To hang 5 interior doors!!

Options

Comments

• pinkwitch_2
    Options
    Thanks again everyone,

We are now having the doors done for £140 but got to wait until 3rd April, but thats OK.

It just goes to show that you have to shop around for your quotes. I contacted the original builder and informed him I couldnt accept his quote of £240 because I had accepted another quote of a local carpenter. He was fine with this and understood, he even offered to come around next week on his own (therefore not paying for 2 builders!!) and do the job himself for the same price!! (£140). But I am sticking with the carpenter because I feel thats only fair.

Thanks again all for your advice.
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to hear you are saving £100!
  • jameshunt
    Options
    Nice to hear that you contacted the other one to let him know as well. Far to many people just don't respond if they think your quote is too high.
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    Glad to hear that you are getting them done, although £48 per door is about right (£40 plus VAT) - we charge £40 per door - it is not just a case of drawing round a door as one person put it above it is a skilled job and needs to be done properly otherwise you might as well do it yourself.

Be careful - dont forget you get what you pay for...
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    15 pound a door.Thats 90 by my reckoning.Thats all a joiner should expect a day
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    robby-01 wrote:
    15 pound a door.Thats 90 by my reckoning.Thats all a joiner should expect a day

If my husband worked for £90 a day I would be able to join the bankruptcy forum...

And I take it that you are a City and Guilds qualified joiner Robby? and happy to spend years training to get £7.50 an hour???
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    If my husband worked for £90 a day I would be able to join the bankruptcy forum...

And I take it that you are a City and Guilds qualified joiner Robby? and happy to spend years training to get £7.50 an hour???
    Joiner me .I'd rather empty the bins.
    Anyway you hardly need to be city and guilds qualified to hang a few doors.
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    robby-01 wrote:
    Joiner me .I'd rather empty the bins.
    Anyway you hardly need to be city and guilds qualified to hang a few doors.

No you dont - you could just use the old ones as a template..

Actually the people who charge 15 quid a door get us quite a lot of work - we go round re-hanging them (properly)
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    Actually the people who charge 15 quid a door get us quite a lot of work..

.. we go round re-hanging them (properly)
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I somehow doubt you even have the intelligence level to empty the bins Robby, let alone have enough skills to hang a door properly.

!!!!!! !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport