New Post Advanced Search

Meatloaf

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
120 replies 17.6K views
winnie81winnie81 Forumite
887 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I was wondering if anyone had a link to a good meatloaf recipe. Mum used to make one when we were younger but she can't remember the recipe and when I search for one it comes back with so many varitys and all american :confused:

I have been on the look out for such a long time but I never manage to find one I like the look off?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Claire x
Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart

Replies

• HopeElizzyHopeElizzy Forumite
    608 posts
    :hello: I use a Jeanette Orrey (the dinner lady) recipe.

Olive Oil
    1kg (2 and a quarter lb)Mince
    175g (6oz) Wholemeal breadcrumbs
    2 rashers bacon, chopped
    115g (4oz) Red Onion
    55g (2oz) Red Pepper
    1 tsp chopped fresh Thyme
    55g (2oz) pine kernels
    1 egg, beaten

Preheat the oven 180/350/Gas 4 and grease a 450g (1lb) loaf tin.

Gently cook the bacon, onion and red pepper until soft then add to the mince and breadcrumbs along with the thyme and pine kernels. Pour over the egg and mix well.
    Put the mixture into the tin and cover with greaseproof. Cook for 40-45 mins taking off the greaseproof for the last 10 minutes.

This always goes down well in our house! :drool:
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • winnie81winnie81 Forumite
    887 posts
    That sounds just like what I'm after although my mum wouldn't know what a pine kernal was I love them :j

Thank you :T
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
  • Swan_2Swan_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    this is my Grandma's traditional recipe & tastes much nicer than the ingredients sound :)
    she used to make it in a meat roll jar (a straight-sided earthenware jar specifically for the purpose, but I just use a pudding basin) & it came out in a cylindrical shape & the circular slices looked really nice on the plate

Ilb good quality minced beef
    1/2 lb minced bacon
    1 small onion finely chopped
    10 cream crackers or 1 1/2-2oz fresh breadcrumbs
    1 egg, beaten
    salt & pepper

mix everything well, adding egg last to bind it together
    turn into a basin & steam for 2 hours
    serve hot or cold

you could also bake it or microwave it, but I wouldn't know for how long :confused:
    also strikes me you could probably do it in the slow cooker, might just try that myself :)
  • SWAN wrote:
    you could also bake it or microwave it, but I wouldn't know for how long :confused:
    also strikes me you could probably do it in the slow cooker, might just try that myself :)

I've done meatloaf in the slowcooker successfully. You need to put some water in the crock so it doesn't cook dry, and cover the meatloaf with foil otherwise moisture drips into it and you get soggy meatloaf.

I use a vaguely US technique with mine if it's cooked in the oven. When it is mostly cooked, I take it out of the loaf tin and rest it on a baking sheet. Then I spread barbecue sauce all over the outside and put it back in the oven for a while, the sauce bakes on and gives a nice sticky finish.

Or, if you are my idiot husband, you take it out of the tin, rest it DIRECTLY ON THE OVEN SHELF and wonder why it all goes wrong :mad:
  • jockettukjockettuk Forumite
    5.8K posts
    looking to make meatloaf and at sometime nutroast. oh loves them and never made them, so want to give it a try before i give it to him lol..

so if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful thanks..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • AussieLassAussieLass Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    never heard of nut roast so will keep an eye on this thread. I have a really nice recipe for Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce. I can post it in recipe thread if you want me to.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• www.hillbillyhousewife.com has two budget meatloaf recipes or try www.recipezaar.com
    Hope that helps!
  • JolaaledJolaaled Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Nut loaves are easy and you can shove in what you like, to add to a basic mixture.

The basic mix is:
    ground nuts..any sort
    breadcrumbs ..the soft sort

I also sometimes add wheatgerm, if i've got it, or crumbled weetabix.

To this dry mix, add some 'wet stuff' e.g.
    fried, chopped onions
    chopped/grated and cooked veggies e.g. carrots, swede, mushrooms
    You can also add a beaten egg ( but we're vegan here).

also add anything else that takes your fancy e.g
    cooked frozen peas,
    tinned kidney beans
    baked beans
    toms

Don't forget other flavourings e.g. mixed herbs, S&P, marmite, tom puree, mustard, to taste.

The resulting mix needs to be very sticky..ie. hard to stir with a wooden spoon. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs. If too dry, add soy sauce, gravy mix, stock.

The place this stodge firmly pressed down into a pudding bowl ( one that will fit into your slow cooker).
    Cover with pleated foil, securely.
    Add boiling water into the space between this bowl, and the slow cooker crock.
    Slow cook on low for about 6 - 10 hours.

Tastes great!
  • jockettukjockettuk Forumite
    5.8K posts
    thanks everyone
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • Hi all,
    As a kid my mum was always cooking up meals to save money and she could make a fantastic meatloaf. So now I'm getting back into cooking and after not having meatloaf for decades I'd like to make one. So i wondered what's the best meatloaf recipes out there...any ideas??
    Thanks to MSE and all the moneysaving tips I can now work PT (instead of FT) to pay the bills and still have fun!!:beer: