PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• candlelight_2013
    Options
    Have a great time Lyn.

Candlelightx
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Its a beautiful sunny day with a bright blue sky here - just the thing to lift spirits.

Planning on stocking up with seed compost at the weekend and to get cracking on starting off a few veggies and flowers. Although we will have to do really well to beat what we got off our lottie last year...still munching through home grown runner beans from the freezer!

Planning to do a lot more preserving and pickling this year for store cupboard and Christmas presents (apologies :)for mentioning the "c" word but I am trying to plan ahead!!) Really hoping to stock up with vinegar and sugar over the next couple of months to spread the expense.

I have two colleagues at work who save all their jam jars and screw lidded bottles for me plus M-I-L's and my own jars so stockpiling those too - its very frustrating to have everything but the jars ....and I am far too tight to buy them but very happy to share what I make in return for a regular supply :)

I must be middle aged as really looking forward to poring over seed catalogues and recipe books tonight :):)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Thanks for asking Candlelight.

I was starting to pick up but things not going well for me at the moment. My landlords have decided to redo all the balconies in my block of flats and as a result I have to empty the room I use as my study because it will be blocked off for two weeks while the work is done.:eek:
    Have got no idea where am going to put bookshelves, desk, printer etc, not to mention all the books and files.

Feeling totally overwhelmed THEN find tax office have messed around AGAIN with my tax code and have left me with very little to live on when bills are paid. :eek:

Luckily I have fairly full cupboards.

But just wish could curl up in bed and ignore everything. This year has not started well for me at all.

Sorry to moan.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    AOL I am sorry you are having such a tough time.

If we all lived closer to each other I am sure all of us, except perhaps Hoglet who lives in NZ, would all trundle up to see you, help you move said bookcases, help you put the files in some sort of storage and generally make you laugh. All you would have to do would be to supply us with tea and perhaps cake. although we could all bring cake, I think most of us have plenty of practice with baking. I appreciate it all seems a little overwhelming but think how nice the balcony will look, especially in summer when you have some flowers there.

We had our new tax code come through the other day, both seem to be OK. I expect you have already 'phoned them, but if you haven't make sure you have all your paperwork to hand because they are sure to ask you something you won't know.

Hugs and love coming your way AOL

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone,

AOL - I'm sorry to hear things are so hard for you at the moment

Charlies-aunt that's such a good idea stocking up through the year for preserving. I spent almost $40 on vinegar and sugar and some extra bits for my chutneys last weekend, although I do have a very large stash of jam jars so I was well prepared in that regard. I think I have about 30 jars of chutneys, jams and jellies put away this year. Maybe they'll find their way into Christmas and birthday presents cos there's no way we'll get through that many this year. Lots of blueberries in my freezer from the pick your own farm, some of which might find their way into a blueberry vodka maybe?

the little kitten is still with us, still no idea where he came from. Taking him to the vets on Saturday to get checked over. he's a dear little thing that has rapidly become part of the family - he's got DH firmly wrapped around his little paw. The adult cats are still not too happy but do seem to be slowly coming round to his presence. He's had a good few bops on the nose when he thinks their tails are toys.

best wishes to you all

Hoglet x
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning all..

AOT..i am so sorry your having a bad time..like candlelight says if we were all closer we would rally round hun..sending you hugs..

Hoglet..aww the kitty sounds adorable..and you sound busy..

Candlelight..hey thank you..hope you got my pm..

Charlies aunt..you are not middle aged lol..i pour over the seed books at night..my bedside cabinet is full of them and cookery books..such a good idea on buying preserving stuff all year ..

SM..had to chuckle at the bucket of dung..your rhubarb patch must be gigantic ;)..well done on all the baking..i need to do some..just not felt like it..

MLW..hi i hope your visit went well and you and baby had lots of cuddles..don't you just love that baby smell..hoping ruthie is doing ok..

Kate hiya..how you doing?
    VJ'mum..helloo you ok?
    Cheapskate..hiya hun you and the littles ok?
    Well i have had a weird week..the girls both came down with the cold very hard..laid on sofa not doing anything..watching films and sleeping..both got so hot at one point but thankfully they slept through worst of the temperature..
    So i have been at a loose end really..had all the work planned and activities..it really is not worth doing it if they poorly..
    I have been in the garden and greenhouses sorting my seedlings and getting some bulbs potted up...had an escapee chicken again..darn thing how she gets out is beyond me..mission impossible theme tune being clucked at me..its funny because the other two sit on their side of fence looking at her as if to say.."ooh you gonna get it..you gonna be in trouble"..lol they are so funny..
    So i have also started on my mega clearout of toys..its hard because they want to keep them all..but its disgusting how many we have..
    I have also sorted my craft stash..wow i never realized i had so much..re-did my bookcase in dining room and living room too..i have been so good i haven't spent much this week..just had to buy milk but even that was cut down as the girls didn't drink much of it they wanted water and lemonade..i know i know about fizzy drinks but when i was ill it was all i wanted and it felt so good..good job i had a bottle in the pantry.
    It was just so quiet ..am not used to them being that way..once they were settled on sofa with tissue,drinks and film i didn't hear a peep out of them...they kept going to sleep so i know it was bad for them..neither of them have had a nap in the day since they were 6 months old..too darn nosey to sleep incase they miss something..at least they slept all night well Iris never slept but does now lol..
    Right have to go they are up and snottyish..its going to be a lovely day and i plan to get back in the garden and tidy up ..hopefully the girls will have a bit more energy today...
    love to you all
    hope i didn't forget anyone if i did i apologize..
    love
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning FTM glad the girls are on the mend, this weekend being warm will let them out into the fresh air and that's really the best way, combined with the sunshine we're promised to see of the rest of their cold isn't it? If you ever see a sodastream in one of the CS I've got a very old recipe for lemonade syrup that was He Who Knows Grandmas and I make it with fizzy water from the sodastream, I can't abide the ready made concentrates made for it, they all taste much too chemical for us, but, the lemonade syrup is lovely and tastes sherberty lemony. I'll post the recipe if you're interested?

Visit to Zebra was lovely, they went out for the first time and let me babysit him and he was as good as gold, he's doing well and putting on weight and Mum and Dad are both coping much better with the whole parenthood thing. Zebra seems to be much more content when he has his formula top ups and sleeps for much longer between feeds, so Ruthie being a sensible body has decided that the lesser evil is to have a sleeping and not hungry child, she's going to be a very good mum and his Daddy is besotted and so good with him, he's a lucky little chap, much loved by all his combined families!!! I've been able to 'do' the flat from top to bottom when I've been visiting which makes her feel better too. I found a lovely wooden toy in the CS yesterday for when he's a bit older it's a tray with 2 x wooden cornets, 4 x wooden ice cream balls and a wooden ice cream scoop, I forsee much fun next year. I'm putting together a toy box for here when I find suitable things, I'm loving it!!!

HOGLET glad the kitten is thriving and hope all went well at the vetty persons place (to quote the lurcha!) does he/she have a name yet?

AOT if you can't say it to us lovie and have us understand, we're not the people I think we are, not moaning love, just sharing and being supported wholeheartedly in return. Hugs, but gentle ones and I hope you have the warm sunny weather they've promised this weekend in abundance, it makes such a difference to mood when the sun is shining doesn't it? We're always here for you, and we'll always listen!!!

Have a really lovely weekend everyone, Love Lyn xxx.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Another nice day here - hope everyone is enjoying the change in the weather :) The forecast is good for tomorrow too and optmist that I am, I have my washer on doing all our bedding ready for pegging out in the morning :)

In the market today, I spotted a great bargain ....a stall was selling 4 x McVities Golden Syrup cakes for £1 as short dated and I fully intended getting a couple of quids worth on my way back to freeze as I thought they would be great heated up with a spoonful of treacle and scoffed with a tin of Basics custard....alas I forgot!! Drat!

All was not lost as I called in at the approved-food type shop on the way and bought a large catering pack of sugar-free strawberry jelly crystals for £1, a couple of Coleman casserole mixes complete cook-in-the-bag bags for 20p each and 5 packets of Knorr Gourmet Moments Cream of Green and White Asparagus with Almonds for £1 :)

Work is still tough - trying to stay positive and help as much as I can but dreading April when the next round of cuts and sanctions come into force. I am thankful that the powers-that-be haven't talked their way into war with Russia :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2014 at 9:54AM
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Another beautiful morning, 2 in a row, perhaps this is early Spring.

Fairly busy day today, off to Costco when it opens at 11.a.m. for a few bits, then up to DD1 to do the necessary. She is doing much better now, the pain is more manageable, she is having physio every week and also doing the exercises at home, and for the last 3 mornings has been able to make her bed. It is quite difficult when you are on 2 crutches to keep walking around a double bed to make it, but she has done it. One determined young woman.

Then home and I think a light lunch and then I will cook this evening, usually we eat at lunchtime on Sunday but I think it will be too much of a rush.

FTM I am pleased the girls are recovering, thank you for the PM. They must have felt poorly poor things to fall asleep watching TV.

Lyn I am sure you must notice a difference every time you see Ezra, what a joy he must be to you and He Who Knows.

Hoglet are you OK?

Well must dash love and hugs to everyone and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Candlelightx
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello all..
    What a beautiful day..we really need to get the blackout blinds for the bedrooms..we were up at half 6 ...on a sunday too..nevermind..

Candlelight..o bless you for helping your gal..she does sound very determined to get back to normal..glad her physio is going well..hope you enjoyed your day..

MLW..yes please i would love the recipe..i try to stay away from sugary things a majority of the time..i prefer hm lemonade with a dash of sparkling water..so refreshing..o your girlie is lucky to have you as a granny..i love little wooden toys they are so much nicer than the plastic stuff..plus you can give it a darn good scrub too..how wonderful to start a toy box for him...so gad that ruhie and he have found a routine that works for them both..he will grow so fast..its not fair when they do that.

Charliesaunt..thank god for you..at least one decent person is trying to help and care for people with rent problems..your amazing keep your chin up hun..shame you forgot your bargain cakes..i love them with cream or icecream or custard ...well anything really lol...well done on your other bargains though..

Well today has been amazing..i did all the beds and bathroom..hoovered all through...and got laundry on the line..smells amazing..the girls have been outside nearly all day..riding bikes and playing football..
    Simon has done the garden and he and the girls were in the greenhouses for about 2 hours..they all came out with dirty hands and compost all over them..but happy..they planted bulbs and repotted some plants..started off flowers and seeds too...he went to the lottie with them and raked out an onion bed and tidied the shed..brought them both home in his wheel barrow..was so funny to watch them come down the hill..
    We had a lovely lunch..roast chicken..got the rest of it for tea..i made a cheesecake for dessert too..its just so nice to be busy in the sunlight sn't it..
    We are going to plan the kitchen later..have seen some kitchens for sale on ebay..and we can afford to do it outright so may have it soon..but am bothered about parting with so much money all in one go..will have to think on it..
    I think the weather has played a major part in the girls recovery..yesterday they sat in the garden watching me weed and hoe the borders..within half an hour they were riding bikes and on their swings..bless them..
    I popped to the church yesterday to drop off some tinned foods for food bank..didn't realize they were having a mini jumble sale..bingo..i got Iris the most gorgeous winter coat for this year for £3..its red and a dress coat..beautiful..i found Fern a brand new long sleeve nightie for 50p, and a lovely floral top for 50p..they have all been washed and ironed..look lovely
    My eldest dd heard about my wardrobe purge and arrived with 2 huge bags of clothes..she had a purge too..i now have 5 pairs of jeans,3 posh frocks,4 casual tops,4 cardigans,6 t-shirts,2 blouses,2 jumper dresses..and i can mix and match them all..its so easy to get dressed in the mornings now..my wardrobe is almost empty but yet i have got lots of choices..sounds daft that but its true..each pair of jeans goes with 4 tops..and cardigans..
    hope your all ok
    enjoy the sunshine..
    love to you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income