Has anyone flown Emirates?

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    It would be unusual if accommodation was not provided. Probably best to give them a call beforehand.
  • Just got back from a trip to Nairobi via Emirates (first time on Emirates). To me, it seems like how it was in the old days on airlines. I mean the food was good (I can't believe I'm writing that), I could get a nice cocktail without having to pay through the nose and when I needed a flight attendant for something I didn't feel like they were put out and cross. The A330s were satisfactory, but the new 777s are really top notch. Dubai airport was nice and clean as well, despite not having enough chairs (and the strange experience of seeing hundreds of people sleeping on the floor). The duty free is about the only duty free I've been in (and I travel a *lot*) where there were real bargains to be had. Don't hesitate!
    :D
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Remember to use the online check in 24 hours before you fly ...It's on the emirates web site here is a help page http://www.emirates.com/TravellerInformation/FAQ/olci/olci.asp

You should be able to check in quickley , get rid of the suitcases ..There will be a check in desk just for you.
  • Donnie wrote: »
    Are you sure that it is eight hours?
    If so, it is usual for the airline to provide hotel accommodation for transit times of eight hours or more.
    Confirmation:
    Arrive Dubai (Term) 1 06 Apr 2008 at 0520
    Depart Dubai (Term 1) 06 Apr 2008 at 1435

Lounge Pass info? Can we Duty Free shop 'In Transit'

Thanks,

SM
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Yes, you can shop to your heart's content.
    Have you contacted Emirates about hotel accommodation?
  • Donnie - thanks for the update - I'll give them a call. Even though its 06.00 - Who knows what time we'll think it is!

The free meal bit in Emirates' Restaurant sounds more interesting - particularly as my two could eat for England.

We were thinking about a Lounge Pass - £18pp, but only lasts 3 hours?

Thoughts?
  • I know this sounds a bit off topic but if anyone is considering flying through Dubai please make sure there is absolutely no traces of drugs, even marijuana, in your luggage or system. This is the once country in the world where you can get arrested and jailed even if you just consumed an illegal substance recently and there are traces in your blood. My best friend is a travel agent for a well known student flight company and told me some recent horror stories such as the ones below:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2169905.ece

(not condoning drugs but people do insist on taking them!)
    Got £820 back from HSBC! Now entering comps like mad with the hope of winning a nice long holiday....
  • khizman
    khizman Posts: 527 Forumite
    I flew to beijing on emirates in July- it was ok.

Remember though, if your waiting time is 4 hrs plus (ours was exactly 4 hours) you are entitled to a free meal at the airport in the buffet restaurant.

It was excellent, included drinks - around 30 dishes, rice, chicken, noodles, desserts etc.

I have flown emirates many times but only found this out recently! They don't exactly tell you.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    I didn't know that about Emirates Khizman, although both my stops going to and returning from China were less than 4 hours.

My flights were excellent, although long - the food was good, although going to China the flight had to stack for an hour and then it was about a 20 min bus journey to the terminal, which was hot and tortuous. Have to be honest and say I didn't actually see that much duty free, however I was more intent on finding my gate as the airport is so huge! I'm off to Thailand in May and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Emirates to anyone going on a long-haul flight, they're cheap, the planes and entertainment is great, and you get to stretch your legs for ages walking through the airport!

However, a word of warning - if you're only stopping over and want a coffee or something, take Euros - being Scottish I only had Scottish notes and they were refused, understandable I guess, English notes only are accepted!
  • khizman wrote: »
    I flew to beijing on emirates in July- it was ok.

Remember though, if your waiting time is 4 hrs plus (ours was exactly 4 hours) you are entitled to a free meal at the airport in the buffet restaurant.

It was excellent, included drinks - around 30 dishes, rice, chicken, noodles, desserts etc.

I have flown emirates many times but only found this out recently! They don't exactly tell you.

Hmmm. Had a good trawl though the Emirates site - can't find any thing. Where can I get some info on this? Do we just ask at Dubai on arrival?

Thanks,
    SM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family