Avios Points Boosting guide discussion

Options

Comments

• jillyb
    jillyb Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    This has maybe been asked before, so apologies if so, but wondering where is the best place to have Avios, if there are any advantages/disadvantages between keeping in Avios or BA Executive Avios. I have a lot in Avios and less in BA, and want to consolidate into just the one to keep things simple. Just wondering which way to transfer them !
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    jillyb wrote: »
    This has maybe been asked before, so apologies if so, but wondering where is the best place to have Avios, if there are any advantages/disadvantages between keeping in Avios or BA Executive Avios. I have a lot in Avios and less in BA, and want to consolidate into just the one to keep things simple. Just wondering which way to transfer them !

Avios.com has more non-flight options to spend them on.

I prefer BAEC Avios for flight and hotel redemptions.

keep both accounts open as transfers are usually instant so you can pick and choose.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 6 January 2016 at 8:21PM
    Options
    jillyb wrote: »

It really depends how much of an Avios "tart" you are. ;) If you want to consolidate, to keep things simple, I guess that there is no real benefit from either, since you can transfer between them anyway.

Personally, I'd also open an Iberia account (free), as you can easily pick up, at least, 50-100 Avios, on regular site promotions and you can then easily transfer these to your Avios or BA Avios accounts. :)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    It really depends how much of an Avios "tart" you are. ;) If you want to consolidate, to keep things simple, I guess that there is no real benefit from either, since you can transfer between them anyway.

Personally, I'd also open an Iberia account (free), as you can easily pick up, at least, 50-100 Avios, on regular promotions. :)

Iberia redemptions often have very low taxes too.

So paying for a flight to Madrid and then redeeming via the Iberia site can save £hundreds.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    There's honestly no need to choose. Have all three, you can transfer between them easily and it takes less than a minute. I keep mine in BA purely because I like the app best.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • gold_dollar_boy
    Options
    In around June, I should have both the Companion ticket and the flight upgrade. From the Lloyds premier avios card, Can I use them together?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    In around June, I should have both the Companion ticket and the flight upgrade. From the Lloyds premier avios card, Can I use them together?

I doubt it. But I'd suggest posting on the ba section of flyer talk to make sure.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    This has been asked before on headforpoints (a great little website!) and unfortunately you can't.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Hackers76
    Hackers76 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Good afternoon all

My wife and I are going to Vegas and San Diego in September and are on WT+ with BA. We are looking at using our Avios points (currently 34k worth) to upgrade the return from San Diego to Club World. Do you know if there is a set time before the flight that the upgrades are made available or is it purely down to availability? I suspect the latter but if it was a set time (say 1 month before flight) I can start watching my emails are a bit closer : )

Thanks in advance
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 8 June 2016 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Hackers76 wrote: »
    Good afternoon all

My wife and I are going to Vegas and San Diego in September and are on WT+ with BA. We are looking at using our Avios points (currently 34k worth) to upgrade the return from San Diego to Club World. Do you know if there is a set time before the flight that the upgrades are made available or is it purely down to availability? I suspect the latter but if it was a set time (say 1 month before flight) I can start watching my emails are a bit closer : )

Thanks in advance

In my experience there is no set time, but, having said that, more often than not I've found it to be about 30 days prior to the flight. Some though have cropped up just a few days before, but, of course there is no guarantee, which I appreciate you already know.

Good luck! :)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure