Does this seem fair for Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW

Options
ahll
ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all,
I am still working on quotes for the replacement of an old boiler with a combi boiler.

One quote suggested using a Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW the flue will have to go out through the flat roof (there is already a hole where the current boiler flue exits the house) and a magna clean will be applied (£69 + Vat). I believe the Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW is a good boiler I am sure some one here have recommended it. I think I also read that it even comes with 5 years waranty ?

My question is does £1147 seem like a reasonable price for this ?

The timer and thermostate is quoted at £97- doesn't say what make does this seem reasonable also ?

I had a brief look and found the boiler here for £724. not sure which flue pack would be needed.
"The time is always right to do what is right"

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ahll wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am still working on quotes for the replacement of an old boiler with a combi boiler.

One quote suggested using a Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW the flue will have to go out through the flat roof (there is already a hole where the current boiler flue exits the house) and a magna clean will be applied (£69 + Vat). I believe the Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW is a good boiler I am sure some one here have recommended it. I think I also read that it even comes with 5 years waranty ?

My question is does £1147 seem like a reasonable price for this ?

The timer and thermostate is quoted at £97- doesn't say what make does this seem reasonable also ?

I had a brief look and found the boiler here for £724. not sure which flue pack would be needed.

And I believe that the majority of RGI's on here will disagree with you on that. Do a forum search on Ideal and you will see.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ahll
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    And I believe that the majority of RGI's on here will disagree with you on that. Do a forum search on Ideal and you will see.

Really I am sure I read on here some where that they were ok. Ok if not Ideal what ?

I will do as suggested and search on Ideal
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Options
    I have an Ideal boiler and would not recommend it. In the first year the pump broke down and had to be replaced, the boiler then developed a leak, and even without that, it is noisy and inefficient. Added to that, I was told that Ideal boilers only have an expected life of around 5 years - that may or may not be true, but I hope not, as I can't face having to deal with an extinct boiler again so quickly.

My previous one was a worcester bosch, and given what I know now, I'd go back to that one if/when the Ideal needs replacing.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't touch ideal with a bargepole, the old icos & isar were one of the worst boilers around, the logic is better but i still wouldn't fit one.

everyone on here will have a different recommendation, so my recommendation is below, they are the only boilers i fit.

http://www.remehaheating.co.uk/
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • ahll
    edited 4 March 2012 at 7:05AM
    Options
    zzzLazyDaisy alas my budget doesn't stretch to a worcester bosch.

I have read through a few threads and the remeha has been mentioned a few times so I think this is an avenue to explore.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure on the cost to for one that would be equal to the 30kw Ideal one with flue to run through the roof recommend a timer/thermostate to use with it ?

Is a Broag Remeha Avanta Plus 30S System Boiler 90452 the same kind of thing ?
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options

No, it isn't. Are you planning on sourcing/purchasing all the materials required for your CH install?

Btw...perhaps more efficient/effective if you keep all your questions related to your CH system on one thread e.g. ;)

Canucklehead

P.S. The OH would rather pull out his fingernails with a pair of pliers than fit another Ideal.......
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    zzzLazyDaisy alas my budget doesn't stretch to a worcester bosch.

I have read through a few threads and the remeha has been mentioned a few times so I think this is an avenue to explore.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure on the cost to for one that would be equal to the 30kw Ideal one with flue to run through the roof recommend a timer/thermostate to use with it ?

no as CH said, you need the 28c, you can get a timer to fit into the front or just use a programmable room stat either wired or the RF version that runs by radio waves, fitted a salus RF one last week that the customer supplied (he bought it from ebay),

as for price labour should be the same only diff would be the boiler & flue price, vertical flues are about twice the price of a normal flue & you may need a flue extenstion depending on the roof height.

• ahll
    Options
    No, it isn't. Are you planning on sourcing/purchasing all the materials required for your CH install?

Btw...perhaps more efficient/effective if you keep all your questions related to your CH system on one thread e.g. ;)

Canucklehead

P.S. The OH would rather pull out his fingernails with a pair of pliers than fit another Ideal.......

No I am not now going to source my stuff I just wanted to check that the quote that I was inclined to go with was a resonable one for the things listed. It seems I have found the one I intend to go with now.

I have also been reading up on the Ideal Plus and while it would seem that in the past they have produced some not ever good boilers. However it would seem that over the last few years the Ideal Logic Plus Combi Boiler is doing well. I have read a number of reviews from people with them and who fit them that say they did have a little trouble at the start(2006 or 2008 cant remember) but are good now. This is also what my installer is also saying ! Yes there are some people who have had problems but that is the case with all boiler and service.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    No I am not now going to source my stuff I just wanted to check that the quote that I was inclined to go with was a resonable one for the things listed. It seems I have found the one I intend to go with now.

I have also been reading up on the Ideal Plus and while it would seem that in the past they have produced some not ever good boilers. However it would seem that over the last few years the Ideal Logic Plus Combi Boiler is doing well. I have read a number of reviews from people with them and who fit them that say they did have a little trouble at the start(2006 or 2008 cant remember) but are good now. This is also what my installer is also saying ! Yes there are some people who have had problems but that is the case with all boiler and service.

Not sure where you have been reading glowing reviews about Ideal. Start a thread on diyNOT as many experienced RGIs will share their thoughts on Ideal products and warranty support.

Good luck.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • southcoastrgi
    Options

well what a waste of time that was, everyone that has commented has told you not to fit an ideal but that is upto you, but when you post in the future asking what is wrong with my boiler & i wish i'd never had it fitted don't expect me to comment, on second thoughts i might just to say "i told you so"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure