We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Pregnancy Club 24

1…849850852854855…1444

Comments

  • Cheetara
    Cheetara Posts: 22 Forumite
    Triangle wrote: »
    Hi Cheetara :wave:

    We're due pretty much the same time :) I have SPD too and decided a while ago to finish work early so will leave next friday at 34 weeks. I'm going to take 2 weeks annual leave so will actually start maternity leave at 36 weeks. Can you use up any annual leave?

    Txx

    Hi Triangle :wave:

    I'm supposed to finish at 36 weeks, the 2 weeks after that are annual leave and then maternity leave begins. Used up other leave having school hols off with DD. Had a chat with Mum and Dad today and have decided I'm going to try going back to work next week, will play it by ear. If I'm in late or can't manage the odd day at least they'll see I am trying and the more I work the more I get paid. If I can't cope then I'll just have to stop early.

    How evil is SPD? I don't know if you've tried this but I've started sleeping on top of a duvet (as well as under one - all the talk of toasties on here, I could make one when I go to bed!) and it helps a little. I also find a cake applied to the face hole once a day (or as required) works wonders :rotfl:
  • Oh it's evil! And cakes help a lot, don't know why we can't get them free on prescription. I guess times are hard. At least work know you're trying your best and you're not just skiving. Could you go on part time? Do you have an occupational health dept that could advise?
    Daft question, why do you sleep on the duvet? Ive got a memory foam mattress, but still get pain in bed so might try it out. I find sometimes a duvet is too heavy and my legs burn especially after a busy day. I just use a duvet cover as I can't stand not being covered up.

    Think I'm gonna make a toaster, can't stop thinking about them!
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Cheetara wrote: »
    Hi Triangle :wave:

    I'm supposed to finish at 36 weeks, the 2 weeks after that are annual leave and then maternity leave begins. Used up other leave having school hols off with DD. Had a chat with Mum and Dad today and have decided I'm going to try going back to work next week, will play it by ear. If I'm in late or can't manage the odd day at least they'll see I am trying and the more I work the more I get paid. If I can't cope then I'll just have to stop early.

    How evil is SPD? I don't know if you've tried this but I've started sleeping on top of a duvet (as well as under one - all the talk of toasties on here, I could make one when I go to bed!) and it helps a little. I also find a cake applied to the face hole once a day (or as required) works wonders :rotfl:

    I had really really evil SPD - started just out of the first trimester, by week 25ish or something I was waiting for a physio appointment and I was on crutches before week 28 (I know I was on them by then and had been for a few weeks as I remember having them when I went for my second GTT). If you can get one - a physio referral (our PCT are quite good for womeny-physio clinics and put you through pretty fast - others I know are diabolical) helps in terms of getting an exact diagnosis of the bits causing the particular problem and ways through it - with me my hips and things were still well-aligned, but my back had arched forward really really severely causing a lot of my pain.

    Mine got so bad I was pretty much housebound from March onwards - I feel bad now, with how things turned out, that I was silently wishing she'd come a little bit early (I meant about 37 weeks though - not flipping 33!) to reduce the pain a bit!

    One the physio told me to do before moving off from sitting down or anything (to reduce the "oh gawd let me die my pelvis is falling out of my ladybits" factor when you get up to make a cuppa) was to stand up, and then alternately lift each foot onto tip toes and back down a few times (kind of like a moonwalk but standing still) just to free up the movement in the joint a bit before you move off... that one really really helped me... as did the very fetching - aim the shower at the back of your hips and hula hoop your backside off in the shower with it on nice and warm - manouver... that one gets harder when you get a large bump and a small cubicle though.

    I had to stop working by about 25 weeks gone - but I worked with infant kids so was constantly up and down onto low furniture, sitting on the carpet and the like - and suspected it would have ended up like a tortoise stuck on its back unable to get back the right way around if I'd continued... was only doing one morning a week but was getting to where I was in pain for three days or so afterwards - but I have no maternity pay or leave rights to lose, was just the cut in income I had to bear.

    If it's any consolation - and this is despite them doing EVERYTHING that all the literature tells 'em not to do during the birth (numbed from chest down, legs right up in stirrups around my ears - despite me begging for the safe pain-free gap to be recorded and kept to... this one will be going in as part of the epic complaint about the birth and hospital stay) - the pelvic pain vanished as soon as she was born (granted I was up to my eyeballs on painkillers for stitches for a tear)... within 2 days I was walking up and down to the neo-natal unit to see her. I had a bit of hippy-backy pain after that, and some slightly numb leg feeling - but I flagged down the physio when she was on the ward (they come up every day to talk to women with tears and I requested to see her again) and she gave me some back and stomach muscle exercises to do to rebuild that area and it seems to be going away fairly steadily - while I can't yomp miles and miles up hills with the dogs - I can manage around the park with dogs and baby in a sling - which I haven't been able to do without sobbing in pain since I was about 18 weeks gone!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Cheetara
    Cheetara Posts: 22 Forumite
    Free cake on prescription, that would be living the dream :lovethoug

    We're only a small firm so no occ health or anything, if I have to reduce my hours they'd be ok with that. I'm going to be impossibly brave (ha!) and just do as much as I can manage.

    We've got a memory foam mattress but I still find my hips are agony at night, having that extra layer of softness has helped a bit. Although I tend to elbow OH in the back when I have the herculian task of turning over and trying to move the underneath duvet if it's slipped a bit!
  • Cheetara
    Cheetara Posts: 22 Forumite
    Hi Dizzi

    Firstly, I want to say that I have so much admiration for how you've coped with such a traumatic birth, I hope your LO is doing well and won't have to go back into hospital. I lived in Nottingham when I was 12 so I know which one you've been to and I found their A&E dept at that time was bloody awful too.

    I've been very lucky and was referred to a great physio at about 27 weeks, I've got crutches but thankfully only had to use them a few times. She's described my pelvis as stubborn (!) as she gets it correctly aligned it only takes a couple of days to rattle loose again. She's really good, given me advice about exercises and movements to make things a bit easier so I'm very glad to have been referred to her. I'm relieved to hear that yours stopped once you'd given birth and yours sounds worse than mine, I'm hoping to trick fate by expecting mine to linger for a year and then I'll be fine after the birth too :)
  • MrsExcited
    MrsExcited Posts: 277 Forumite
    Hey guys check this out

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2138269/Jessica-Simpson-baby-Luxurious-4k-DAY-suite-Maxwell-Drew-Johnson-born.html

    Compared to some of the NHS stories on here that looks like absolute heaven! £4k though! Ouch!!
  • alizee
    alizee Posts: 310 Forumite
    hi everyone...
    TMI question from me!
    My last midwife appt was at 38+6 weeks when she told me the baby was not engaged at all. She said this was unusual for a first time mum. Because of what she said I am kind of expecting to go overdue
    Well today when I went to the toilet I had a very big&thick gloop of yellow snot-like discharge. However it was not tinged with blood at all, could this be my plug (or part of it?)
    I know it can still be ages yet but if it is, maybe it's a step in the right direction?
  • Miss_Money
    Miss_Money Posts: 9,682 Forumite
    alizee- sounds like a bit of your plug to me :) hope things progress for you soon :) x
    Bad mother to 2!
    Bad Mother's Club member #4
  • happydays77_2
    happydays77_2 Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Sounds like it to me alizee. That's exactly what mine looked like. I think it becomes a bit blood tinged when your cervix starts thinning out.
    X
    DS1 born June 2000
    Baby Boy due 17th April 2012
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Mine was a smear of snot a couple of days before, then a bigger blob of snot with a couple of streaks of blood (like if you'd blown yer nose and inspected the contents of the hanky) the night things kicked off... was rather disappointed really - expected more of a plug and spectacular and I got a snotty pair of pants.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.