Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

My poor dog

in Pets & pet care
48 replies 1.9K views
Over the weekend our dog who is a cross between an Alsation and a Dorberman (aged 12 ) has had huge difficulty in walking and especially when having to get up. My instincts are that I should have her put to sleep tomorrow out of kindness but it's so hard :o
Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)

Replies

• QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Over the weekend our dog who is a cross between an Alsation and a Dorberman (aged 12 ) has had huge difficulty in walking and especially when having to get up. My instincts are that I should have her put to sleep tomorrow out of kindness but it's so hard :o

Awwww Westy! (((((HUGS))))) :(

Wait to see what the vet says - 12 years is oldish for a dog but not excessively so, and there may be something that can be done? If not, my thoughts are with you and the poor doggy. I know how hard it is to have a pet put to sleep. :o
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • 12 yrs is a good age for such a large dog really. Not only has she gone off her feet , but she's not eaten for 48 hrs either, which is most unlike her.

We are, as we speak tempting her to her bed, & be honest she is struggling. I have tried to prepare my children for tomorrow, but not sure how to really :confused: It's so hard.
  • My SIL Has a Dobermen he is also suffering from the same problem he has arthritis and is about the same age he cant walk to go for a wee either he also has diabieties so SIL has to consider if it be better to put him to sleep :(

i hope you dont have to lose your dog :( they are like children to some people
    :A Tracey - Mommy of two girls on a mission to save money:A

Comping challenge 2007 win your internet fees's back:
    Costs £179.88
    Won £0.00
  • She is certainly a member of our family. and it will break our hearts, but I KNOW that it will be the kindest thing for us to do BUT , it's so hard (yes I'm crying again)
  • She is certainly a member of our family. and it will break our hearts, but I KNOW that it will be the kindest thing for us to do BUT , it's so hard (yes I'm crying again)

i was heartbroken and i mean Heartbroken sobbing my eyes out when my cat and hamster died :( its sad to lose pets
    :A Tracey - Mommy of two girls on a mission to save money:A

Comping challenge 2007 win your internet fees's back:
    Costs £179.88
    Won £0.00
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Awww Westy, whatever happens my thoughts are with you, and I'm sure I speak for lots of peeps here. :o

Q xxxxxxx
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • polkipolki Forumite
    548 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    I have been in exactly the same position in the past, and would just like to say that you know in your heart of hearts when the time is right to put an end to the suffering.

Our vet had suggested that the time was imminent, but to go away and think about it. A few days later, we carried her to the surgery and it was heartbreaking but I felt then, and still do, that it was absolutely the right thing to do.

You will know at the time if it is right. Don't let your poor dog suffer.

My best wishes to you all.
  • Penny_WatcherPenny_Watcher Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Westy, how awful :sad:

My two are youngsters still, but it's a decision I'll have to make one day. I really feel for you and your family. ((((((HUGS))))))

Could you get the vet to come to you? I know it's not money saving, but even so it would be a final kindness for a much loved friend.

PW
    xx

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • My thoughts are with you.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • Oh, I totally empathise :( I had exactly the same situation with my gorgeous wonderful collie cross 2 years ago, he was 15 and had looked after me and the children for a long time. I was heartbroken and I still occasionally forget and look for him when I get in from work.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals