doing well... just doing!

I think I'll probably buy tea bags for when we go away etc., but loose tea is just fine at home (now everyone's been warned not to drink to the bottom!)

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

I'm feeling very domestic goddess today :A as I turned a shirt collar on one of DH's favourite shirts yesterday and it looked great. This is way beyond my normal sewing ability (which is usually start something, get stuck and not finish it for *ahem* years) and it was quick and simple so I am very happy. Also bleaching/dyeing another of DH's shirts (it's got sun cream stains on it), so another MSE win there if it works (had it soaking in ecover bleach yesterday and that doesn't seem to have done the trick, so decision about whether to try proper bleach or some Dylon is pending).

I have a huge to-do list of jobs today, which I intend to get through as far as possible. No work as yet (Mondays are often quiet as the Americans don't wake up till late!). May see Mum and Niece later, but only if they come up this way.

Taking cats to vets at lunchtime, so it definitely won't be a NSD - the hissing by one has reached epic proportions, so I would like to get them both checked over.

We went to an escape room last night - we'd done two at this venue before with BIL and GF, so this was his birthday present. It was great fun and we did manage to get an offer on the booking, so his part came in on present budget. Ours will come out of treat fund. We were very virtuous though and rather than eat out afterwards came home for tea - we didn't give the spendthrifts the choice as we were driving! I did offer them dinner, but GF turned her nose up at the involvement of spinach! :doh:

MS things:
    * PA surveys
    * SBs, VB, MS rewards
    * Washing on line
    * In a bit of a reorganise yesterday we unearthed some bits for boot sale (more?!!) and Ebay

Gratitudes:
    * We escaped the escape room - there were times when I was feeling very stupid and didn't think we would!
    * Fish finger sandwich (*with ketchup!* :p) for tea as we were starving, despite a cooked lunch (oops)
    * Stopped briefly on way to escape room and discovered Ongar railway station - a proper old-fashioned steam railway and very pretty station building.

Happy Monday everyone!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Escape room sounds fun! And fish finger sarnies with ketchup sounds fantastic, even for me as a veggie, slurp ...

The work on DH's shirts is definitely the stuff of domestic goddessnessness ... I am in awe. I'd stare helplessly and hand them to my sister :o

Rock on :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    That's more my normal reaction to sewing problems - hand them to MIL! But this seemed straightforward enough to manage and I think anyone else might have said 'just buy a new shirt'! (My Nan would very much appreciate this, so I rang Mum to get her to tell her (Sunday is Nan day) - not sure what Nan made of it (she's very not with it at the moment), but uncle was apparently very impressed and wants to send his my way! :rotfl:)

Escape rooms are fun! And they get you thinking laterally :)

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Very busy with life admin stuff at the moment, so just a quick check in. Saw two care homes with Mum yesterday and visiting another this morning. The information turned my brain to mush yesterday! Having lunch with friends today (the Turkish place we'd postponed from ages ago) and it's MIL's birthday so popping to see her after DH finishes work. Other jobs to fit in between :)

MS things:
    * SBs, MS rewards and VB (inc £1 survey)
    * Work has been quiet (thankfully as I am getting a lot of stuff done), but have fitted the bits I've had in around my 'excursions'!
    * Bargainous top-up shop in Aldi yesterday

Gratitudes:
    * Evening class went better than expected, despite mushy brain
    * Time for a quick walk with DH last night - helped clear my head
    * Crumble with first of the year's rhubarb :)

We're off at the weekend for a night and I'm now wondering exactly when I'm going to think about/pack for that! I think this may be a familiar theme over the next month as it's quite booked up!

Have a good day all - enjoy the sunshine!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Such a difficult decision about care homes! I presume thats for your nan? I never took part in that decision, there's a top-rated one so near to where people were, it just made sense to go with that. Not to say that my nan wasn't almost evicted a few times, for smoking in bed :eek:

Enjoy your day, and enjoy your weekend :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport