PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How often do you clean your oven?

Options

Comments

• lauralla
    Options
    You could always try my sister's method.....don't use the cooker, then you don't have to clean it?

Honestly, she moved into her new house in November, it was a brand new oven. She came over a couple of weeks ago and said that her cooker wasn't working....so her landlady arranged for someone to come fix it, and it wasn't switched on at the plug!!!

That's how often she uses it!!!!!:rotfl:

Although to be fair, the plug was stuck down behind the washing machine?!
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lauralla wrote:
    You could always try my sister's method.....don't use the cooker, then you don't have to clean it?

Honestly, she moved into her new house in November, it was a brand new oven. She came over a couple of weeks ago and said that her cooker wasn't working....so her landlady arranged for someone to come fix it, and it wasn't switched on at the plug!!!

A bachelor friend of mine totally refitted his kitchen, new units, new oven etc., ..... 12 months later came to use it to discover a plasticcy-burning smell ... he hadn't removed the packaging ... :o

However, back to my own embarassment, when I read your opening post, my immediate reaction was sarcasm ... and to say "everyday" ... however, I've mellowed now (wine is my friend, LOL) and I can now be honest ....

I clean (or DH if nagged enough) cleans the hob each time it is used, the actual oven is cleaned about every 3mths, but we do use an oven liner at the bottom which makes a heck of a difference and is a cinch to clean :)

Last cleaned last weekend due to the glass being desperately grimy .. so was very pleased when I saw Moggins put it on the list to be done this weekend (The flylady virgin that I am :) ).
    GC - March 2024 -
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oven liner ? Never heard of those, where can I find one ? I'm a messy cook and that's why my own is cleaned more, more spills!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • us,thecat&thedebt
    Options
    our hob is cleaned when we use it..

the inside prob like most once a year..

to be honest we clean the oven trays when they are used and thats what the food is on so...
    :beer: :j OFFICIAL DFW NERD NO 159 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH OUR DEBTS:beer: :j

If you do a job well, people won't be sure you've done anything at all :rolleyes:

Must claim back bank charges!!!:rolleyes:
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    I clean my hob every day...but my oven - I had no idea it should be cleaned!!!:eek: :rotfl: There cannot possibly be a worse job than cleaning the oven...thats why so many of us give it a xmas treat! TBH..it does bother me sometimes. I do not use oven liners - I buy really cheap baking tray sets from the £1.00 shop and pop them on the floor of the oven - when one is mucky I chuck it away and pop another one in there. .. There..I have admited it -
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also any tips on getting the oven glass to be clear again appreciated, I clean it but it's still a burnt colour, possibly should be brown I suppose, got it second hand and it's always been that colour.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • exlibris
    Options
    I don't OH does!
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oven liner:

I got mine from John Lewis for about a tenner, but I saw Wilkos selling them for about £2 t'other week. They are thick black "plastic" which you put on the floor of the oven, and when mucky can hoik out and wash, far easier than having to scrub the floor of the oven.

Door glass:

Our's unscrews .... so I take it out and firstly soak it in bio powder ... and then get the Astonish oven cleaner on it (beware - wear plastic gloves!)

Finally, use vinegar for a streak free finish.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Once. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After taking my oven door off to clean it just before christmas last year, then dropping a screwdriver on the glass and shattering it to a million pieces, I've been banned from cleaning it :D

The hob (halogen) gets wiped down after every use, the front of the whole thing gets a weekly rub down and buff up but that's about the extent of it - life's far to short!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure