To hang 5 interior doors!!

Options
Hi All,

I have just been qouted £240(inc vat) from proffesional builders to hang 5 interior doors upstairs. This is a labour charge only as I am supplying all the materials.

They would have to remove old doors, cut the new doors to size, put on handles and hinges and latches and fit.

2 builders would do the job. They say all done in 1 day.

The doors are 6 panel wooden doors.

Is this quote fair?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Comments

• alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    I bit more than we have paid, may be worth getting another couple of quotes.
  • aussielle
    Options
    I paid £100 for 3 internal doors to be fitted a few weeks ago, I supplied all materials
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    I was quoted approx £50 -£60 per door, and I was supplying all the door furniture also,am still getting other quotes.
  • covbaldy
    covbaldy Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    My friends a chippie, and I would say he would charge more than around £140 (day rate) especially if you were doing all the other work before hand.

Have you any good local chippies you could call?

HTH
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    One skilled tradesman could fit five doors in a day. This is if they were standard pre-formed eggbox type modern doors as found in your average new house.

If you are fitting solid hardwood interor doors I guess three doors a day since more care and skill would be needed and any mistake would be expensive.

£240 is too much, pay no more than £150.

Its worth remembering that if there are already doors fitted and they are just being replaced then the tradesman would use the old door as a template for the new door. He would place the old door on the new one, measure and mark the new door then cut/plane/router the new one to almost the exact size of the old one. This massively reduces the time taken, hence one skilled man, five doors, no problem.

I've replaced all the doors in my last three homes (with help from my father I admit) having the right tools makes the job easy if you fancy DIY, I'll give you some tips.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mjr600 wrote:

Its worth remembering that if there are already doors fitted and they are just being replaced then the tradesman would use the old door as a template for the new door. He would place the old door on the new one, measure and mark the new door then cut/plane/router the new one to almost the exact size of the old one. This massively reduces the time taken, hence one skilled man, five doors, no problem.

What an absolute load of rubbish, a carpenter would NOT use an old door as a template.
  • bomberman2
    Options
    £130-£170 Would be fair depending where you are, you could remove the old doors for them and supply plenty of tea......I had to hang 8 doors in two days, the idiots shaved the corners of the door frames off which made it more of a nightmare.....plus the hall and landing was tiny and you couldnt swing a cat in it.....

B2
  • Fizog
    Fizog Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a 1910 build and not one of my doors is straightforward to hang. Door frames are all imperial measurements and new doors are metric. Endless shaving and fitting goes on to ensure they are flush. So it would depend on A) where you live in the country for costs ( I live in London ) B) age of house. But always get more than one quote unless the carpenter/builder etc comes very well recommended from a very good friend.
  • pinkwitch_2
    Options
    Thankyou for all your replies!

We will get more quotes .

Our house is 30 years old and we are in somerset.
    The only problem we can see is that our bedroom door frame is on a bit of an angle,but they did the quote without looking anyway.
  • johnlincoln
    Options
    i have recently been quoted £25 per door, and that included getting rid of two sliding doors and replacing with normal doors. however it doesnt include to doors themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure