Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous

Options

Comments

• Zoe.
    Zoe. Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I had a nail polish obsession, having around 20-30 bottles, so this thread has made me feel a lot better. :D
    Though I can't afford expensive polishes, so I have a mix of Barry M, Rimmel, No7 etc
    I've been trying to get my nails in better condition, so have just painted them in Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in Love in Bloom. I had it already so saved me buying a clear strengthening polish, and it has colour so I wont be as tempted to paint my nails. :p
    Going to get some acetone-free nail polish remover so I can paint my nails more without damaging them.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sawan82 wrote: »
    This group is inspired by those of us who can't resist buying nail polish. Whether it's the latest collection from OPI or Nails Inc., or tempting special offers that have you hooked, this is the place for you.

This is where you can share your opinions of brands, colours, fashions, any tips and nail art ideas. If you know of cheaper equivalents to higher end brands, please do share! Pictures are also welcome :)

Thank you to the ladies from the 'No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries' threads for suggesting and setting this up :)

Let's enjoy using our nail polishes, and hopefully saving money by not buying dupes of ones we already have!

Hear hear on the not buying dupes ethic but I seriously could not give up nail polish!
    FannyAdams wrote: »
    Great idea! I'm in!

Thanks for starting the thread Sawan!

I have a little idea, I'm going to find my minis, mini opi's and nails incs and start using them up. I wonder how many manicures you actually get out of those little bottles?

OPI reps say that they hold 15 manicures although depends on the length of your nails.
    I'm not allowed to buy any more nail polishes. DD won't hear of it.

Thing is, my nails are really short because I need them that way for playing bass, and nobody sees my feet other than me.

What I do recommend, though, is Barry M and Stargazer polishes. Both are fabulous quality, great colours, cheap and durable. Better than Leighton Denny and OPI, IMO. The Leighton Denny stuff all seemed to be blueish/green tinged, even the neutrals, and the darker colours were quite gloopy and prone to peeling off. I do like their glass files, though.

Love La Seche ridge filler and Nail Envy as base layers, but haven't found 'the' top coat yet.

I like Leighton Denny lacquers as each one I own (admittedly with the exception of Steel Appeal) gives a great glossy finish although depending on how thickly I apply it the lacquer can lift off my nail.

I have recommendation for top coat: Essie To Dry For.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    Options
    Amanita wrote: »
    What a great idea! I'll admit to far too many nail polishes many of which are far too similar.

Since they discontinued my favourite ( Ciate Paparazzi if anyone sees any!!) I've been trying to find a replacement and I must have bought half a dozen or so in the last month. None are as nice :( . I'm down to my last half bottle and getting desperate!

Have had a nosey at this. It looks similar to Vamp by Leighton Denny. Have you tried this one? Someone over on the No Buying thread said they picked up a bottle of Vamp with Red mag. Could be a cheap alternative for you if you can get hold of a copy.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    VALM wrote: »
    Have had a nosey at this. It looks similar to Vamp by Leighton Denny. Have you tried this one? Someone over on the No Buying thread said they picked up a bottle of Vamp with Red mag. Could be a cheap alternative for you if you can get hold of a copy.

Did they now! Thank you x100 for the heads up! Haven't got that one so I'll go on the hunt :D

I generally get at least a week out of my polish. It does help that I don't do a lot of housework :eek:
  • VALM
    Options
    Ahhhhhh, bliss ............................... people who understand me.

Its my addiction, I always suggest America for our hols (again!!) as I love stocking up on OPI over there.

Im currently and gotta say in love with the colour Im wearing at the mo, Opi Fozzie Bear from the mppets collection, I keep glancing at my hands to admire! Didnt like the rainbow connection - complete let down.

My ultimate prize possession and wouldn't be without nail product is Seche Vite quick dry, my nails are dry within 30 seconds of applying it - its a miricle in a bottle.

Agree with you re: Rainbow Connection and I tried so hard to get a bottle. I'm still kicking myself for not buying full size of Mad as a Hatter which I was hoping RC would be similar to but alas no.
    Currently wearing OPI Nicky Minaj Metcallic4Life, which is a lovely black with heaps of glitter, so I'll be getting the foil out at the weekend to get it all off.

Is this anything like Mad as Hatter?
    I'm wearing OPI Blue My Mind at the moment...might bling it up later...

6836865229_6085c41831_m.jpg

Gorgeous colour starrystarry. I actually don't own any blues. I used to have OPI Play Til Midnight but it was not glossy enough.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    Options
    some nice photos of nails, pretty ! Fanny Adams , you say you get 24 hours out of your polished nails . Me too + it puts me off wearing my polishes , I have quite a lot to use . I've got OPI, Leighton Denny , No 7 + cheaper ones . Even with the expensive ones , they still chip easily + I do base + top coats too . Is it bad for nails to keep taking polish off + re applying every other day ? How long does everyone else get before nail polish chips etc ?
    Amanita wrote: »
    Did they now! Thank you x100 for the heads up! Haven't got that one so I'll go on the hunt :D

I generally get at least a week out of my polish. It does help that I don't do a lot of housework :eek:

I only get a couple of days out of my lacquer as well using Nail envy base and Essie to dry for top coat. I try not to do much housework and have got out of washing up!!

On my fingers I'm wearing Leighton Denny All About Me - a barbie pink which someone at work complimented me on today and on my toes OPI Mrs O'Leary's Barbeque.

I will fess up now. It's my birthday next week and we are going to Trafford Centre on Saturday night for a meal. I may have to wander into John Lewis and see if the new OPI Holland collection is in.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • FannyAdams_2
    Options
    My favourite brands are

OPi
    Nails Inc
    Leighton Denny

I'm not keen on China Glaze or Essie, mine seem thick and gloopy but then I do only have pastel type shades in those brands.

I'm lusting after A England but resisting so far!
  • xoxo_2
    xoxo_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone brave enough to post a stash list/pic for us all to drool over? :D

Loving the nails pics it's good to see what a colour looks like out of the bottle :D
    :j
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2012 at 10:18PM
    Options
    MUA are launching a new range of colours tomorrow based on Love Heart sweets. £2 each. I promised myself I wouldnt buy but...

I have the full range of the Muppet OPI. (my SIL got them free from a PR company friend) and I find the glitter ones a nightmare to remove esp. Rainbow connection. I love the Animalistic one from that range the best.
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 February 2012 at 11:41PM
    Options
    6837601987_20862aba26_m.jpg
    VALM wrote: »
    Agree with you re: Rainbow Connection and I tried so hard to get a bottle. I'm still kicking myself for not buying full size of Mad as a Hatter which I was hoping RC would be similar to but alas no.

Is this anything like Mad as Hatter?

6837597325_9b0ee693d3_m.jpg.

lightboxDon't if this'll work as I'm using my phone, but I uploaded the pic to my Flickr. Not as glittery as Mad as a Hatter but I do have a couple that are like that - I'd have to grunge around in my box to look.

If you do have glitter varnishes that are quite translucent like Frog of Bel Air (Kermit/OPI muppets), I find using a dark base layer really helps them sparkle
    6838033943_ee3858819b_m.jpg My muppet nails with a dark red undercoat
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback