We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• Catwoman103
    Options
    I'm just waiting for the ground to thaw a bit and I'll go and dig the garden over. Still have broccoli and Spinach from last year growing whcih is keeping the rabbits happy.
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    Hello all

Do you mind if I join - I know Im a little late but I will be off on my jollys tomorrow to get my compost/pots etc and start my growing.

So far seed wise I already have gotten (not sown yet)

Tomato - Sweet millions
    Tomato - outdoor girl
    lettuce - saladin
    Carrot - Autumn King 2
    Pumpkin - jack o lantern
    Carrot - James Scarlet intermediate
    Cucumber - Telepathy F1
    Brocolli - Samson F1
    Leek - Autumn Mammoth 2 - snowstar
    Onion - Ailsa craig
    Swede - best of all

I also have rhubarb and a blueberry bush and did have a pot of strawberries which seem pretty dead now but the runners may grow as it was their first year planting last year after I rescued them for 25p each in wilkinsons.

I do also want to get some Maris Piper seed potato's and I have seen some King Edward ones too so I will be grabbing a bag of each of those too.

Plus I think I might give peas a go aswell but I dont know which variety.

Im down in south wales so I think if I start planting up the onion and leek this week, then when we actually get into March I should be able to get my greenhouse back up and sorted and then all the other potted up stuff can be stored in there.

I am thinking of getting some big growing bags for all the veg - a pack of two ready bed is £3.99 in HomeBargains if anyone has one near by!, I have two large growing bags (the canvas type ones) for the carrots and am thinking I might get a few spud bags etc and some 'borrowed' coop buckets too.

Only problem is how will I get all the compost home to fill them - I did get a compost bin too through the councils scheme but it is no way near full enough for em to get any compost from it - thinking if I fill it now - which is really going to take some doing - then I might have compost in time to plant the swedes with in June!

Complete novice here so expect more - HELP ME! style questions soon
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Angelfeathers
    Options
    Well, I didn't get anything pricked out today because the compost I bought yesterday and kept indoors overnight to thaw out still had great big frozen clumps in it! Bother. Looks like they're going to have to wait till the weekend as I'm back at work tomorrow. :-(

I've put the compost further into the house and nearer a radiator. Don't want it to get *too* hot, but I would like it to thaw out!
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Look at you all, carrying on without me! I've been really lazy because the rugby's been on at the weekends, and I can't do gardening drunk. :o

However, there's none this weekend so I might get a bit done.

And I have bought a shredder from eBay. It's much bigger than I thought it would be - struggled to get it in the car. Mmmm...new power tool. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Furrtiv wrote: »
    I'd like to ask, actually - I have a spare heat mat (I keep tarantulas) that isn't being used - someone said about putting this under chillies to help propagate them.

That's what I do - use a heat mat to make a propagator a heated propagator. Works for me. Only use it until the seeds have germinated, then take them out.

I have kept the occasional T myself. Think the Avicularia metallica was my favourite. :)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    s8001080.th.jpg

A giant Baobab tree, fruits can be eaten, bark used to make water carriers, roots make a 'health' tea and wood used for roof props.

Now I'm back need to get started, could tidy up the garden but I think I'll start some peppers first whilst my body adjust to the fact that it's not 35c any more :(
  • Aria`s_Tail
    Options
    Hi,
    Got a few more bits done in the last week.
    My new garden looks like it has never been loved, basically a square of grass and weeds with some concrete paths in places. Gonna take some digging before I can plant anything so have botched a few temporary measures for the next few weeks!
    Stuck my 2 raspberry canes in some compost in an empty dog food sack and made some newspaper pots and planted 18 garlic cloves. Also planted my rhubarb in my old recycling tub, will get it going this year at least, can always stick it in the garden later.
    Have bought some cheap tools from home bargins so will get digging in the next few weeks. Got a couple of cheap blueberry bushes and planted them up in big pots. (where they will stay).
    Also picked up a bag of rocket seed pots which are chitting on the windowsill, will prob put them in the old recycling sacks.
    OH thought I had gone mad the other night, we were out walking the dogs when I spied an old recycling tub dumped in some bushes. Apparently he was embarrased with I pulled it out and took it home to grow stuff in!
    This weekend i'm gonna sort out my bag of seeds and get some tomotoes planted. Was gonna do some digging but weather forcast isn't great. Also have a bedroom to paint!
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »

A giant Baobab tree, fruits can be eaten, bark used to make water carriers, roots make a 'health' tea and wood used for roof props.

Well that's very nice, but I'm bloody well not growing one of those! :mad: :p The walking-stick kale was bad enough. :rotfl:

Where did you go then? Feel free to share more pictures!

And nice to have you back. ;)
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I had to buy potatoes today. :( First time since about mid-June.
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    How did I miss last years thread?! This is so interesting. Must join you all.

Moved last year and lost my large garden along with the growing season. This thread has given me the zing to get on with it again. So what its a hankerchief garden now and its all uphill. :p

I grew Green Sausage tomatoes three years ago. Not sure how you eat them. Cooked? :think: Taste was a bit strange for raw.

Incidently that was the only year I broke all the rules and sowed my toms at end of Jan. 50 plants I had and they did fab.
    I'm up for taking risks now. :D

Shall enjoy going through my seed box now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport