Cheap Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• barneystuta
    Options
    My renewal has come through. £86 per month, reduced from the £116 I am paying at the moment.

Not bad...

But it is with Hastings Direct. On Comparison sites, this exact same quote is just £62 a month.

Can I opt out of auto renew and buy as a new customer? Even if it is the same insurer?

Thankd
  • pink_boots
    pink_boots Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    that happened to me last year with my insurer. When i got my quote, I waited a week and contacted them and asked them if they could do better and got £30 off so I accepted. Then I had just got the internet and checked them online and it was a damn site better. I again phoned them about this and they gave me the online quote. So it is worth a phone call. I am not sure if you are still in the cooling off period. If you are you might be able to cancel and sign up forthe online quote. BTW I am with RIAS. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ....Can I opt out of auto renew and buy as a new customer? Even if it is the same insurer?

Yes .
  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im currently unemployed, but hoping to be back in work in a few weeks (nothing certain).
    I started by putting my usual Computer role, and got some prices.
    Realised this is not right, so changed it to 'unemployed'.
    Wham ! Prices have shot up, some by over 50%
    Whay am I a liability if unemployed.
    Im over 50 , no point son my licence, no claims for over 15 years.
    Hardly going to be spending my time off racing round am I.

Im then going to have to call them and probably get charged £20 to change my status, then haggle to get any money back for a cheaper policy.

Anybody know any sites that still offer a good price for unemployed ?
  • fewleh
    fewleh Posts: 15 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Does anyone know about city insurance? I got a decent quote from them.. but not finding much about them on Google. I'd like to go ahead, but hoping others have had some experience of them... here was the link for porsches

http://www.cityinsurance.co.uk/porsche_insurance.php
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fewleh wrote: »
    Does anyone know about city insurance? I got a decent quote from them.. but not finding much about them on Google. I'd like to go ahead, but hoping others have had some experience of them... here was the link for porsches

http://www.cityinsurance.co.uk/porsche_insurance.php

They're a broker so it would mainly depend on which Insurer they've quoted you with
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like a couple of other posters here, I have also found that the premium is higher when you get a quote through a cashback site in comparison with using comparison sites. This means that if the cashback is successfully paid, I would only be £10 better off. If it fails, I will end up paying £25 more than if I go through the comparison site. So, you can no longer assume that cashback is a good thing.
    koru
  • barneystuta
    Options
    My renewal has come through. £86 per month, reduced from the £116 I am paying at the moment.

Not bad...

But it is with Hastings Direct. On Comparison sites, this exact same quote is just £62 a month.

Can I opt out of auto renew and buy as a new customer? Even if it is the same insurer?

Thankd

In the end, I spoke to Hastings, and challenged them on the Price Comparison site price.

They agreed to honour it, and actually did it £1 a month cheaper, plus I didn't have to pay a "Deposit".

So all in all, a nice saving!
  • Tanandher4boys
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a company for comprehensive cover in Europe. Last year I had to pay 2 x £45 to top up cover when travelling on holiday to France and Netherlands :(

It makes me wonder if European Comprehensive cover may be cheaper? Any suggestions please.
  • daveparker
    daveparker Posts: 39 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi there,

I've just done a comparison search on www.quantumcars.co.uk for my car insurance renewal and got a cheapest quote of £454 which is about £100 better than my renewal offer. However I noticed that the site still had my old address (which is 0.5 miles away) - when I changed to the correct address the best quote was for £630, and the company that had quoted £454 went up to £1006! As a check I rang the company and they said it is completely up to the underwriters and there was nothing they could do about it as the post code is different (the first 4 characters are the same but the last two are different).

As a second experiment I tried using the post code of the house directly across the road from me and the cheapest quote came in at £511.

I've got an excellent credit history and have checked my report recently online which is fine so I think it can only be due to the postcode of my property. Does anyone know if there is anyway to get these things reassessed?

Yours confused...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport