PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Count me in too!:wave:

Although my task isn't as big as it is for some of you it is still stressing me out.

We have a fairly small house with not a lot of storage space and no garage although we do have a shed. We have to have the dining table in the sitting room as the kitchen is a bit small plus the 2 dogs sleep in the only availabe place.

I'm following the rule of a place for everything and everything in its place. Making sure everything has a place and putting it back when its been used.

I started with the sitting room today and am pleased with what I've achieved:j Christmas decs down and all dusted and vacumed. Plus I've chucked out one of the rugs and am just having the laminate floor for now - makes it loo bigger anyway.

Part of the problem is DH as he spreads clutter where he goes:mad: but when he sets his mind to it he does love a good turf out too so there's not a problem with him wanting to hang on to things.:T

Later I'm tackling my dressing table - had some nice Cath Kidston drawer liners for Christmas so it will be a sort out of the drawers before lining them then tackle the top - lots of necklaces etc which I dont wear anymore.

I'm enjoying reading through the thread while I have my cuppa:) I'll report back later.
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm, well having a productive day but not in the house!

OH wanted to re-roof the shed today whilst it is dry (desparately needed doing - we have covered it with white plastic to stop it getting soaked and it looked horrible) but he needed my help for a while and he wanted me to stay around in case he fell off and hurt himself. So have been chopping up loads of kindling which is great.

The spare room still looks like a tip though!
  • Kimsmum
    Kimsmum Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    I am half way throught decluttering my bedroom, looks better already.

Three bags to CS, two bags of rubbish.

Going to have lunch now then get back to it.
    Taking it one day at a time
  • glitterkitty
    Options
    I'd love to join in with this please! I only have my bedroom (I live with my mum) but its an absolute state. Me and my BF are trying to save to get our own house and I don't want to take clutter with me!
    I also have my own small craft business (as well as working full time and commuting) and my bits and pieces are all over the place.
    First thing I plan to do is sort out my wardrobe and shoe rack. I'm going to chuck out all the clothes I don't wear and shoes I don't wear. Then I'm going to sort out my enormous collection of Hello Kitty merchandise. I have an awful lot. I don't want to get rid of any of that, but I need to sort out what I have.
    Then I'm going to sort out my craft stuff - my yarns and hooks for my crocheting and all my beads and jewellery making stuff for my business. I also have 2 tables (a small one and a pasting table) to find a home for, as I use these for my market stalls)
    After that I will move to my 2 very cluttered bookshelves. I got a kindle for Christmas, but a lot of my books I either don't have on my kindle, or they are craft books.
    Then I will move onto my huge DVD collection. I did film studies at Uni, and amassed a lot of DVD's in that time! I have the first 6 Harry potter films I need to sell, as my BF bought me the limited edition blu-ray and DVD box set for Christmas.
    I need more storage for my craft items - I have seen some nice storage boxes in Ikea that I might go for - £1.70 each isn't bad.
    I figure if I make a list here, I am more likely to stick to it!
    I also need a decent storage system for my collection of mugs from various gigs and concerts I go to. Also my collection of programmes (I have them from all the festivals I have been to, and from some amazing gigs such as Elton John in Glasgow and AC/DC at Wembley Stadium) at the moment they are all in a carrier bag!!!
    the only debt left now is on credit cards! The evil loan has gone!! :j:j
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I don't do some serious decluttering soon then I may lose a family member amongst the gibble!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • katep23
    Options
    Wow glitterkitty, that's a lot of sorting out!

OH finished re-roofing the shed just in time before the rain started - the weather website got it wrong as it wasn't supposed to rain until 4:00. Still, it's done and it looks great so no more feeling ashamed of the state of the shed now.

Have moved on to our bedroom and have decluttered my bedside cabinet and reduced all the stuff from 3 drawers down to 1 so I now have 2 free drawers to put things away - yay!
  • katep23
    Options
    Oh and the cat has even helped out by decluttering some cat nip drops which got spilt in one of the bedside drawers - it's fun for all the family here! :rotfl:
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The decluttered clothes have now left the building. I dropped them off at the charity collection point at the supermarket. I bought a basket to put in the hallway in which to put items left lying there by the children. Only a small basket as I reckon a large one would just become another place to throw stuff in. It was lovely to come down to a (reasonibly) tidy living room this morning, can't wait for the rest of the house to catch-up.

Have a great day everyone.

Pollys x
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • glitterkitty
    Options
    katep23 wrote: »
    Wow glitterkitty, that's a lot of sorting out!

I know! I live in 2 very small bedrooms that have a doorway knocked through to make one room.
    I'm going to donate a lot of DVD's to the charity shop I think.
    I have so much carp. It frustrates me no end. Once I get a house with my BF, I am getting my own craft room or craft area yay! He is getting his own music room too to house his drumkits (yes drumkits plural!!) and guitars and amps and all manner of other things.
    I have a lot of asthma medication too, that I use on a daily basis. That is the only thing I have sorted and organised and tidy in a drawer, that way I can easily see what I am running out of and know when to reorder. It's my little oasis of calm ha ha ha!
    the only debt left now is on credit cards! The evil loan has gone!! :j:j
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glitterkitty - before deciding on what to take to the charity shop, why not look on Amazon or Music Magpie and see how much money you could raise by selling them instead? And then you can donate some of the profits to the charity of your choice but also have some cash for yourself......

I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself, I went back into the loft and threw down a car load of rubbish which I then took to the dump! I was surprised to discover it was open today, so that gave me the impetus to get a bit more stuff out of the house. I HAVE to hoover now though as there was a lot of dust and grot :( My most hated housework job of all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure