Avios Points Boosting guide discussion

Options

Comments

• callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dmet wrote: »
    Fair point, didn't read that. Still trumpeting the fact they are giving you a benefit but playing down the penalty. Headlines always point out the positive.

Maybe upping the number in club but for business and first will cost more points so it could mean people will be less likely to use them as it will now take longer to accumulate. The flights I am taking would have meant an increase of 18% off peak or 40% for peak. Quite a big difference, especially if it takes time to accumulate like ayayay said. I don't see any savings of 40%-50% to offset the increase.

What headlines? I've seen no BA headlines attempting to spin this as a positive change, nor have I seen any information from them that makes the good changes any more prominent than the bad.

I always thought business redemptions were remarkably cheap anyway. Business class costs a hell of a lot more than double the economy price. Of course there isn't - giving savings of 50% to "offset the increase" defeats the entire purpose of an increase in the first place!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dmet wrote: »
    Maybe upping the number in club but for business and first will cost more points so it could mean people will be less likely to use them as it will now take longer to accumulate.

It could but I highly doubt it.
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    A good summary/analysis of the changes at Head For Points today:

http://www.headforpoints.com/

Some interesting and useful further analysis & tips today as well. :) Same link.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • davidpeter
    Options
    While the BA blurb says that you can combine Avois points in whatever scheme you wish, the system inexplicity does not allow you to move Avios from Iberia to BA
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    davidpeter wrote: »
    While the BA blurb says that you can combine Avois points in whatever scheme you wish, the system inexplicity does not allow you to move Avios from Iberia to BA

I had the same problem. I had 300 Avios sitting in my IberiaPlus account. Tried several times to move them to my BA account. Never able to. They have expired now.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strange. I transferred some IB Avios to BA Avios earlier this week. The transfer was immediate.

I was logged in to my BA EC account and used the 'Combine my Avios' link in Manage my Booking.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2015 at 3:15PM
    Options
    I get the message:
    You can only move Avios from British Airways to Iberia Plus - you cannot move your Avios back again.

Same message looking on BAEC and Iberia.

Household accounts in play.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1651766-you-can-only-move-avios-ba-ib-you-cannot-move-your-avios-back-again.html
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Household accounts in play.
    Looks like you've solved the problems of a couple of posters. :)

So, transfer from IB Avios to avios.com Avios, then from avios.com avios to BA EC Avios if necessary.
  • deanduck2
    Options
    It now costs 24,000 Avios EACH WAY to upgrade that London-NY Premium Economy flight to Business. It was 10,000 each way before they changed the scheme! Complete rip-off, how they are able to do this I will never understand.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    deanduck2 wrote: »
    It now costs 24,000 Avios EACH WAY to upgrade that London-NY Premium Economy flight to Business. It was 10,000 each way before they changed the scheme! Complete rip-off, how they are able to do this I will never understand.

£240 worth of avios to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class is a "complete rip off"?

They are able to do it because they have more people paying cash for those business class seats now so don't need to sell it off cheap to frequent flier members.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure