PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Kittikins wrote: »
    Hi Becky, people in my local freegle (rather than freecycle) group do list up bunches of magazines, so go for it! Get rid of the junk! :)

Thanks Kittikins, I assume I find freegle if I google it? Is freegle and freecycle the same thing?
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I have got my upstairs stock drawers tidied, organised and categorised various things for example my make up drawer has 4 baskets, one for face, lips, eyes and nails so I can easily find what I'm looking for.

My towels and bed linen has been tidied but it does need some thrown away/freecycled.

All toys have been decluttered and boxed in categories.

Dried goods have been sorted into tubs and labelled appropriately, along with being stacked neatly.

All paperwork is filed into folders and books have been decluttered and organised in alphabetical order.

My plan for the spring is to get the shed organised and put things in various plastic boxes to keep it neat and tidy. I have spent a lot on storage really but it's a definite investment to keep things neat and organised. Anything that I have offered to people free and hasn't been picked up after 2 weeks shall be charity shopped or binned, that's where most of my problem is, I hold onto stuff for people to have that either let me down or people are just not interested in.

I feel good about 2012!
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • LolaLemon
    Options
    Where has my gumption gone? Has anyone seen it? I really miss it!

Plan for today;
    Tree down decorations put in the box for the loft that I recently bought
    All clothes folded and put away
    All shoes put away
    All dishes washed
    All bin bags put in the appropriate bin (had 90mph winds this week so no point putting the in the wheely bins)
    Doesn't sound a lot but is.
    Need to also wrap some crimbo presents to take to work, oh and remember all my harry potter films for one of the girls. If I can find them.
    Hopefully report back around 5 b4 I start getting ready for work
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning

I was up really late last night doing lots of sorting. Decided to do my bedside drawers and the drawer under the bed that I use to store Christmas presents, cards and wrapping paper. I have a notebook and I listed who I need to buy for and what I need to buy. I ticked off a few items as I have bought them in the sales. The drawer under the bed is now super tidy and organised - hopefully it will stay that way.
    Managed to get a carrier bag of recycling/rubbish.

Happy decluttering everyone.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Animal charities often need these, so if you have a local rescue group, I'd give them a call.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    OK so I made a start on the drawers in the bedside table...but got totally sidetracked by the cards and letters I found in there. HMM! I do have such emotional baggage not liking to throw such things out! Before we were married (1970) we actually wrote to each other every single day! When we moved house in 1979 I threw out all those letters - and have regretted it ever since! So if I have kept such things since, I'm really reluctant to throw them. And I wonder why the huse is cluttered! Clearly I need to find a different starting point....
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • mummysaver38
    Options
    Beemuzed, if these really mean something to you, then keep them. I have a box in which I put such things, together with cards I want to keep. They are therefore in one place and I put them in the loft out of the way. However only important cards etc go in there, and general greetings cards get cut up as soon as they are finished with and given to my son't nursery.
    Their=belonging to them, There=over there
    Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
    The Grammar Fairy
  • LolaLemon
    Options
    Half way point update

Tree is down. All decorations have been put in the box
    Sorted out washing has in kitchen... stuff taken out tumble dryer and hung up, as its not getting them dried properly! (Hung up outside open oven, its the only heat source we have just now, and why I'm finally using a tumble dryer)
    Next wash is on...
    Removing al bed linen to get washed next...
    Still to put clothes n shoes away, dishes done and bins out... but I can do that in next 2 hours surely?
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had a motivating thought.

My aim is to spend 15 mins a day decluttering/deep cleaning my office for the month of January. With 31 days in the month, that works out at 7 hours 45 minutes. Just shy of 8 hours, which is an average working day for many people.

How many of us have said the immortal idea 'If I could just have one day, uninterrupted, to sit done and get it done, I'd achieve miracles'

seems a lot more manageable in 15 min bursts doesn't it?!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • wit40iwtwan
    Options
    hmmm not much to say except I took 2 bags to the charity shop (Oxfam) and picked up a £5 voucher for M&S which I hope to use on a fitted sheet or two as that is all we seem to need after sorting out the bedding. Am now in the study procrastinating but I have transferred stuff onto two calendars for January and am busy writing birthday cards for ppl - I have one everyday from today until the 5th!

I joined the email list for the declutter calendar and it arrived by email quickly thereafter - loving the calendar idea as it is simple but effective!

I have also signed up hubby and myself with the gym starting tomorrow for a total of £20.12 each! its a rolling contract so we can go for January and if we like it great, if not cancel but I need a place to run while it is winter so the gym is great during the week and then on weekends I can train outdoors. After Jan the price is just shy of £30 per month which is cheap in comparison to what ppl pay in other parts of the country - it includes all the gym facilities and the pool, sauna and classes...

Right, back to the decluttering of the study or at least shredding paperwork, signing up to musicmagpie and moving handbags that seem to have migrated from their usual place in the bedroom to the floor of the study!
    Well lets see - I dip in and out of MSE all the time but I still come back - have done since 2007!!! 2023 - Fashion on a ration - 5/66 2023 - 1p Chalenge - £18 in Monzo pot (cannot do pennies so am rounding up)2023 - Frugal Living - Budget still to be finalised - ambition is to cut my food budget by 20% by shopping smarter and meal planning 2023 - January - NSD 15/20 February - NSD 3/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure