PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Options

Comments

• PIGSMAYFLY
    PIGSMAYFLY Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I will be joining in as of Friday. I need to lose a LOT of weight (8st at least) but my target for Easter will be 21lbs please (and hoping for more) Thanks for the tread :)
    -2lbs

Goal: lose 7lbs
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to all the Newbies! So great to see all these good intentions, I really hope you all stay.

Rosewood - well done on your mini-challenge, 1lb off target isn't bad at this time of year. What's your DH spending the £10 on?

I am starting today, yesterday was recovering from the night before so I had microwave curry with chips and bread for dinner and a bacon roll for lunch...
    This morning I have had a small amount of beans with toast and a cup of tea. Estimate around 400cal. Have apples so will eat those if hungry and try to find some soup in the freezer for lunch. Really need to get out and buy fresh veg and fruit...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I have measured my BMI this morning - 31.09 at 163cms high and 13 stone.

I am actually really shocked to see that I am in the obese category :( I guess there is no point worrying about it as I am doing something about it now.

Shopping day today so will be buying fruit and veg galore, skimmed milk and wholemeal bread. It should make a little bit of a difference. I'm feeling confident that I can do something about this now and I think that is because I want to and realise I have to make the right choices, I like the element of control. Diet plans take that control away, we're told what we must do and how to do it. I think when I have looked at regimes in the past I have wanted them to show me the easy way. There's no easy way and sometimes I think diet plans make it that bit harder.

I'm just grateful that I read those words 'acceptance is giving up on yourself' ;) At least I can stop it getting any worse and hopefully, even fix it!
  • dragonlily
    Options
    Well, finally weighed and am 15"7.0 *eek*. Good luck everybody!

My weight loss starts from today x
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good morning all :D
    am back on the wagon after about 6 weeks of it all having gone to pot :o think i have put about 6lb on in that time, added to the other few lb i had put on over the year that gives me a stone to lose.
    the plan for today is:
    2 x wm, seeded toast with butter & marmite
    late lunch will prob be soup after the gym :eek:
    dinner will be veggie lentil chilli with a few tortilla chips.

i am feeling really positive, i lost 3 stone a few years ago (1 stone is back on) so i know i xan do it when i put my mind to it :T

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    Got on the Wii this morning :eek::eek::eek: bmi over 40!!!!!! Really not good at all and at 16 st 9 which at 5ft 3in is terrible and the heaviest I have ever been.

No excuses apart from comfort eating, sedentary lifestyle and sheer laziness. As I'm nearly 60 I need to get sorted asap, and like the OS idea as it's not a d**t but a lifestyle change. Have tried the d things all my life and never worked for me.

Luckily OH and DD are with me in this as they too need to lose some pounds, so no biscuits, puddings cakes etc. and we have agreed a one chocolate bar at the weekend rule which we can all stick to.

Now sorting through bean / rice recipes for good veggie stuff as both DD and I are veggie and OH is happy to eat veggie as long as it's tasty.

Long way to go, but have taken the first step - breakfast wheat biscuits and lunch home made toast with some baked beans. Dinner will either be chilli with brown rice or goulash so DD can take some for lunch tomorrow.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 January 2012 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Welcome even more newbies! :hello:

Checked my bmi this morning which I've not thought of doing for a year or so, very pleasantly surprised to find I'm well out of the obese range and into mid-range overweight.

Breakfast - apple
    Dinner - veg omelette
    tea - 3 crackerbread spread with lf yogurt, 1 peanut butter, 1 vegemite, 1 plain
    Snacks - satsuma, pear, apple, melon, handful raisins
    Exercise - 1/2 hour pulm, 5 mins step, no weights cos chest inf making me cough too much - must find out if coughing fits burn calories ;)

Enjoy the rest of the day :)

eta - soupdragon a year ago I was over 12stone at 5 feet nothing, bmi was well into obese, not good for a 64 y/o with copd! Through this forum i've lost an average half lb a week, bmi is well down (see above) and have only had 3 ci's in the past twelve months - previous year I had 9! This method is like the tortoise and the hare, sure we can lose lbs in weeks but it'll all go on again. The slower I do it, the more I lose. Good luck to you, your OH and DD, believe me if I can do it, you can do it :D
  • Rose_Wood
    Rose_Wood Posts: 867 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2012 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Afternoon All,

Welcome to all the newcomers.

Soupdragon this time last year I weighed 12 and a half stone with a BMI well over 30 as I am only 5ft tall (like Sparrer). I am now 8st 13lbs, go to exercise classes a couple of times a week, do exercise DVDs and have even taken up running. I am in size 8 clothes (and even the occasional size 6) and feel great - and am 53. I did it all through eating my normal diet more or less, counting calories, having smaller portions and adding extra exercise into my diet. I still have cream and butter, don't do diet foods and eat really well. Hope that helps with your motivation. I started on January 12th last year.

I've had a busy day of housework - washing floors on hands and knees, cleaning cupboards etc. I've also made 3 lots of butter since last night as I got 6 pints of cream for £3 on New Year's Eve. It's made loads of butter plus I've a couple of cartons of buttermilk - all of which is in the freezer. I was supposed to be working 2-8 but DS rang up to say could I do the evening shift instead as someone had rung in ill so I feel as though I've had a bonus afternoon as I wouldn't have got anything done after getting home at just after 8. I shall now be working from 5 till about 10.30.

B: Bran flakes with sultanas and buttermilk (and a dash of double cream)
    L: HM pancake stuffed with spinach and green beans. and served with petit pois. Raspberries with Greek yoghurt.
    T: (Pack up at work) Prawn salad wrap assuming I can find enough lettuce leaves still growing in the garden.

Treats: 1 coffee cream chocolate. Maybe 2 more chocolates if there are any left at work (I've been allowing myself 2 per shift).

Exercise: 30 minutes exercise DVD - a new one DH bought me for Christmas which is Jillian Michael's latest - Ripped in 30. Walk to the bottle bank and back, walk to work later - so maybe 2 miles in total.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • soupdragon10
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Sparrer and Rose Wood - I have decided to set low targets which are achievable, and like you not vary my diet too much just eat smaller and maybe cut out some of the 'empty' calories and high sugar foods.

Off to do another short exercise session (challenge OH to tennis on the Wii) neither of us can run, but this gets us nicely out of breath and is great fun.
  • LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 January 2012 at 5:37PM
    Options
    Well, I'm feeling very positive today :j. A good start made - small portion of hm museli for brekkie, Miso soup sachet (found in store cupboard) & 3 very small clementines (needed using up)for lunch, and for tea I have lined up a small handful of lo new potatoes and a small portion of lo beef and coleslaw (all need using up).

I spent some time this morning replenishing my hm muesli (used up lo dates in it), and I've also made a batch of hm soup from the lo veges (roasted & steamed yesterday), and both these will do me for the week's brekkies and lunches (back at work from tomorrow :o)

Despite today's wild and windy (as well as at times very wet) weather, I've also wrapped up and walked (approx 5.5. miles).

For me in the past, the key to weight loss has always been to reduce portion sizes and plan ahead, so I've also planned my teas for the week. In line with being more frugal for the grocery challenge, I'm using up stuff in the cupboard/fridge/freezer, so one night will have scrambled egg on toast, another night a baked potato & tuna/mayonnaise. There is no earthly reason why I NEED meat in every meal.....

Just call me Pollyanna, I feel so virtuous :rotfl:Long may it continue!

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport