PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How often do you clean your oven?

Options

Comments

• TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    TKP - I clean the top of cooker every few days with a wipe and a real deep clean when it gets a bit too much (especially as DH now retired and cooking every day). Oven is a bit of a bugbear. Have thought of doing a professional oven clean now and again. I take it, it is worth it? I don't mind paying if it is done really well. I must say we don't use oven often as I tend to slow cook but it still gunges up with things that do go in, especially if spillage if not careful.

Would welcome your comments. How much do you pay for a degrunge so I have a ballpark figure?

GB

Oh yes - def. worth it imo! It costs me £52 for both ovens (I have 2 eye level ovens, big one and small one). Takes him about 2 hours, and he really strips the WHOLE oven down - even cleans the racks. At the end it looks like a brand new oven (and it's 15 years old!). The price has stayed the same for the 4 years I have been having it done...
    I also have an oven liner at the bottom of each oven, got mine at lakelend (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!3318). Works wonders - and ovenu man says they are great too (I guess he loves them cos they make his job easier :rotfl: )
    btw - ovenu is a franchise company, so you are supporting a local person trying to make a living, not some big company (just thought I'd mention that)
    I would recommend them to anyone who hates cleaning ovens - I only have it done once a year. The rest of the year I wipe the outside clean and just leave the inside to "season" :rotfl:
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    lil_me wrote:
    Oven liner ? Never heard of those, where can I find one ? I'm a messy cook and that's why my own is cleaned more, more spills!

Just line the bottom of the oven with cheap Tesco Value foil, the throw and replace as needed.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    :cool2: I did mine last weekend and it took AGES

I will never again cook a goose breast uncovered!!!! The fat went everywhere and then some

I used oven pride for the first time and was amazed at how efficient it was on the racks. The gunk just melted off and the bag was very secure. It did a pretty good job in the oven too but I suppose I could have given the oven another coating to remove the very burnt on little blobs that you get

I scrapped one cheap expanding tray and spent a long time on the tray that came with the oven. Anyway I have since baked one covered casserole and one lot of scones and I am never again doing any meat uncovered

I hate doing the oven and to date give it a good clean every 6 months and a good wipe every week or so
  • lou26chris_2
    Options
    Not often enough :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously about once every 3 months !;)
    :heart:MONEY MONEY MONEY :heart:
    piggypoints update 15/10/07... 635 points
    £100.00 in boots vouchers collected... member since 28/01/07 :j :j
  • the_optimist
    Options
    I cleaned my oven last in November, too. Just can't remember if it was November 2005 or 04 :rotfl:

Hob gets cleaned after every use, am not that grotty :rotfl:
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • lou26chris_2
    Options
    lou26chris wrote:
    Not often enough :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously about once every 3 months !;)

I meant to say thats just my oven !! :o
    My hob every day !! :D
    :heart:MONEY MONEY MONEY :heart:
    piggypoints update 15/10/07... 635 points
    £100.00 in boots vouchers collected... member since 28/01/07 :j :j
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    I wipe the hob over every day, the oven I do throw a cloth at occasionally, but have it cleaned by the nice oven man once a year, he takes the whole thing to bits and it looks lovely (too nice to use) when he has finished. I have a combi micro so I do use that, depends on whether its a big cook where I need more than one shelf..........the micro is not a pretty sight, but its 14 years old, am waiting for it to go bang and I will replace it, I could actually do without an oven, but do need the hob.

Things will change in the flat, its all electric and here I have gas, am going to have to get used to using solid plates again and warming the oven up before I use it.............no instant heat in a leccy oven, although they are great for cooking meringues in...................
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • mrsmortenharket
    Options
    Hob daily. Oven needs doing actually. Some smoke came out of it yesterday! ;)

Will see price of oven man in my local area & maybe get it done properly!

Lisa
  • helping_hubby
    Options
    Living in rented accomodation I don't have the motivation to clean the oven very often. I actually had a go yesterday and it was impossible with all the caked on stuff.

Great tip about the ammonia and bin bag if that works...I spent ages scrubbing the shelves and they still have burned on grease spots.

We're in the middle of buying our first house and have bought a new oven for it. I think I will try and clean it once a week to keep on top. Will maybe try lining the bottom with foil too. Thanks for that tip.
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    I clean the hob once every couple of days - sometimes everyday though. Inside???? Hmmm can't remember when I last cleaned it, I think it must have been a good six months ago. the main problem for me is the door - I might try soaking it with some washing powder to see if that helps.

Also tempted to get someone in to bring it up to new and then #i can turn over a new leaf and clean it regularly ie once a month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure