We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• Furrtiv
    Furrtiv Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Right, gonna get me spare heat mat out and a spare propagator, and beg some chilli seeds off MIL. :)

As for tarantulas, I only have eight, and my favourite is the only one I can handle as she's docile and placid, the b. albopilosum (curly-haired). :)
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well that's very nice, but I'm bloody well not growing one of those! :mad: :p The walking-stick kale was bad enough. :rotfl:

Where did you go then? Feel free to share more pictures!

And nice to have you back. ;)

Nice to be back, went to gambia :D

top pic is a field of sweet potatoes, bottom one is hubby wondering if I've earthed up the potatoes a bit too much :D

s8000990.th.jpg
    s8000920.th.jpg
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Just posting was enough to give me a bit of momentum, so I've been out this afternoon for a tidy up. I've emptied all the tubs and tomato / chilli pots onto the raised beds, pulled up the old beans and done a spot of weeding here and there.

I need to work out how to prune wayward gooseberries. :think:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/pruning-gooseberries

You've made me feel guilty MBE, I only shuffled my seeds again, cleared the kitchen window ready for sprouting.
    But I do get the last of the holiday washing done too;)
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :) well 20 of my 21 chilis have come up nicely, some are nearly ready for potting on. My potaots are chitting away and looking great-I've gone for Maris bard again, a first early that's a good all round potato. They will be mainly grown in bags/tubs this year though as the veg plot was used for potatos last year and then lots of rogue ones popped up, presumably from the previous owners.

Although I have a question-we are planning on extending the veg plot tomorrow by a few feet-taking up some lawn for it, but I think I've read not to grow potatos on freshly made beds that were previously lawn-can anyone advise me on this? Annie??

I'm also going to get tomatoes and sweet peppers started this weekend and probably sow some broad beans in modules too-first time trying these, eek. Sadly its rain forecast for today but tomorrow looks dry, bright, if cold, so out in the garden we shall go! I can't wait to get started again, feel really excited by it, but the garden needs an awful lot of work again.

Oh, another potato question. We cleared some conifers out of the garden last year-they occupied what is now rather a large bed, but the soil isn't the best (obviously :(). The bed is west facing but has a canopy of really large trees that overhang it-from a neighbouring estate, so when the trees start to sprout leaves again the bed is quite shaded. I was wondering if some early potatos might be ok in it? If I put some manure on the bed tomorrow and give it a dig over-what do people think? Any advice always gratefully received. Happy growing everyone :)
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    , but I think I've read not to grow potatos on freshly made beds that were previously lawn-can anyone advise me on this? Annie??

Annie says that potatoes grown in beds that have been newly converted from lawn can be more susceptible to wireworm. :p

MBE says he didn't have any such problems last year - a bit of scab, particularly in the Blue Danube, but nothing too serious. No sign of wireworm, despite finding a click beetle in the garden (it's them what make wireworms. ;) )
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Furrtiv wrote: »
    As for tarantulas, I only have eight, and my favourite is the only one I can handle as she's docile and placid, the b. albopilosum (curly-haired). :)

I never used to handle mine. I had a Pterinochilus murinus once but had to get rid. It was one of the few that ever escaped, which is not what you want from a T that is fondly known in the trade as an OBT (Orange Bitey Thing). :eek:
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

MBE says he didn't have any such problems last year - a bit of scab, particularly in the Blue Danube, but nothing too serious. No sign of wireworm, despite finding a click beetle in the garden (it's them what make wireworms. ;) )

Look at you with all your knowledge...very impressive :j Thanks for the advice, I might just try some spuds in that patch then :D
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Look at you with all your knowledge...very impressive :j

Nah, just had to ask the same things last year when I made new beds. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport