🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• paulpa66
    paulpa66 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    OK i have a four bed house, 2 adults 3 children. Bathroom and downstair shower room. I have a combi boiler but plumbing is 15mm pipe from stock !!!! where the softner will go. Id prefer a non electric softner, could i have some recommendations from those that use these. Have been looking at the Crown and East midlands water company one.

What are these like? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATER-SOFTENER-CALMAG-WATER-SOFTENERS-WATER-METERED_W0QQitemZ190218816380QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks good. No go-faster stripes, etc. Will do what it says on the tin !.

Buy granular or tablet salt in 25 kg bags. Block or 10kg bags - very expensive !
  • paulpa66
    Options
    without a twin tank as its metered could it regenerate half way through filling a bath or filling washing machine?
  • moonrakerz
    Options
    paulpa66 wrote: »
    without a twin tank as its metered could it regenerate half way through filling a bath or filling washing machine?

This will make NO difference whatsoever !

Please do not be conned by the "twin tank" brigade, these machines are just an expensive gimmick !
  • George_Bray
    George_Bray Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Please do not be conned by the "twin tank" brigade, these machines are just an expensive gimmick !

I agree. How many people need to take two or three baths in the middle of the night, when a single tank machine can be replenishing without inconveniencing anyone. Other factors equal, a single tank machine will have twice the effective capacity of a twin tank machine and that's of far more benefit. In any event, your water tanks (one cold, one hot) provide a huge buffer, before you'd face non-softened water.
  • paulpa66
    Options
    Yes but my point is with a single tank metered softner, it regenerates when a certain amount of water passes and can,t be set to regenerate in the wee hours like an electric one can. I'm talking non electric. Also i have a combi boiler not tanks., Given these facts will a metered single tank regenerate half way through filling a bath if it has metered enough water for it to regenerate???
  • abb16ott
    abb16ott Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I went for the crown twin - cost about £650 and uses either block or tablet - trying both at the moment as I got a bag of tablet free - it last a long time but is a paint to keep toping up - the blocks are so easy take lid off and drop in.

Also it doesn't actually matter if u are regenerating during the day or while filling the bath.
  • paulpa66
    Options
    abb16ott wrote: »
    I went for the crown twin - cost about £650 and uses either block or tablet - trying both at the moment as I got a bag of tablet free - it last a long time but is a paint to keep toping up - the blocks are so easy take lid off and drop in.

Also it doesn't actually matter if u are regenerating during the day or while filling the bath.
    Must admit i'm leaning that way. I can get one for £575
  • abb16ott
    abb16ott Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    paulpa66 wrote: »
    Must admit i'm leaning that way. I can get one for £575

Well i would go for it Paul, little or no maintenance with these units, I we have been very happy with it, it's neat, it's small and does a great job, I know people go on about it's not worth the extra cost for a twin, but it's like everything in life, u get what u pay for.

good luck
  • moonrakerz
    Options
    £575 ! you are paying £250 more for something that is totally unnecessary !

I thought this was a money saving site !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure