Cheap Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    My insurance is normally renewed at the end of February, but this year my daughter (who has passed her test) will graduate, and one option is for her to share my car rather than clogging up the road with dozens of cars like everyone else round my area does. Her birthday is in August.

I now see two options, but can't find any evidence of being able to do either, so I'm looking for somebody who has experience (rather than speculating) of anything similar.

Option 1 - to obtain insurance for 6 months, thus being able to start a new policy at the end of August with her as a named driver on my policy.

Option 2 - to add her part way through the year after her birthday and pay a pro rata extra cost (providing there is no huge administration fee)

Option 1 is preferable.

Any takers?

Option 2 will be cheaper overall. (The cost of cancelling after 6 months won't be cheap). The main issue is whether or not your current insurer is prepared to cover a novice. So find out their policy on covering novices before doing anything.
  • Peter_Lanky
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Option 2 will be cheaper overall. (The cost of cancelling after 6 months won't be cheap). The main issue is whether or not your current insurer is prepared to cover a novice. So find out their policy on covering novices before doing anything.
    I already know that my current insurer won't insure anyone under 30, but it is easily the best policy (price wise) as things stand at the moment. Hence my desire to sort this out before renewal, so that if it turns out to be impossible, then I'll carry on as normal and she'll have to sort out her own car and add to the 10,000 vehicles already parked here, and that's just next door :(
    What is happening to the English Language? These are not isolated, but repeated every day.
    'Definate', 'Aswell', 'Rediculous', 'Payed'...and the best of all 'Could Of'. How can anyone think that 'Could Of' can actually mean anything. You may as well write 'Could Zebra' for all the sense it makes.
  • slcrisp
    Options
    My son is visiting from Canada. Aviva will put him on my policy as a named driver and charge me £183 for the remaining 6 months of the policy. He is only here for 6 weeks. I asked how much I could expect to receive in return premium when I cancelled but they say that they cannot give me that figure (not even a ballpark figure). Does anybody have any experience in this? Would appreciate help. They also quoted me £60 for a month of coverage so don't know which way to go.
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    using same policy details with a lower excess fee reduced my car insurance by £200 today

on any new policy make sure you tick the--protect no claims bonus box

admiral would only go £40 lower
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • mrarnul
    Options
    I'm 30, employed, no points on my license, no convictions, drive less than 5000 miles a year, and have 7 years no claims.

I've been with Direct Line for most of my driving life. I got my renewal, it was a hefty £640.
    So I did the MSE thing, various comparison sites, played with excess, job titles, etc. Managed to get a quote £200 cheaper. All good.

Then I added my parents and it dropped to £418. Super! Direct Line refused to match and actually increased my quote when I asked about adding my parents.

The next day I went back to retrieve and buy but it had shot up to £480 for no reason! And when I looked into it further, the cheapest quotes are from Admiral, Diamond and Elephant, who are all run under the same umbrella and all have atrocious reviews. The next best quote is my renewal price.

So are Admiral really that bad? Is it worth paying the extra £200 for a better run company? Seems like a massive gulf.

And a final kick in the teeth, I tried using my parents address in Hereford rather than my Manchester address, and it dropped to £170. Is it any wonder there are so many uninsured drivers out there?
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    mrarnal

I find this the best by far comparison site for car insurance

http://www.confused.com/campaign/affiliates/car-insurance-10?mediacode=171
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • black_taxi_2
    Options
    Best to be truthful because if your not your quote will rocket when they find out
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • Allisdiar1
    Options
    Every year, there are updations in the insurance policies and many people don't know about the proper updates. I think the best option is to keep the policies that you add to the forum updated timely. That will definitely be helpful to many users.
  • Lola888
    Lola888 Posts: 975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just thought I'd say we are buying a new 2nd car. I already have a car insured through Aviva, I have protected NCD, a licence for over 13 yrs and being a police officer my insurance was £450.

My husband doesn't have any NCD, only driven for 4 yrs, he is over 30 though, but has had 3 claims in the last 5 years (not all at fault, but he was on motability and they tend to just pay out rather than argue. It wasn't a problem until they withdrew the DLA benefit and we had to get our own car and insurance!)

Anyway we were looking at getting a 2nd car, but as mine was smaller I'd be the driver for the bigger vehicle and he would be the driver of the smaller. Online quotes were coming in at around £1.5k for him for a Ford Focus, cheapest I could find was £950 with me in the policy as a named driver. I rang Aviva and they quoted £910, but then we changed what car we wanted so I rang again and the advisor was very helpful, he chatted with the underwriters and they "mirrored" some of my protected NCD over to the 2nd vehicle. He would start getting his own NCD and if he renewed twice would have the equivalent of full NCD. They also gave a price of under £400 even though it was a bigger car!!!

I was bewildered that the first advisor didn't know to/couldn't be arsed to explore all avenues? Anyway just thought I'd share my experiences as a saving of £500 is nothing to be sniffed at
    Got married 13/11/10 :)
    DD1 born 25/03/12 :D
    DD2 born 28/11/13 :D
  • annieb_101
    Options
    hi :) just wondering how claims on your insurance affect the policy years after? i've had an accident but unsure whether to claim on the insurance (and pay £200 excess) or whether to pay for the £700 damage. if there's another thread for this then please would someone be able to point me towards it? :) xxx
    :j i'm a student AND good with my money :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport