Cheap Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    A change of address can result in a charge whoever you insure with - as your address is material to your risk, and different areas have different risk ratings.

On the other hand, you could end up with a premium reduction if you move to a lower risk area.

Separate to this, most insurers charge an admin fee for making mid term changes.

(Not a recommendation): Aviva and Swiftcover are 2 that don't charge an admin fee if you notify them online.
  • intelligent000
    Options
    Dear readers,

If you are thinking of buying Ecar Insurance (because this shows on the top of the search page) and cancelling it in cooling off period you will get ripped by their hidden charges. They say they charge £25 if you cancel within 14 days but if you do so you will be charged around £100 and all they give you is hidden charges what they never tell before buying.
    Please be aware and think before buying from Ecar Insurance.

Thanks
  • Labman20
    Labman20 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but I couldn't find anything else obvious.

Just renewed my bike insurance using the usual MSE tricks. Hastings Direct consistently came out cheapest, although excess was high. I was about to press buy having checked all the details and put my card number in and noticed the premium had jumped by about £21. I noticed in the quotes on Money Supermarket and compare the meerkat etc. they do not include insurance premium tax and only add this right at the very end. So it looks like they are cheapest when in fact they're not. I went with Bennetts in the end, £15 cheaper than Hastings REAL price and a much lower excess :)
  • Free_Will
    Options
    I put all my details in to topcashback insurance search and the price quoted by several companies was higher than that I found using moneysupermarket... indeed, it was cheaper to buy through moneysupermarket for me than through topcashback, even wit the cashback (which isn't guarnateed anyway).
  • fozzeh
    fozzeh Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The amount of ruddy e-mails you get now-a-days annoying?

No! This one was an utter success. Throughout January I must get 30 odd reminders about it! But the ones from the websites are adverts…the one you get from MSE is the best as it offers advice.

Insurance time for me was 2 weeks ago. 4 years no claims on this car ((transferred previously from a 9 years NCD on the other) which should have been 6 (after someone decided to hit me last Nov 2011 and ended up going to court because they claimed I hit them…judge ruled 50/50 based on a pack of lies, a convincing fraudster and it being late Friday afternoon (chippy tea!))) previously with Tesco. Anyway, due to the open claim, last year was £850 with two other no faults on there.

This year’s renewal quote from Tesco: £970! Hold on…didn’t a new EU Directive come in in December, one more years no claims and closer to 30?!?!

So I did my first comparison (MSup) which was poor so went onto the fat Italian next (GoC). I say ALWAYS do a fresh quote…that way, you will always input the right data (use the old one as a helper if you need certain dates).

Lowest one; £550! That’s £420 straight away! Change my wife’s job status/title; £520...and all within the rules! Very happy, I walk away and get a drink.

Then…you remember those pesky little meerkats?!?! Enter fresh quote…

And £450 for a full package (inc. legal cover, hire, etc). And a free toy. And a cheeky Quidco (did a dummy buy via Quidco, did the referral via CTM to get the toy, cookies registered both) of £25. So £425! Why the drop? Easy to see; eSure (who I have been with before) look at incidents within the last 3 years…the ones on GoC was 5 which knocked off one from 2009! Excess is low too (£150 I think).

So there you have it. Another success from the e-mail you get every week reminding you and giving you good advice. The same thing at 43% of the cost my current insurers offered!

And a present from Meerkovo on the way!

:T
  • Taichi_Bob
    Options
    Hi everyone, Warning to anyone getting a quote from Quote Zone. This website will NOT allow you to change a password. Therefore if you suffer any virus attack your details could be obtained at leisure by them. They will always have and know your password. Dreadful.
  • galanins
    Options
    Can any one tell me, can i get auto insurance with just a learner's permit?
  • galanins
    Options
    No body can help me?
  • T1Cybernetic
    Options
    Yes, You can get insured with just a provisional ;)
    Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)
  • galanins
    Options
    Yes, You can get insured with just a provisional ;)
    May i know you opinion about this site? insureyes.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport