Does this seem fair for Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW

Options

Comments

• Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    I've had a worcester bosch for over 12 years, no problems. It's not hype, just reliability. Just my opinion as a user.

And my Ideal Turbo 2 Condensing boiler is over 20 years old and has had two minor problems in that time...but like you it is only one boiler out of thousands out there.

Worcester are no more reliable than any reputable make. Of the German boilers they might even be the third most reliable. They do have the best backup though which makes up for it when they do go wrong.

I'm pleased yours has been good and long may it stay that way, but you only have experience of one. I must see two or three Worcesters most weeks, some for servicing and some for repair. I know of what I speak as regards relative quality of product.
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    If I were getting a new boiler I would get a Worcester Bosch
    Some come with up to a 7 year warrantee
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    Seronera wrote: »
    And my Ideal Turbo 2 Condensing boiler is over 20 years old and has had two minor problems in that time...but like you it is only one boiler out of thousands out there.

Worcester are no more reliable than any reputable make. Of the German boilers they might even be the third most reliable. They do have the best backup though which makes up for it when they do go wrong.

I'm pleased yours has been good and long may it stay that way, but you only have experience of one. I must see two or three Worcesters most weeks, some for servicing and some for repair. I know of what I speak as regards relative quality of product.

Do you find that older boilers are more reliable than newer ones?

You're right, one boiler is as good as the next, I've got Bosch everything in my kitchen and when the WM stopped working they were out the next day....when the guy arrived it worked fine...no fault found....still don't know what went wrong
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • diywhynot
    diywhynot Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    Boiler is only as good as the standard of the install. Seeing lots of dodgy Ideal installs out there done under ECO and predecessor, Warmfront.:eek: Bitten in the past by Ideal and will not allow another chunk out.
  • slowliving
    Options
    Just thought I'd chip in ;)

About 4 years ago I had my boiler replaced. A year later my friend had her boiler replaced. We use the same plumber. He fitted me a Worcester Bosch Eco something or other (not at the property to check), but when he fitted my friend's he fitted an Ideal Logic Plus 30 Combi. It hadn't been available / he wasn't supplying them when he fitted mine, hence why we have different boilers.

At our annual inspections, which we have done on the same day, to save the plumber too many 'quick' jobs on different days, her boiler consistently outperforms mine on efficiency etc. Mine always seems to need adjusting more than hers. She can run her hot water on a slower setting and get hot water whereas mine has to be on fast flow to 'wake the boiler up' and keep it going for hot water. And finally, she has separate settings for the radiator temperature and the hot water temp whereas I only have radiator temp that I can adjust.

I'm about to get a new boiler for another property and I'm looking into this, hence how I got to this thread ;) I'm going to be having underfloor heating (wet system), so that might affect things too - as I said, I've just started looking into this, so I've yet to discover what things to consider for ufh!
  • jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    slowliving wrote: »
    Just thought I'd chip in ;)

About 4 years ago I had my boiler replaced. A year later my friend had her boiler replaced. We use the same plumber. He fitted me a Worcester Bosch Eco something or other (not at the property to check), but when he fitted my friend's he fitted an Ideal Logic Plus 30 Combi. It hadn't been available / he wasn't supplying them when he fitted mine, hence why we have different boilers.

At our annual inspections, which we have done on the same day, to save the plumber too many 'quick' jobs on different days, her boiler consistently outperforms mine on efficiency etc. Mine always seems to need adjusting more than hers. She can run her hot water on a slower setting and get hot water whereas mine has to be on fast flow to 'wake the boiler up' and keep it going for hot water. And finally, she has separate settings for the radiator temperature and the hot water temp whereas I only have radiator temp that I can adjust.

I'm about to get a new boiler for another property and I'm looking into this, hence how I got to this thread ;) I'm going to be having underfloor heating (wet system), so that might affect things too - as I said, I've just started looking into this, so I've yet to discover what things to consider for ufh!

I have a WB. Don't need to have the hot tap on fast flow to get hot water, and I have separate controls for radiator and hot water temperatures.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gplayer wrote: »
    Hi there, here is my experience with Ideal: Fitted lots of Classics in the past and then got my fingers burnt with the Ideal Icos and Isar range. Switched to Worcester and Baxi but found that they were not brilliant either. Got tempted back 2 years ago by an Ideal rep and haven't looked back. Have installed in excess of 180 Logic boilers since. The only problems I ever had were: 1 faulty thermistor, 2 noisy pressure gauges and a few frozen condensate pipes last winter - which really wasn't Ideal's fault - have since only terminated condensate pipes inside the houses. In short, Ideal seemed to have turned the corner and talking to a few other plumbing mates they have only had good experiences with the Logic. If you get one, get a Logic Plus one with a 5 year warranty for peace of mind. Difference is minimal. Also started using Ideal's programmer kit options. Can have it on the boiler or RF versions anywhere in the house. Flueing, you want a vertical flue kit complete with a flat roof collar. £1147 seems a very good price. Does your chap flush the system and fit TRVs? Hope this is of help.

Three posts praising Ideal boilers. Hmmmm.
    Je suis sabot...
  • ct4ag
    Options
    I have an ideal isar 24 and it has been nothing but trouble. Ideally I would like to replace with a W Bosch but the flue goes through the roof and it has a rubber roof to the flat so will be awkward to replace? Can you fit a WBosch boiler with the ideal flue? If I can't and upgrade to the ideal logic + Series are tge 7yr warranty with ideal cover everything?
  • Lgas
    Lgas Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's another opinion on Ideal boilers - load of rubbish, hate the things with a passion.

Worcester Bosch every time for me. Remeha's do my head in, took me about 10 mins to understand the instructions to put it into maximum mode the other day haha (not many in my working area). Easy to work on apart from that!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My mother also had an Ideal Logic HE Combi 30 boiler installed via a Warm Front government grant and it has failed every single one of the past 4 years and now there is only warm water available!!

Great scheme, excellent installers it seemed to me, but stupid to choose a boiler with only 1 year's guarantee for the old and the poor!!

They look good and seem to be easy to repair which is just as well as hers also needs frequent repairs!!

(Apparently the one they should have installed was the Logic + with a 5 year guarantee.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure