Does this seem fair for Ideal Logic Combi Boiler 30 kW

Options

Comments

• ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 March 2012 at 1:55PM
    Options
    Been quoted £1146 for Ideal 30kw the roof flue and magna clean on part of the itemised bill (+£600 labour for fitting combi and changing 4 rads)

Does anyone know what it would be for the Remeha 28c ?
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • gplayer_2
    Options
    Hi there, here is my experience with Ideal: Fitted lots of Classics in the past and then got my fingers burnt with the Ideal Icos and Isar range. Switched to Worcester and Baxi but found that they were not brilliant either. Got tempted back 2 years ago by an Ideal rep and haven't looked back. Have installed in excess of 180 Logic boilers since. The only problems I ever had were: 1 faulty thermistor, 2 noisy pressure gauges and a few frozen condensate pipes last winter - which really wasn't Ideal's fault - have since only terminated condensate pipes inside the houses. In short, Ideal seemed to have turned the corner and talking to a few other plumbing mates they have only had good experiences with the Logic. If you get one, get a Logic Plus one with a 5 year warranty for peace of mind. Difference is minimal. Also started using Ideal's programmer kit options. Can have it on the boiler or RF versions anywhere in the house. Flueing, you want a vertical flue kit complete with a flat roof collar. £1147 seems a very good price. Does your chap flush the system and fit TRVs? Hope this is of help.
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2012 at 9:17PM
    Options
    gplayer wrote: »
    Hi there, here is my experience with Ideal: Fitted lots of Classics in the past and then got my fingers burnt with the Ideal Icos and Isar range. Switched to Worcester and Baxi but found that they were not brilliant either. Got tempted back 2 years ago by an Ideal rep and haven't looked back. Have installed in excess of 180 Logic boilers since. The only problems I ever had were: 1 faulty thermistor, 2 noisy pressure gauges and a few frozen condensate pipes last winter - which really wasn't Ideal's fault - have since only terminated condensate pipes inside the houses. In short, Ideal seemed to have turned the corner and talking to a few other plumbing mates they have only had good experiences with the Logic. If you get one, get a Logic Plus one with a 5 year warranty for peace of mind. Difference is minimal. Also started using Ideal's programmer kit options. Can have it on the boiler or RF versions anywhere in the house. Flueing, you want a vertical flue kit complete with a flat roof collar. £1147 seems a very good price. Does your chap flush the system and fit TRVs? Hope this is of help.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes is is due to flush/descale the system and add TRVs on the new rads. The flue will go through a low roof where the existing one does so the wholes is already there. The total for this plus labour(£600) and magna fitting is around £2280 does that seem good ?

We have said we didnt want the timer on the boiler but in the hallway...he has itemized £98 for theromstate n programmer but didnt say make or one to be used.
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    ahll wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes is is due to flush/descale the system and add TRVs on the new rads. The flue will go through a low roof where the existing one does so the wholes is already there. The total for this plus labour(£600) and magna fitting is around £2280 does that seem good ?

We have said we didnt want the timer on the boiler but in the hallway...he has itemized £98 for theromstate n programmer but didnt say make or one to be used.

Post your full written specification for further comment....details seem very sketchy tbh. You do have this, I assume? Suggest you look here to see what a quote should include.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • deepthought100
    Options
    Bought a new Ideal 30kW boiler just over 4 years ago for a property with a tenant. Circuit board went after 2.5 years - plumber tells me it is a COMMON fault with this boiler. Cost £200 to replace. Gas valve has now failed and this will be nearly £300 to fix. This is close to the cost of the original within 5 years. I wrote to ideal suggesting that they contribute and their reply amounted to "hard luck, we don't care - take out an insurance". Have just bought another property with an ideal HE30 boiler fitted. During the landlord safety check I was told that this has had a new circuit board fitted as well. How much longer before more expense?

My advice - pay the extra and get a good make where the manufacturer offers a warranty longer than 1 year. (The Baxi in my own house has a 5 year warranty).
  • 877cms
    877cms Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the logic had 2yrs warranty, and the logic plus was 5yrs?
  • Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bought a new Ideal 30kW boiler just over 4 years ago for a property with a tenant. Circuit board went after 2.5 years - plumber tells me it is a COMMON fault with this boiler. Cost £200 to replace. Gas valve has now failed and this will be nearly £300 to fix. This is close to the cost of the original within 5 years. I wrote to ideal suggesting that they contribute and their reply amounted to "hard luck, we don't care - take out an insurance". Have just bought another property with an ideal HE30 boiler fitted. During the landlord safety check I was told that this has had a new circuit board fitted as well. How much longer before more expense?

My advice - pay the extra and get a good make where the manufacturer offers a warranty longer than 1 year. (The Baxi in my own house has a 5 year warranty).

If your troublesome Ideal boilers are from the Icos/Isar/Istore range then it is true that they are troublesome and badly designed, and indeed one should avoid any Ideal model that uses the same heat exhanger and PCB setup...... BUT.....the Ideal Logic is a completely new design and has righted all the wrongs. Its been around for over four years now and is proving very reliable and I would choose one over the overcomplicated and difficult to work on Worcester Bosch models any day of the week. As others have said get the Logic Plus model with a five year warranty. Where faults have developed on Logics there is usually next day service provided under warranty. I have a Logic to install in my own house..to replace my 20 year old Ideal Turbo 2 condensing boiler which has had two faults in 20 years.

Avoiding Ideal is very much yesterday's advice. I have no connection with them by the way. I'm just a humble RGI who repairs gas boilers.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Don't get an Ideal boiler - my grandparents had one fitted for free under warmhome benefit. It needed one repair under warranty, a £300 repair just outside of warranty, then died again another year later at Christmas. Rather than waste any more money on it they had a Worcester fitted to replace it, and three years later (still well within the seven year warranty) it hasn't missed a beat.
  • Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    Don't get an Ideal boiler - my grandparents had one fitted for free under warmhome benefit. It needed one repair under warranty, a £300 repair just outside of warranty, then died again another year later at Christmas. Rather than waste any more money on it they had a Worcester fitted to replace it, and three years later (still well within the seven year warranty) it hasn't missed a beat.

Yes..but as people keep trying to tell you its depends WHICH Ideal boiler they had. If it was an Isar, then fair enough, but you do not sound like a professional and therefore cannot be expected to know that the new Logic range is vastly improved.....except that we keep telling you. I am a professional boiler repair man and I can tell you I do as many repairs to Worcester boilers as any. Their plastic hydroblocks split, the heat exchangers on the Juniors fail, their diverters fail and gas valves on the CDi's can fail passing gas when they should be off, and they certainly drift off tune really quite quickly and so if not serviced and adjusted every year the CO2 settings can be all over the place. They are often very difficult to work on with some components deliberately put in difficult locations, like the pressure relief valves right at the back making what should be a simple replacement a major dismantling job.

Worcesters are OK but I don't go with the hype that seems to surround them as I see their other side.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've had a worcester bosch for over 12 years, no problems. It's not hype, just reliability. Just my opinion as a user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure