PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folk,

I'd like to continue decluttering this month too, hopefully then to simplify everyday life and find direction. Also, to improve health and wellbeing of us all at home.
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Hi.Well I didn't quite manage my November target as I got sidetracked by lots of other activities.I'd still like to declutter some more though,so am starting off with a lowish figure.

Good luck for December everyone!

I've decided to index all my books,specifying whether I've read them or not.I've probably got over a two hundred unread books at least.This might take a while.Hopefully this'll help me decide which to keep and which can go as well.
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    6 carrier bags of stuff for charity, a stroller, a weight ball and 2 kids games taken to CS

broken breadmaker, 2 bin bags of general rubbish and old fire surround to the tip :)

Sarah x
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • silentsister
    Options
    Nothing done today - first a visitor staying, then I visited family. I'm pleased with my November total - 334 in all. I still need to declutter but it's mainly connected with unfinished jobs, so I'm setting myself the task of completing 15 half done jobs which should result in a much clearer bookroom/office. I'm sure various items will also make their way out of the house but I'm not going to set a target. I don't want the chance to sidetrack myself!

If people are getting tired of Christmas already, I could turn things on their head for you. The church I attend celebrates its New Year's Day (Advent) tomorrow - so tonight is New Year's Eve. Does that make you feel any better?
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2012 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Declutter 300 things in the first 15 days of December. Just 20 things a day.
    I allowed myself to go to one of the other cluttered areas. It was totally off bounds til now to help focus decluttering in certain rooms. And predictably there was plenty of stuff in there. :eek:
    1. Unused face cream
    2. Coaster
    3. Bag of papers/bills
    4. Daily cr&p of leaflets/takeaway menus recycled straight after they came through the door. We get tons of these.
    5.6.7. Pans
    8. Unwanted lights
    9.10. Naff boxes of matches used up in the fire (the promotional merchandise stuff)
    11.12. Magazines
    13.14. Brochures from 2011
    15. Packaging
    16. Shoe storage
    17.18. Plastic packaging
    19. Bag (CS)
    20. Letters received today read and recycled instead of stored, moved, tidied, stored etc etc

Thanks Loopychriss. I hope to crack 300 again. There is still so much stuff. It's taken years to get to this state so it should be no surprise that it will take effort to get it straight. Today for the first time I thought I could almost start fly lady :D Well done on your efforts. Especially those morsebags. Do you give them away outside shops? Or sell them? Nosey me!

Well done Fizzbizz. You did well to clear all that and do extra work too :T

What better incentive than a house move LL. Every bag you declutter is one less to tidy, pack, move, unpack, tidy, store etc etc :j

Go for it dannie. That's what I'm after, a simpler life.

I know what you mean Marmiterulesok. I love books too. I turned my addiction from buying to borrowing from the library. Good idea to do an index that might show which genres you prefer to read.

You're an inspiration happytails. You've a very young baby and you're decluttering like a demon. :A

Oh my silentsister! Well done on your decluttering :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    21. Coffee syrup (little bottle), used some, tasted yuck, so thrown the rest away. Bottle recycled.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to you all for your achievements. This week I have managed to recycle birthday cards and 3 electrical items finally got dropped off at the tip. OH recycled quite a few cardboard boxes today. Target for tomorrow is to sort out 2 more photo albums so far I have managed to sort out 14 albums and turn them into 7.

Good luck to you all in December.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: everybody - it's just taken me ages to catch up on your great efforts. You've all been busy-bees while my back's been turned
    :T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T:j:T
    I've had a good few days on holiday with my mum and have come back to the news that my 'new' home will be ready for me to view later this week - this turns my efforts at starting to declutter into an immediate necessity omg.gif!
    I've had a day of 'dgs3-sitting' today and have got dgd1 staying overnight ...........
    ............. major serious effort begins tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep up the good work ladies; see you all tomorrow - bright and early - sleeves rolled up - and ready for action ...........
    :wave: for now - Lilyplonk xxx
  • loopychriss
    Options

Thanks Loopychriss. Well done on your efforts. Especially those morsebags. Do you give them away outside shops? Or sell them?

You're an inspiration happytails. You've a very young baby and you're decluttering like a demon. :A
    No, I don't give the bags away outside shops: some people who make them do, but I have a ready market for them via my mum and local Community Wardens, who distribute them all over for me. We don't sell them, as it's against the ethos of the founder. They are made from repurposed fabric (i.e. curtains, duvet covers etc.) and given away free for people to use instead of plastic bags. Morsbags are trying to get the message to people that cloth bags are much more environmentally friendly than plastic. For more info you could look at the website www.morsbags.com

I agree with you too, happtails must be superwoman to look after 3 under 5s and still have energy to do all that decluttering! Don't try to do too much too soon though, you have to let your body recover from having a baby!

Not much happening here today: went to a quiz night tonight so decluttered a mini bottle of wine and a bottle of lemonade. Took along a bottle of red wine but brought some of that back home, plus another bottle and a selection box that we got as members of the winning team! Still, at least they won't take up much space and will be decluttered in the next couple of weeks!

I really am going to try and knuckle down to decluttering this coming week, I feel like I've been playing at it since half term when my daughter and grandson stayed for the week. Need to have the 'pre-Christmas decoration going up' thorough clean, so it might as well be this week!

1. Mini bottle of wine - drunk at quiz night
    2. Bottle of lemonade - drunk at quiz night

Must do better tomorrow!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• suzeesu2000
    Options
    Cor you busy lot! :eek: what a way to end the month!!

I am pleased with outing 146 bits of carp in November, makes up for the shortfall in October.

Have quite a bot of other stuff going on during December, so I am going to look at Decluttering 50 in December. have loads of cleaning to do now I can actually SEE the grime :(

Well done all and Happy December too :rotfl:
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts