Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Grocery Challenge - February 2012 - Page 161

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 7:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.8K views

Replies

• skillyskilly Forumite
    902 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all, well went to local market yesterday and town and spent spent &spent so I am well truly over budget now !! Not had a good shop like that since before Xmas ,well i could blame my oh as he did not help at all !!!!! So I will have to start again in march . Been doing this gc for about two years never be out and brown budget like that . Bad girl I am I will go and stand in the corner now ;-)
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
  • Morning All!

Right - 23rd is the start of my financial month as it's payday:j

I'm aiming for £220 to last me until the 22nd March, to cover all food, household stuff, toiletries etc for me and DH. Last month was my wake-up call when I spent over £300 and there's only 2 of us!:eek:
    £220 still seems like a lot to me, but I'm starting off carefully and not setting a really strict budget to start with until I get the hang of this challenge. I'm also hoping to start stocking up a bit more when I see a good deal - something I'd never even thought about doing before!

Anything leftover from the GC at the end of the month is going towards a new bathroom :)
    In addition to this, I'm allowing myself £20 pocket money each Friday and anything left is going into a sealed pot to save towards Christmas.

Sorry for the ramble - it's good to get this down in b&w and hopefully sharing this with you all will help me to stick with it too:rotfl:

Helenjelly - I've updated my sig with the info, but please do whatever is easiest for you.

I've just had my first spend of £26 at AppF - my first order with them so will see how that goes!

Have a frugaltastic day everyone!
  • elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    Woo hoo first rule of OS club, look in the store cupboard. To cut a long story short had a biopsy on my tongue this morning. Starting to feel a bit peckish but not sure what to eat. And there at the back of my store cupboard is half a tub of food replacement drink :D Which means today is another NSD :D

I hope everything is ok DundeeDoll :grouphug:

I've updated my signature to show it's just me I feed on my giant budget, as per previous posts!

I'm taking spaghetti off my shopping list for next month as my friend is moving to London and has filled a box with food from his cupboard and given me the remainder, namely:

4x Mr T Organic Wholewheat Spaghetti 500g
    1x Napolina white spaghetti 500g
    1x Mr T Jar Bolognese sauce

I couldn't understand why he was giving me this stuff as it's great storecupboard items, but from what I can understand I think it's just a storage issue for him and easier for him to get rid! I'm doing well this month in terms of unexpected donations, what with the veg mum gave me earlier in the month as well!

No more spends to report yet - I should only need to buy milk over the weekend and have PLENTY in to keep me till then, and then I get paid Wednesday which starts my new month.

I've become completely obsessed with this thread and the OS boards in general. Now I'm debt free (still hasn't sunk in!) I need to stay really focussed as I know how little willpower I sometimes have, and I DO NOT EVER want to be in debt again (excluding a mortgage in the future if I go down that road again!). My new thing is cutting down groceries as much as possible while still staying healthy, and also I'm trying to get into craft stuff. We'll see how that goes!

Hope everyone has a good day... !

LC
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...off to lidl in a mo to have a look at a couple of their offers...having a curry tonight with hm wedges so that is mostly sorted...got to do a bit of meal planning as well but that shouldnt take very long

might go and buy some special offer chocolate in lidl on sat....im in there so much i should ask for a job

take care tess
    onwards and upwards

• might go and buy some special offer chocolate in lidl on sat

and of course, chocolate on offer has fewer calories!!!!! I wish!
    Had a NSD yesterday which I'm dead chuffed with, but looked at debts today so on a bit of a downer.:(
    MBNA£862/0:) :Santant £115/0:) :Barc £5002/4602 Tesco £1500/0 :) :G £5000/5000 :L £5000/5000 : OD £1231/565
    Debt Tot £18711/15167(feb pd off £3544)
    GC feb budget £450/ spend £470
    march budget £450/
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Morning all!

Declaring for February £296.38, a huge overspend of £36.38. I am going to review my spending and see what lessons are to be learnt, but I think overspending at the beginning of the month and going to the bigger supermarkets are the culprits. And just because it is on offer doest make it a bargain, or mean that I can afford it!

I will aim to use A*di more and shop around using mysupermarket. I think regularly "popping in" to look for yellow labels can be a bit counter productive too.....

Ah well, its all good experience...

Cleggie, you are an inspiration, and have helped me examine my own buying behaviour, keep strong!

Love to all.
    Grocery challenge month runs from 25th to 24th
    January £100. £96.20
    February £100. £1.64
  • elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait until lunchtime :j

I have one loaf and 8 bread rolls sat in the warm room rising (they wouldn't wait till I put them in there to start rising, obviously my kneading does the trick!) - and I've got some YS "salt and pepper" chicken slices from the freezer sat defrosting, and a couple of tomatoes begging to be used soon in the fridge - so a chicken and tomato sandwich on ultra fresh HM bread it will be! Yum!

LC

Just realised I have the last of my chicken risotto for tea, so two lots of chicken in one day! i don't normally have two lots a week! :rotfl: hehe, oops! :D

Have a fantastic day all x
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • Just got back from town and damage is as follows...£4.00 in £land..sugar..kitkats..hot choc and DW tabs.

£4.20 on market for 15 satsumas..bunch of bananas..punnet of grapes and a huge bag of 4 red and 2 green peppers...they are usually really expensive so pleased with those.

£7.60 in MrTs..PepSi Max:naughty: Tiger bread..chicken yoghurts,frubes and some reduced pains au chocolate for a very naughty dinner.

Didnt get much treaty stuff as was struggling to carry all this...had to get milk for my mum too so will pick that up tomorrow.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • spent £1.36 on wrights bread mixes the otheer day, cant remember if i said, then today i bought big bag of randoms and a parazone bleach for £1.26.

Tesco have the parazone going for 50p, flash for £1.40 and persil for £3.20.

£4.38 of my budget left, i can do this! gonna buy some flash and parazone later.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • edited 23 February 2012 at 5:10PM
    SparklyfairySparklyfairy Forumite
    758 posts
    edited 23 February 2012 at 5:10PM
    Hi guys!:wave:

I haven't posted on here in ages - but I NEED to do March's GC as finances MUST be improved..BUT I just wanted to shout this out to you all in case it hasn't been mentioned..in today's Mirror is
    £5 off £30 spend in Aldi voucher + other money off Aldi coupons..I just got 2!

Hth someone! xx