PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How often do you clean your oven?

Options
It has just occured to me I haven cleaned my oven for ages, when do you clean yours?? I have a large 8 ring hob with 2 ovens and a grill, I only tend to use one oven and the grill and I havent cleaned it since November!!:eek:

Comments

• vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    I clean the hob daily but the inside?????????????
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :eek: You dirty mare :rotfl:

Every week :D

On saturdays I take all the removable bits off and throw them in the dishy and scrub the rest with a bit of washing powder dissolved in hot water.
    Bulletproof
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The hob i wipe down daily - the oven when moggins tells me to on the flylady thread!!!!
    Mind you, with half term, ive had a week off flying, so it hasnt been done this week!!!
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a self cleaning oven but only do that about every 6mths or so but I do wipe out the floor of the oven and do the shelves about once a month, and clean the glass door after I have cooked the Sunday joint in there as I find if I clean off the grease before it bakes on it comes up sparkling...

My oven is separate from the hob and at a level where it is easy to clean , no bending and getting on my knees , I find this makes the job so much easier and also the oven doors (double oven) can be lifted off making even easier access to inside and door....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ageandjo wrote:
    It has just occured to me I haven cleaned my oven for ages, when do you clean yours??

When I am shamed into it!

I have posted this on another thread. Put your oven trays and drip trays in a double black bin bag. Add a cupful of ammonia being careful to avert your eyes. Tie a knot in bag and leave outside backdoor overnight. The following day,(again averting your eyes) chuck the stuff out on the path and hose down. You`ll find all the trays etc are now gleaming and clean

Dispose of ammonia and bag. For the door etc, I use a brillo pad and a barbecue brush on the difficult marks.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a big fan or the "If I can't see it I ain't bothered about it" People alwaus comment that my house is immaculate but my cupboards, fridge, robes are a complete mess and harbour all kinds of sludge 'n' slime:D
    My hob I can clean as many as six times a day:eek: The minute something spills or boils over I clean it off. My oven, however, gets done one a year:o just before Christmas. People often coo "Ohh you've had a new oven" I havn't it's just that for once you can see through the glass:rotfl:
    I've been especially sloven this year at not even given it it's Christmas clean because during the summer when I move to the coast, Mrs MATH still here in the emids cleaned the oven in a fit of belated nesting LOL, so it wasn't THAT dirty by Christmas:rolleyes:
    If I'm feeling righteous I may chuck the shelves in the top of the DW occasionally but as the glass door is almost opaque with grot you wouldn't know I'd done it. LOL
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Math , I feel a whole lot better now.
    I was starting to feel very guilty, November which year?

Elmer xx
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do scrub the glass in the door every week (or so) and every month (ish) I soak the shelves in a cheapo bio washing powder/hot water solution.
    The hob gets cleaned more often cos I can see it ;)

My one non-MSE extravagance is having the Ovenu man come out every 12 months to clean the oven. It costs £40, but I think it's worth it. It's like having a new oven. He does a much better job than I ever could.
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    Lucie wrote:
    I do scrub the glass in the door every week (or so) and every month (ish) I soak the shelves in a cheapo bio washing powder/hot water solution.
    The hob gets cleaned more often cos I can see it ;)

My one non-MSE extravagance is having the Ovenu man come out every 12 months to clean the oven. It costs £40, but I think it's worth it. It's like having a new oven. He does a much better job than I ever could.

Just looked on their website and they don't cover my area. What do they do thats so special, that we can't do ourselves?
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The hob gets cleaned daily. It's a ceramic hob, so it only takes a quick wipe with a cloth to do that.

The oven gets cleaned when the burnt bits start making that horrid smoke that stings your eyes :o I hate cleaning the oven and put it off as long as possible.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport